“Great Hotel In Great Location”
Review of Hotel Esplanade

Hotel Esplanade
Ranked #70 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
BC Canada
“Great Hotel In Great Location”
Reviewed 17 October 2008

Hotel Esplanade came with the Stockholm Card, which is exceedingly useful - I saved around $200 plus in museum fees, bus,train etc.
Hotel overlooks the harbour within walking distance of Everything you might want to see from the Town Hall to the ""Pippi Longstocking"" park!

My single room was medium size, with shower (and safe) - very clean and quiet. Breakfast excellent - the usual cereals, juices, yogurts, cold meats, eggs and other hot dishes, various breads (delicious) excellent coffees - lots of choice.
Charge card to book, but only debited about a week after you have left !
Being a female senior lone traveller, I booked the airport bus that drops you off/picks up at your hotel - as I was unsure of distances from the Bus/Train station to my hotel, plus arrival was at night. However next time will know I can walk just about everywhere.
Great city - loved it, weather warm.

• Liked — really good location and quiet
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Alsace
Reviewed 26 May 2008

The hotel is located in the center of Stockholm close to the main tourist attractions, restaurants, theaters .... and the sea. The hotel itself is old but well maintained. It has nicely decorated rooms, like the lounge where you can read tons of books available and surf the web for free. The rooms have the necessary comfort you need (TV, safe, fridge) and the price is okay, compared to the high prices everywhere in Stockholm. The staff is very nice and always ready to help for all your requests (free map of stockholm, taxi booking, early check out ...). We really enjoyed our stay in this family-owned hotel.

• Liked — the atmosphere in the hotel and the staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
new york
Reviewed 29 August 2007

The Hotel Esplanade in Stockholm was a beautiful, classy place full of unpretentious elegance. We stayed in a double room with two extra beds for teenage children. It worked out fine. The room was really very nice. The bathroom was small but looked new. They may have a problem in the future as there was no shower curbing to hold in the water while it drained. We had to put a towel to prevent it from flooding the floor.
I will definitely stay there the next time we visit Stockholm.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank norskara
Reviewed 8 April 2007

I am surprised to see a couple of bad reviews for this hotel. I had a very lovely stay here (two nights in April 2007 - at the start and end of a trip out to the Ice Hotel).

We stayed in room 10 which was the biggest hotel room I've ever been in. Yes its slightly worn at the edges but this is a very old and charming building so what do you expect? If you want something modern and characterless go somewhere else!

The view from room 10 over the waterfront is absolutely wonderful. Expect a little bit of road traffic though. Someone mentioned the bed as a problem. The bed is soft and normally I'd find that a problem but actually I slept very very well. There is a thin soft matress pad on top of a firmer bed matress base.

The furniture in the room is old and lovely. The room bright and spacious. The communal spaces are full of lovely easy chairs next to large windows with views. There was evidence of some re-decorating going on.

The bathroom perhaps let the room down a little in that it's rather plain and nothing special (when compared to the room itself) but is certainly functional.

Breakfast was a buffet affair in a small dining room with stained glass window. Lots of nice breads, fruit, yogurts, cold meats and cheeses. Plenty available. They play some gentle music at breakfast time (Nora Jones type stuff).

There is plenty of helpful literature in the reception area to help you plan your stay. Also we found the lady at reception to be very helpful and friendly. We asked if we could have the same room on the return portion of our trip and she organised this for us. She was also very understanding when we realised we'd left the booking voucher for the room on the return leg at the Ice Hotel by mistake!

The location of the hotel is very good for getting around. If you have mobility problems you might want somewhere a little nearer to Gamla Stan but otherwise this is a pleasant walk away. There are plenty of shops and eateries in the area.

Overall a very enjoyable stay and I would not be put off this hotel but others reviews unless your into your hotels being very pristine and ultra modern.

Stayed April 2007
4 Thank madassoup
Spain
Reviewed 2 December 2006

I stayed on 1st of August 2006 and I spent a lovely time with my boyfriend is Stockholm (I couldn´t believe it, the weather was the sunniest!)
The hotel is part of a beutiful and old building. The location is perfect. The surroundings are beautiful and you can find a lot of nice reustarants at reasonable prices.
Although a full renovation is need I can recommend this hotel to everybody who love charming hotels.
The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The view from the room was the best, it was overlooking the harbour (at least the one I had...in the first floor, I am not sure if was nº 10...)
It isn´t a luxury hotel but it's very charming.
The breakfast consists in a (-) high quality full buffet.
In my opinion is a little bit expensive, but in Stockholm everything is a bit overpriced....)

• Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
5 Thank spanishtraveller77
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2006

I have never encountered such a rude and horrible reception person in my life. I had a booking for this hotel, which on the surface looked quite nice. However when I went to check in I asked first if I could use the bathroom. The reception clerk was rude and just said "no". On account of this I left (having not had to leave a credit card to secure the booking) and found alternative accommodation elsewhere. If the clerk is the friendly face of this hotel, then they can expect many more walk outs.

Stayed June 2006
3 Thank kevinpng
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 25 June 2006

AVOID THIS HOTEL! The staff is rude (especially the girl on a desk evening June 25). Plain, average hotel (why it has 4 stars?), it looks like it is abandoned, quite scary, empty, without a soul... They have no Internet, could you believe it? I had to go to the Internet caffe. The location is great, but it is all - a nice building but sad hotel.
My impression was maybe so bad because before I have stayed in Lady Hamilton Hotel in Stockholm, which is completely opposite in everything.
It is clean, but it deffinitively not enough...

• Stayed June 2006