Scandic Gamla Stan
Anno 1647(Stockholm)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Free Internet
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgamla stanold towngreat locationroof terracebreakfast roomcobblestone streetst banacharming hotelsmall hotelsmall elevatorfourth floorroyal palacethere is no air conditioningmodern bathroomby european standardsstayed here for three nightswould definitely stay here again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 August 2012

I recently spent 3 nights at the Rica Hotel Gamla Stan. I found the hotel to be very clean, charming, "old school", and friendly. The included breakfast is delicious and bountiful. If you take your breakfast earlier than later, you will find it less hectic to find a seat. My room was comfortable with a nice bathroom and shower. I had a window on the ground floor, opening to a pedestrian side street, but never had trouble with street noise. I would recommend this hotel for many reasons, but one of the best is that it is in the "old town". Another is that it is only 3 minutes walk from the subway, which can take you efficiently almost anywhere you want to go. On my arrival date, I got to the hotel before 10am, long before check-in. They are kind enough to safely stow luggage until the room is ready. That enables you to begin exploring right away! There is a lobby bathroom where you can wash your face and hands after travel.
If the opportunity arises, I would gladly stay at the Rica Hotel once again!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank CentralVol
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Nice hotel at the edge of Gamla Stan. Nicely furbished and clean rooms. We had a very small room towards the front which was noisy - trains, car traffic, pedestrians, until very late. Maybe it is better towards the backyard.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms to the front.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BernhardZurich
Reviewed 30 July 2012

Great hotel with authentic ''old times'' design. Makes you feel as you would travel back in time but all extras of the modern life are kept. Rooms are smallish but still very practical with big flat screen TV on the wall.
The best asset of this hotel is its roof terrace where you can enjoy some drinks with great views of the old town.
Breakfast is average. Wider selection of food would be appreciated.

Room Tip: ask for a room on the upper floor
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I am not going to reiterate the praises of other reviewers about the cleanliness of the hotel, the terrific breakfasts and the convenient location to bus, metro and ferry. Every word of their reviews is true. I will add that there are two terraces on the 2nd and 4th floors where guests may enjoy their breakfasts although it is self serve. Bring your food from the breakfast room to the terrace. This is a nice place to read or share a drink with your partner, too, especially if you are trying to save money. A glass of wine at a local restaurant in Gamla Stan will cost 2.5-3 times what you will pay if you purchase from the government store, the System Bolaget, just across the street from the hotel.

Some people have complained about street noise. If this is a problem, request a quiet room when you make your reservation, which is what I did. The staff at Rica Gamla Stan is outstanding, willing to help with each request or problem. We had a standard room on 3rd floor - quiet and very comfortable. During the third day of our stay, my husband and I returned to find water running down one of the interior walls. There had been a heavy hail storm earlier. A maintenance person arrived within minutes of our contacting the staff to confirmed the severity of the problem. The manager and other staff arrived and we were quickly moved to another and nicer room on the same floor. All of this took no more than 15 minutes and we were able to continue with our sightseeing as planned! We loved staying at the Rica Gamla Stan and would definitely stay here again should we return to Stockholm.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank radlil
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We stayed here from July 18 - 21 (yes, we're checking out in another hour and a half) and could not be more pleased with our accomodations.

Due to a last minute change to our itinerary by Delta, we arrived in Stockholm at the ungodly hour of 9:30 AM so obviously our room was not ready. We had originally booked a double, but as we were early the staff asked us if we would mind having two singles for the same rate. My 14 year old son immediately chimed in with "Yes!!!" and was delighted to have his own room.
We were in rooms 101 and 102 (this being Europe means the second story of the building). The single rooms are small by US standards but they were fine for our purposes. We had plenty of room for our suitcases, the beds were very comfortable, the TVs worked, the bathrooms were clean with modern fixtures. As our rooms did not face the street, we had no problem at all with noise. The walls in this building are very solid and the only sound I could hear was if my son opened there door to his room (which was not a bad thing in my opinion). True, the hotel does not have A/C but I can't imagine why anyone would need it in Stockholm. It seldom gets above 71 or 72 F even in July. The windows open and in terms of climate control, we were never uncomfortable.

The front desk staff was very friendly and accomodating. The location was perfect. It's right in the heart of Gamla Stan, just a block and a half from the T-bahn and a five minute walk from the Royal Palace. Another good thing is that Lilla Nygatan is just a little bit out of the way of the crowds so that it's a bit more quiet and less hectic than some of the other hotels in Gamla Stan.

The free breakfast is absolutely wonderful: fresh breads and pastries, meats, cheeses, eggs, bacon, pancakes, fruit, yogurt, just about anything one could want for breakfast. I only took one trip through the buffet line but even then with all the food in the morning it made lunch unnecessary.
I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Rooms facing back of building or interior patio are quietest.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family