“Beautiful rooms and splendid location in the middle of the city”

Hotel Esplanade, Sure Hotel Collection by Best Western
Ranked #67 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 29 May 2009

Beautiful view to the Nybroviken bay!
The building was erected arround 1905 and the interior is beatiful decorated. Our room (12) is facing the road and the only downsides I saw where the fact that is somewhat noisy from the trafic in front of the hotel and there is a door linking the next room and one can hear the neighbour voice through it. Anyway, this door is blocked by the wardrobe, so you don't have to worry that the neighbour is gonna pay you an unexpected visit. ;)
Front desk is allways available, ready to help and really "customer oriented".
Breakfast is good and diversified but not diversified enough for a vegetarian. The restaurant is very small and beautiful but is opened only for breakfast.
There is free internet access through wi-fi link, but I couldn't make an internet voicecall (to tell my friends how much I enjoy the stay) because during the day the signal was poor most of the time and the link broke often.
The location of the hotel is at 10 minutes walk from the Royal Palace and the old town! I liked that too, because we have stayed 10 days and being so central it was an advantage in every day:)
It was the first time we have visited Stockholm and this hotel helped us even more to fall in love with the city. Truly, Stockholm is the Venice of the Nord!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 October 2008

Stockholm was our first stop after the trans-Atlantic flight from Seattle and what a great first night. The front desk staff was great and the room was charming. Had a great suite with nice amenities for the price - the best of which was the Stockholm Card. While we usually don't find good value in these for a short stay (and/or we'd have to run all over the place to get our 'money's worth' which isn't always realistic traveling with a 10 year old) but this one was a great tool for the trip. The hotel is wonderfully situated on the harbor so we used the harbor ferries to get around to many of the sites - which was a treat in and of itself. Buffet breakfast was fresh and generous, a great way to start off the day sightseeing. Lots of shops and restaurants close by as well. Definitely worth a few extra $ to stay here if you're only in Stockholm for a night or two - convenient location and amenities - plus very helpful and friendly staff make it worth it!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank FoiledSeattle
Reviewed 17 October 2008

Hotel Esplanade came with the Stockholm Card, which is exceedingly useful - I saved around $200 plus in museum fees, bus,train etc.
Hotel overlooks the harbour within walking distance of Everything you might want to see from the Town Hall to the ""Pippi Longstocking"" park!

My single room was medium size, with shower (and safe) - very clean and quiet. Breakfast excellent - the usual cereals, juices, yogurts, cold meats, eggs and other hot dishes, various breads (delicious) excellent coffees - lots of choice.
Charge card to book, but only debited about a week after you have left !
Being a female senior lone traveller, I booked the airport bus that drops you off/picks up at your hotel - as I was unsure of distances from the Bus/Train station to my hotel, plus arrival was at night. However next time will know I can walk just about everywhere.
Great city - loved it, weather warm.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 May 2008

The hotel is located in the center of Stockholm close to the main tourist attractions, restaurants, theaters .... and the sea. The hotel itself is old but well maintained. It has nicely decorated rooms, like the lounge where you can read tons of books available and surf the web for free. The rooms have the necessary comfort you need (TV, safe, fridge) and the price is okay, compared to the high prices everywhere in Stockholm. The staff is very nice and always ready to help for all your requests (free map of stockholm, taxi booking, early check out ...). We really enjoyed our stay in this family-owned hotel.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2007

The Hotel Esplanade in Stockholm was a beautiful, classy place full of unpretentious elegance. We stayed in a double room with two extra beds for teenage children. It worked out fine. The room was really very nice. The bathroom was small but looked new. They may have a problem in the future as there was no shower curbing to hold in the water while it drained. We had to put a towel to prevent it from flooding the floor.
I will definitely stay there the next time we visit Stockholm.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank norskara
Reviewed 8 April 2007

I am surprised to see a couple of bad reviews for this hotel. I had a very lovely stay here (two nights in April 2007 - at the start and end of a trip out to the Ice Hotel).

We stayed in room 10 which was the biggest hotel room I've ever been in. Yes its slightly worn at the edges but this is a very old and charming building so what do you expect? If you want something modern and characterless go somewhere else!

The view from room 10 over the waterfront is absolutely wonderful. Expect a little bit of road traffic though. Someone mentioned the bed as a problem. The bed is soft and normally I'd find that a problem but actually I slept very very well. There is a thin soft matress pad on top of a firmer bed matress base.

The furniture in the room is old and lovely. The room bright and spacious. The communal spaces are full of lovely easy chairs next to large windows with views. There was evidence of some re-decorating going on.

The bathroom perhaps let the room down a little in that it's rather plain and nothing special (when compared to the room itself) but is certainly functional.

Breakfast was a buffet affair in a small dining room with stained glass window. Lots of nice breads, fruit, yogurts, cold meats and cheeses. Plenty available. They play some gentle music at breakfast time (Nora Jones type stuff).

There is plenty of helpful literature in the reception area to help you plan your stay. Also we found the lady at reception to be very helpful and friendly. We asked if we could have the same room on the return portion of our trip and she organised this for us. She was also very understanding when we realised we'd left the booking voucher for the room on the return leg at the Ice Hotel by mistake!

The location of the hotel is very good for getting around. If you have mobility problems you might want somewhere a little nearer to Gamla Stan but otherwise this is a pleasant walk away. There are plenty of shops and eateries in the area.

Overall a very enjoyable stay and I would not be put off this hotel but others reviews unless your into your hotels being very pristine and ultra modern.

Stayed: April 2007
4  Thank madassoup
Reviewed 2 December 2006

I stayed on 1st of August 2006 and I spent a lovely time with my boyfriend is Stockholm (I couldn´t believe it, the weather was the sunniest!)
The hotel is part of a beutiful and old building. The location is perfect. The surroundings are beautiful and you can find a lot of nice reustarants at reasonable prices.
Although a full renovation is need I can recommend this hotel to everybody who love charming hotels.
The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The view from the room was the best, it was overlooking the harbour (at least the one I had...in the first floor, I am not sure if was nº 10...)
It isn´t a luxury hotel but it's very charming.
The breakfast consists in a (-) high quality full buffet.
In my opinion is a little bit expensive, but in Stockholm everything is a bit overpriced....)

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled as a couple