“Perfect location”

Ranked #4 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Sussex, England
“Perfect location”
Reviewed 11 January 2014

We visited Stockholm just before Christmas. This was our first trip, and we selected the Grand based largely on assurances that the location is perfect for exploring the city. The assurances are spot on, the location is.absoluty fantastic. Great views over the water to the Royal Palace, easy walk to the Old Town and metres away from sightseeing buses and boats.

Very professional and friendly welcome from the doormen and bellboys. We were escorted to the reception area where we were quickly checked in and assigned our room in the annex. The lobby was very busy with people milling about ahead of a function. The annex is a fair walk away, and as other reviewers have noted this means having to weave through crowds outside the function rooms.

Our room was in a 6th floor corner overlooking the front of the hotel and harbour. Fabulous views both during the day and at night when the Christmas lights sparkle.
The room was very spacious with separate sleeping, sitting, dining and study areas. There was a large panelled separate walk-in wardrobe. The bathroom was very big with standalone shower and bathtub, and toilet n a separate room.
Whilst certainly luxurious, the decor verges on the bland. Could do with some splashes of colour. Large comfy bed and sofa. With the curtains drawn, the radiators were rendered less effective and the room cooled down significantly.

We had the famous smorgasbord breakfast on both mornings. Great window table the first day, but we had to queue for 15 minutes or so on the Sunday. The buffet itself was plentiful with loads of choice. Very good service and plates cleared away promptly. We were not at all impressed by the more casual of the two Matthias Dahlgren restaurants, but have left that for a separate review in te restaurant section.

We made sure to visit the spa and really enjoyed it. Very luxuriously appointed, warm and relaxing. Excellent policy of not allowing under 16's outside of certain times.

We found all hotel staff very friendly, professional and helpful throughout our stay.

We thoroughly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for harbour views
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SussexCpl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed one night to experince the Nordic Spa. The spa is excellent with the different pools and quitet room. It's a delciuous architecture adn very serviceminded staff. Easy 5+!
The room in the hotel was okey. Nothing more nothing less. Great roomservice.
Unfortunately the dinner restaurant is a disaster. In this kind of priceclass you don't expect; powder potatomash instead of mashed fennel (not informed), boiled vegetables and risotto not boiled enough. Because of this we had to eat our dinners seperatley even though my boyfriend ordered a cheese-plate to accaompanie me. This we got when I finished my risotto.
A would recommend this hotel, with a very kind staff overall, but stay far away from the restaurant.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

If you go to a hotel and think 'this is how I want my bedroom', that is normally an indicator that they have done it right. The rooms were just wonderfully decorated, elegant, considered and refined. Never had been to Stockholm (or the Grand) but felt very well looked after from start to finish. Food was lovely, stupidly expensive room service, so worth keeping an eye on small print. Well worth staying- despite the hectic day of meetings felt enormously relaxed the moment I stepped in the hotel room.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Saro, Sweden
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I just returned from a quick, one-night stay at the Grand Hotel. I was travelling with my five-year old and seven-month old sons. The hotel was very accommodating, friendly, and helpful. The hotel is beautiful, if in need of some refurbishments in the public areas. We had a premium room, which was very spacious. There was plenty of room for the crib; none of the furniture (sofa or chairs, for example) had to be moved. The bathroom was truly luxurious with one drawback - the towels. There were not enough wash cloths (only two), and no hand towels. And the towels that were provided should be replaced with thicker, softer towels.

The breakfast was better than average, but not spectacular. When we arrived, there was only one other table occupied. We were seated by the buffet, which was useful given I had two children with me. However, another family with one child was seated right next to us, which I found a bit strange, given the vast emptiness of the restaurant. Perhaps they make an effort to put all families with children near the buffet, I'm not sure. But it would have been nice to separate us by at least one of the many empty tables!

This was our second stay at the Grand. My husband and I stayed three nights last summer in a suite. The service was the same - very good. The room was also very spacious and well thought out. So, I would say it appears to be a consistently reliable hotel for understated luxury. All in all, I would recommend this hotel quite highly.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 3pojkar
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I was not incredibly impressed by the Grand Hotel, but would nevertheless recommend it . The location is incomparable as the key museums and the palace are walking distance and there is a subway stop and numerous bus and tram lines nearby. It is indeed a very elegant hotel with a look of decades gone by. The common areas and elevators are dated and I was surprised by the scuffs and marks on the doors of the very mundane elevators. Fortunately the rooms have been refurbished to a modern style, with a nod to the past and the bathrooms are on par with what you would find in a modern luxury hotel. I was absolutely shocked to find that the bathroom in my first room did not have a bathtub – when you are paying such high prices for a hotel you do not expect to have to request a room with a bath. To the hotel’s credit, the staff at the front desk quickly found me a room with a large tub in an immense bathroom which absolutely delighted me. Unfortunately this room was in the annex (“You will be so close to the spa spa” I was told at the front desk, as if this were a much more desirable location. It is also where various conferences and meetings are held so I constantly had to make my way through conference-goers to get to my room). I was told I could switch back to the main part of the hotel on the second day of my stay, but quite frankly, I did not want to relinquish my wonderful bathroom!
The staff are solicitous and proved extremely helpful when I had questions or concerns. The breakfast buffet is expansive and the not particularly pretty or luxurious breakfast room does overlook the water and the palace in the near distance. When I traded rooms, I relinquished a high ceilinged-room with a street view for a much lower height room with a “courtyard” view (translated: an internal shaft – what a disappointment). However, I cannot stress enough that the room refurbishment is well done, with good lighting and every amenity clearly considered. I would return to the hotel with lowered expectations next time around.

Room Tip: If you like a bath, be sure to request a tub when you book your room - not every room has one.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank RWorldtraveler
Portland, Maine
Reviewed 26 December 2013

A less-than-once-in-lifetime event brought my husband and me to Stockholm to attend the Nobel Prize events in December, thanks to brilliance of our friend who won an award. Since the Grand Hôtel served as "Nobel Central" with all laureates, dignitaries, family, and friends staying at this magnificent hotel we, of course, chose to follow suit. What struck me initially when we arrived at the hotel was the intimacy of the surroundings. Walking through the door and up a flight of stairs, you are greeted by a reception area rectangular in design with a fresh Christmas tree, beautifully lit with white lights, in its center. No cavernous reception area greets you but smiling, impeccably dressed staff (you'll recognize Peter and Marcus by their smiles, approachability, and willingness to help with any request, usually offering without your thinking of it first) approaching you to welcome you and offer assistance. Staff seem to be stationed throughout the hotel for the sole purpose of guest assistance. Their "can-do" attitude, always with a smile, added to the festive spirit everyone was in as we celebrated the remarkable accomplishments of a unique group of laureates. Intimacy seems to be a trademark of the Grand Hôtel, for wherever we chose to visit with friends or have a drink or a meal, there were lovely areas to meet up. From the cozy Cadier Bar (Mohammed gets special thanks here for his attentive service our last evening in Stockholm and delivery of delectable cookies when we were too full for dessert but wanted a little treat) with nooks and crannies with comfortable upholstered chairs and couches to relax in (with floor to ceiling windows that overlook the harbor, the palace, and the Old Town of Gamla Stan, all lit with white lights & distant Christmas trees for the holidays) to the Veranda restaurant where we ate breakfast observing the activity of the harbor below, the experiences were charming and magical.
The location of the hotel is perfect for walking to the old part of the city, simply by crossing a nearby bridge. If modern day shopping is your preference, right around the corner is the major department store NK, similar to Galeries Lafayette or Bon Marché in Paris or Harrods in London.
Our room was as lovely as you'd expect from any 5* rated hotel with two sparkling chandeliers and a pristine bathroom, complete with Molton Brown toiletries. As a previous writer mentioned, there are no hand towels, just large bath towels and facecloths. I, too, would have preferred a hand towel or two next to the sink. I've never had a hotel room with a doorbell before but it was fun ringing it, just because I could!
It was lovely walking down the hotel corridors and seeing live decorated Christmas trees sprinkled throughout the hotel, tucked in corners and at intersections of hallways. Christmas music was played through their sound system, seemingly always American traditional songs. Decorations for the holidays were elegant in their simplicity with vases of deep red amaryllis bouquets displayed on tables, counters, and desks.
Initially I was concerned about the "snob" factor of staying in such a highly rated hotel as our travels do not typically include 5* accommodations. However, we were delighted with our stay during Nobel week in Stockholm and the effortless way the Grand Hôtel staff incorporated a world renowned event with the needs of all their guests, making every one feel truly welcomed and honored to serve. I would be remiss if I did not mention several other people who went above and beyond to ensure a memorable stay, that of Sophie whose diminutive size belied a formability and control of all things "Nobel." She is the epitome of organization, spunk, and Duracell bunny, all wrapped up in a smile. Egil and Brittmari are two lovely long time employees who are some of the first people who greet you upon entering the Grand. Whether taking photos from your camera or gathering Swedish newspapers with Nobel events for our laureate friend, no request is denied. Their employment longevity speaks volumes of the respect the Grand Hôtel has for these fine employees. I publicly send my thanks and gratitude to them and the many who made our stay one we will carry in our hearts and memories forever.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank FezoRN
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We arrived at the famous Grand hotel in Stockholm one day after the Nobel prize ceremony. The hotel was still buzzing with people. It's a beautiful hotel, the rooms are generous, unlike many European hotels and the service was impeccable. Everyone was very nice and accommodating. The breakfast buffet is a must as the spread is impressive and delicious!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family