Hotel Esplanade, Sure Hotel Collection by Best Western
Nobis Hotel(Stockholm)
Grand Hotel(Stockholm)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsno elevatorgreat locationliving abroadcurved staircasefirst floorold townlovely old hotelart nouveauoverlooking the courtyardroad noisesmall hotelhot dishesclose to public transportwithin walking distancesitting roomcentral locationshort walk
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed at the Esplanade for six days. The hotel is almost unchanged since its heyday, which was in the thirties. The decor and furnishings are all original. The only real change since then are the bathrooms, which are pushed into a corner area in the hallway. Necessity has meant raising the floor which can be quite treacherous, particularly at night. The rooms are huge, with high ceilings, and super size beds. The breakfast is excellent, with some hot food and lots of lovely cheese and bread. The situation is ideal, in the posh area of Strandvegen. Just a short walk to all the sights. The desk staff were very efficient, helpful and spoke excellent English. There is free wifi and satellite tv. There is really nothing for children to do here, no games room and no garden. Some of the decorations are understandably showing their age. The herring block parquet has lost its varnish and I think would benefit from being sanded and varnished. But it is hard to maintain an original feel without compromising.

Room Tip: A room overlooking the water, facing onto the road would be best.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mikkimus
Reviewed 29 September 2013

The hotel is only a small part of the beautiful building seen on it's advertisement photo. The interior is beautiful but in need of refreshing. The traffic on the street below was very noisy both nights. The windows do not close properly to keep the noise away. At the same time the room felt stuffy in mid-June when the weather outside was on the cool side so we needed to bring some fresh air in. We could not sleep.We agree with everything review titled “Great location but be prepared” has to say. In addition, when we asked for a taxi, we were led to a side street where we were picked up by a taxi which gave us a round-about the city drive. We were aware that our destination was within a less than 10 minutes drive from the hotel. The “detour” was blamed on the traffic. I had a map on my lap so I know that we were being driven in circles. There is no way that we can blame the hotel for the bad taxi drive, but we think that a reputable establishment never uses other unreliable services. One receptionist was very pleasant and accommodating another rude and dismissive. We travel a great deal, this is the first time that we feel as unsatisfied with a hotel as we do with Hotel Esplanade. We will never stay there again. There are many hotels in Stockholm with great locations.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank vmfaulkner
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed at Hotel Esplanade this previous weekend on a quick sight-seeing trip to Stockholm. The hotel was located in a very convenient part of Stockholm, and within walking distance to most of the attractions and shopping areas. The hotel is very charming, although the decor is a bit dated. I think this is the perfect hotel if you are looking for a reasonably priced room in a very good location of town, but do not expect 5-star quality. A pleasant suprise was the high level of service by the hotel's staff. The front desk was very informative about things to do in the area, and extremely friendly. The breakfast buffet was also quite impressive given its variety. I would definitely come back to the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2013

The Hotel Explanade on first glance is very charming. Very old world, room very spacious, and close to all the action. The furnishings, although dated, were fine. This seemed like a good idea until nightfall. The hotel has no air conditioning (fine, no problem) but it was very warm and we needed to open the windows to sleep (again, fine, no problem). However, the night time traffic on Strandvagen was unbelievable with racing engines, honking horns and blaring music. None of us were able to sleep at all both night in this hotel. The noise was beyond usual city traffic. It seemed to be a drag strip. If location is key for you, this is the place. So convenient to Old Town, walking distance to the Vasa and Abba museums, etc. But, if you require a good night's sleep, this might not be the best choice for you in the summer months.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank travelfamilyTulsa_OK
Reviewed 1 August 2013

After reading other trip advisor reviews my expectations on this hotel sank. After my 2-night stay with my 9-yearold son, I was delighted that our stay was a great one. And I think some of the reviews are unfair. This is an old building and you have to be able to take the charm that comes with that. For example, yes the bathrooms are an addition within the rooms - of course, since there were no bathrooms in each room when this hotel was built. We stayed in a single room with an extra bed and have no complaints about the size, bathroom (which was as new) and cleanliness. The location is obviously one of the best you can get in Stockholm. The breakfast very good, and a very Swedish hotel breakfast, of the kind that a Swede now living abroad enjoyed immensly. The lady (I assume the owner) in reception was very nice and also helped me out when my adaptor for the poer outlets didn't fit. I would absolutely recommend this hotel. But of course, you have to be openminded about an old building and not expect spotless "as new" feeling.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family