“elegant with old school class”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
London, United Kingdom
“elegant with old school class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2010

A frequent visitor to Stockholm, I have stayed in a number of hotels in the city, though have returned to the Grand again and again. The Grand is certainly not funky though it does not aspire to be. It is pure classic sedate Stockholm, with a legendary breakfast room. The rooms vary in size and price and are uncluttered, clean and modern. The service is friendly and helpful. It is not at the centre of the bustling old town nor is it planted in the new town but sits elegantly overlooking one of the harbours. Sure, it is expensive, but it is not looking to attract bargain hunters. A classic.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2010

We arrived in Stockholm during the week between Xmas and New Years and booked through Leading Hotels of the World, which guaranteed us an upgrade. We did not receive the upgrade because the hotel was full. That was ok....our deluxe room was old, but huge, on a high floor and overlooking the harbor. It was very cold though and we had no access to control heat. But they brought us a portable heater and then we were fine. Bed was very comfy. Upon arriving, we immediately made a reservation for dinner at Mathias Dahlgren and were told they would "probably" have room at 6pm. Hearing no confirmation or denial, we assumed all was set. So at 6pm we showed up only to find that they did not have our reservation! The concierge had neglected to tell us there was a problem. We were pretty upset as we were extremely dressed up and they wanted us to eat in the casual dining area. We also didn't know what we were now supposed to do about dinner. To the hotel's credit, they found us another excellent restaurant in town and even paid our taxi fare to and from. I believe the name is Divinos, which had excellent, excellent food, but wasn't very fancy. Others were dressed in jeans and we were in semi-formal wear. Oh well. We also received a letter of apology from the hotel (and chocolates). I feel they did try to make up for the mistake, but sadly we never were able to get a reservation at this restaurant because they closed after New Years. We left for a few days to celebrate New Years in Berlin, and then flew back to Stockholm a couple days later. Apparently locals had booked this restaurant weeks in advance. A hotel should prioritize some space to the hotel guests. This was disappointing. Good thing on this return leg of our trip - THIS time, we DID get our upgrade and the room was gorgeous and newer than the first. Same wonderful harbor view. The other restaurant, Verandan, is also pretty nice. Again, one wall is nothing but huge windows so you have a panoramic harbor view. The Smorgesbord at night is exceptional, but they should vary the selections. We were getting bored with the same choices day after day. Same with breakfast. Great food, but as with everything, it gets boring with no variety.
Staff was wonderful, friendly and helpful and internet was free, they brought water and towels every evening during turndown service. I think this was a wonderful hotel and within walking distance of everything. The ambiance of the lobby, bar and Verdan restaurant are all within 5-star levels and we always stay in 5 stars. This hotel did not disappoint.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank krueger33
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2010

I wish I could better rate this hotel but for the money spent it deserves an average 3/5 star. The deluxe rooms although nice are worn looking, and the bed could be something more than a platform bed/ futon caliber of a mattress. The staff although efficient are cold and indiscriminate, failing to deliver and make anyone feel special and cared well for.

Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank D1234NewYork
Berlin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2010

The great thing about this hotel (for a leisure traveller) is its perfect location int the center of the historic town. But it is pretty worn out (in the original builing with three digit room numbers - there is a second building with four digit room numbers which appeared more modern but we did only see its grund floor). Apparently, there is restoration going on but htere is still a lot to be done. Service was overwhelmed which meant long waits at breakfast and afternoon tea and sometimes incompetent, but friendly, staff. I would accept waiters not knowing the difference between "caffee latte" and "latte macchiato" in an average hotel but not in a hotel with the reputation of this one. Room ware often cleaned late (15 or 16 hrs!) and with little care. In fairness, we must say that we were there around new year's with additional stress on the staff.

There is a very nice spa but very difficult to find (which may be due to the construction having resulted in the shut-down of a follr which may otherwise serve a connection between two different parts of the building.

We were assisted by several members of the concierge staff and they were all very friendly, knowledgable and effective - great praise to them!

Overall, paying the full rates we were disappointed and would rather look for an alternative next time.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank FreshMind
Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2009

After extensive European travel, I would have to say that the Grand Hotel is the best hotel we have stayed in. It is truly 5 star luxury. The service is unparalled and the rooms magnificent. The wellbeing centre has to be experienced with a sauna, steam room and and heated pool. The buffet breakfast (which looks out onto to Royal Palace) left nothing to be desired and room service was unbelievable.
The hotel is right in the city centre, over the road from the royal palace and old town with shopping within a couple of minutes walk. Vasa Museum is a twenty minute walk.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AussieRoamers
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2009

From the reviews posted here, it looks like I had some bad luck whilst staying at The Grand Hotel in Stockholm which led to a very disappointing experience.

When I made my booking over the phone, I was giving a price for the 3 nights that I was going to stay at the hotel. I did ask if the price quoted was for the 3 nights and I was told that it was.
When I walked into the room I had been given, the whole room was being renovated and was a building site. I went back to reception, they were surprised! They were full and I was given a room that was specifically designed for disabled customers, which was not a problem but the room was small and unattractive and given the price that I was paying I would have expected something bigger and nicer. I was told that they were full that evening but that they would give me a bigger room the next day. They did.
At the end of my stay when the bill came it turned out that the price I had been quoted originally was per night, as opposed to for the 3 nights! You can imagine my surprise. And they had not made any allowance for any of my troubles. I complained and they gave me what I considered to be a small reduction. They promised to talk to the person who had made my booking and to contact me again. They did and emailed me stating that they would not change and also asked me how I felt. I emailed back registering my disappointment. I got no reply.
The price I paid was very high. The rooms I was given were average and the service was average too. I travel a lot in many countries, I have stayed in many hotels which provide great service and a fantastic quality. This was not one of them. My experience was definitely very disappointing. I would not go back to The Grand.
Francis

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
3 Thank Songodrum
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2009

The Grand Hotel seems quite like an old country palace. The lobby is quite grand and welcoming, as is the exterior. The rooms are nicely done and elegant. The bathrooms are large and complete with robes and slippers.

Excellent location. Walking distance to the main sights and great restaurants.

I would recommend the hotel bar for lunch and drinks (not to mention the great view). A wide selection of beverages complete with bar snacks. Tasty American offerings are also available if you have a craving for home.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple