“Best hotel in Stockholm”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
London, United Kingdom
“Best hotel in Stockholm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

The Grand Hotel is my favourite hotel in Stockholm - hands down! Only drawback is the price tag, but it's fair considering the quality. Rooms are lovely and very classic, service throughout is impeccable and the fitness & spa facilities are amazing.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank niho05ab
Dean B, Director of Sales at Grand Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear Nina H

We were delighted to read your positive comments especially regarding the Spa. Thank you.

Warm regards
Dean

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at the Grand for a one night stop over with our family and it was easily the nicest place I've stayed in a while. Took great care of us and provided wee robes and slippers for our kids.

The room was great...but strangely I found the bed too comfortable - haha.

It was a bit pricey but perfect for a one night luxury splurge.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jamie K
Tokyo, Japan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

We picked the Grand Hotel based on people's reviews at the time, which were rather positive. Honestly, the pictures on hotel's web site didn't impress us very much, because we got the feeling that they are quite cramped. We ended up choosing the De Lux Double room with a waterfront view, which was very nice. The beds were very huge and really comfortable. We had access to high-speed internet for free, and our room minibar was packed. We also had a complimentary entrance to the spa, which was very good. I have also nothing but the words of praise for the food, although the restaurant was almost always overcrowded.
The negative side: the staff wasn't so diligent as we expected. We arrived by our limousine company, the same one we used everywhere we traveled in Europe, and nobody from the hotel came to help us with our luggage. Our driver ended up helping us carrying the bags inside. The staff wasn't rude or anything, but they seemed to disappear somewhere quite often.
All in all: I cherish every experience, but I will probably stay somewhere else next time I travel to Stockholm. The prices and stars don't quite match the reality...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Yoshi T
Ocean Ridge, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

As we were leaving on a Baltic Cruise, from Stockholm to London, we chose this gorgeous hotel because it was the only American Express Platinum Travel property in Stockholm. We always use Amex Travel because of the amenities included. This hotel definitely lived up to its' name. We were warmly greeted by the wonderful staff, and having asked for a quiet room (after our flight from Miami to London, and then to Stockholm), we were upgraded to a beautiful suite (one of the perks of using Platinum Travel), Suite #6601, which was gorgeous, large, and quiet! The bathroom was one of the loveliest in Europe, and it had a second bath for my husband. We were there during the "midnight sun", so we especially appreciated the heavy black-out drapery in both the living room and bedroom. The suite was beautifully and tastefully furnished, with a combination of antique and modern furniture. It was especially clean and our request for non-allergenic pillows and duvet was promptly addressed. Our stay included breakfast (fabulous buffet), served in what used to be the "grand dining room", with absolutely breathtaking decor on the walls and ceilings. My husband kept admiring the woodworking throughout the hotel - especially the thick carved doors, and the double windows - therefore, no outside noise! We had dinner our first evening in the hotel's dining room, which was great, and then took a stroll into the "old town". This hotel is perfectly located, right across from the Palace, and on the water, and a short walk to the old town. On our second day, my cousins from Stockholm, drove from their respective summer cottages to meet us, and we had a lovely smorgasbord luncheon, also in the hotel. We had our dinner in the hotel that night also - that's how good the food was......Our two night stay was 11,459.00 SEK. This came to $1695.92 USD for the two nights, including breakfast, lunch and two dinners. I estimate the suite was approximately $600 per night, which for Stockholm and the gorgeous suite we were given, is a good value. Having stayed at the Four Seasons in Paris for 1200 EU per night, and the Four Seasons in Florence for 1400 EU per night, we were pleasantly surprised.....my Amex bill was waiting when we arrived home from our cruise last night! We left the hotel around 2:00 p.m. and boarded Oceania Marina (Suite 12014 - fabulous!!), for our Baltic Cruise. We will definitely go back to Stockholm and this is the ONLY choice for us! GRAND - exceptional service, cleanliness, views - this hotel has it all. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: We had a partial view from the living room of the water and a view from the bedroom of the gardens...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cleopatra561
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,115 helpful votes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

Founded by a Frenchman......it’s a pity the French did not still run it. Although the location could not be better and this really is one of THE grand hotels of Europe and indeed the world my guess is they place profit before everything. Hotels such as The Grand (and others in Europe) originally taught the rest of the world how to do it.....and then the rest of the world made it even better, especially in the USA....and the fact is that management could improve the guest experience.

We stayed for three nights. This is the first hotel we have ever stayed at where, when spending the equivalent of a couple of hundred pounds on a few cocktails...they then charge for nuts and olives!!! And it is quite a charge. WHY? I enjoy using the bars in hotels we stay at....in fact a great bar and a good concierge can make five star properties into truly outstanding experiences but not here.

For a Grand Hotel, they do most things well except the Concierge service. We asked the Concierge desk for a reservation at the best Italian restaurant and we were sent to a “popular” restaurant, so “popular” that we thought it was shut as we reached the place.....the huge windows made it obvious as we approached that there was not a single person dining in the entire place....it was 100% empty but every other restaurant in the area was packed and some with waiting times of up to one hour. Two hours later, after we were walking past after diner at a nearby packed restaurant we noticed that the “popular” Italian restaurant had given up and the staff had closed and gone home. Very odd but it got worse.....

The next day I realised I had brought the wrong power cable for my latest Macbook from the UK and so the concierge told me to go to a store called NK to buy another, informing me that the actual Apple store was a 20 minute can ride away in taxi but I should go to a store called NK and they wrote this down for me, also marking it on a map. Later, instead of going on a family boat trip I went off to buy my cable as it was important to me. I arrived at the store and searched from top to bottom....they do not sell any computers or accessories at NK. For this I had missed a family trip and walked across town on a very hot day just to waste my time.

Before arriving in Sweden I had asked the concierge by email to advise on and arrange transfers from the airport. I did not realise that they were quoting for their own, hotel owned vehicles. The cost quoted for a Mercedes Viano and a car (we needed both due to our luggage) was quoted at 2870 Kroner. Two Vianos turned up, the service was very good (as i the hotel). However, the airport is quite a drive away and so although a little expensive I would definitely recommend the hotel’s vehicles. BUT the Concierge also quoted me for a short local drive expected to be around 15 minutes......and quoted 2570 Kroner for the same vehicles......and that is really expensive compared to two large taxis which should cost around one fifth of that price. They also warn that they have a 24 hour cancellation policy. WHY when these are the hotel’s own vehicles? When my wife went to the Concierge desk on our final night at 7.10pm they weren’t even there and she waited for ten minutes for someone to appear. I listened to them giving vague directions to some foreign tourists and they were sloppy....it is as if, with some of them, that they don’t really care. They are letting down an otherwise superb hotel. Best to double check everything the concierge desk tells you. The Concierge at the hotels we stay at in the USA could teach this lot a thing or two. It’s not as if there is that much for them to know about Stockholm.

As for the rest of the hotel.......

The Grand is a very high quality hotel......the Frenchman who built it laid down the groundwork much of which remains.....our suite was perfect. The bathrooms are perfect.....towels large.....showers work well.....extras are high quality....rooms large and comfortable...everything is of a high standard. Reception staff are superb. The welcome on arrival was outstanding....their reception managers are impeccable, charming and experienced...we were welcomed by Daniel Cullberg who was outside to greet us as we arrived..... as a result of which I doubted anything would go wrong at The Grand. They need a few people like Daniel on the concierge desk!

Breakfast is in a room over-packed with tables although the breakfast itself is good but not consistent. A shame they cannot make the room less packed with tables and provide breakfast in the summer months also in their outdoor terrace restaurant. The breakfast room felt a little oppressive as it was so busy, with guests bumping into each other in their missions. For a hotel with over 300 rooms I can understand that breakfast gets busy so why not use outdoors as well? Cost and profit?

I don’t know what the rest of the hotels in Stockholm are like but I guess I would stay here again if I ever return as the location cannot be beaten, the building, both inside and out is outstanding and no doubt the concierge service will be improved.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank BarryAscot
Dallas, Texas, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

Our first stop in Scandinavia was Stockholm, and we had picked this hotel based on previous reviews and having seen it from the cruise ship years earlier. I want to start the review with praise for the most important asset this hotel has. It's employees. They have mastered the art of customer service, and special kudos to Mikhail at the front desk and Nina at the concierge desk for their exemplary service. Now for the room, we had booked a premiun harbor view. We were upgraded to a junior suite which had a harbor view if you leaned to one side of the bedroom window. The neighboring hotel (also owned by the Grand) featured an outside bar with live music that lasted until 10pm. Even earplugs did not help. The room itself was large, but decorated with furniture that could have been purchased at a yard sale. Not the quality one would expect from this price point or star rating. The bath was adequate with a bath and shower, but the WC always had the smell of a public restroom. In short, the hotel is in severe need of a Grand renovation.

Room Tip: If requesting a harbor view, ask for a room above floor 3
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim H
Sugar Land, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed 3 nights at this beautiful hotel. When we checked in our room wasn't ready so the hotel told us to go in the bar and order anything we wanted until our room was ready. Our room was spacious and we faced the harbor. The hotel is in a perfect location and all of the staff was exceptional. Great place to stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple