“Excellent...better than before.”
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #4 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 2 November 2010

I stayed here the year before and really enjoyed this hotel. Although I prefer contemporary and modern this hotel ticks most of my boxes. On this occasion I noticed the staff were exceptionally helpful and attentive too...most unusual as the Nordic countries are not known for their customer service qualities. I was upgraded to a junior suite which was more than expected, with class, luxury and high standards. The spa in the basement is now open and we made the most of this excellent facility. Glad it's included in the price as the cost of this hotel isn't cheap and I wouldn't be too happy if I had to pay extra. Excellent spa facilities worth a visit. Pool, sauna, steam room and attentive staff all added to the pleasure of visiting Stockholm.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 October 2010

The Grand Hotel is conveniently located. It caters to the rich and famous, and apparently, to no one else. I asked the concierge to mail my souvenirs from Finland and Sweden to my home. He agreed to do so, but it is almost three months later and not only have they not sent them, they refuse to respond to my inquiries. Very disappointing service from what is considered a five-star establishment.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with friends
10  Thank Cantstayhome2
Reviewed 25 October 2010

I stayed here during a really terrible snow storm, so I spent much more time in the hotel than I would have typically wanted. The location of this hotel is just wonderful. If I hadn’t been slipping and sliding on the sidewalks of Stockholm, I could have walked almost anywhere of interest in 5-10 minutes. The hotel is old school elegant- not at all trendy. I found this to be refreshing. The staff was quite friendly and helpful. The room was too hot for my husband and me, to the point that we had to crack a window before we slept. This is nothing unusual for Europe though, so it doesn’t bother me. My dinner at the restaurant was very nice and much better than I had expected!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NoraNJtoLondon
Reviewed 20 October 2010

Hotel/location:

The location is perfect in regards to being near great shopping but also amazing restaurants It is also has gorgeous views over water and the royal castle
The hotel itself is actully comprised of several different buildings that have been built together which can make the walk to your room both long and a tad confusing as the hotel is huge! But even the insides of the hotel are beautiful and very nicely decorated.

Room:
During both of our stays (Dec-09 and Jan-10) we had a superior suite which are very large and sparingly, but elegantly, decorated. There is underfloor heating in the bathroom and very nice amenities. Nice wooden and parquet flooring and also oriental carpets. They must also be very well insulated as we did not hear one single thing from neighbouring rooms. We had a view over a peaceful sidestreet and partial waterview which was ok with us.
We did look at other suites to see what they had to offer, but the ones with a better view were not as recently renovated. So please do check when your room was done up upon reserving!

Staff:
Outstanding! Discreet, but extremely helpful in every way. Service was speedy and friendly. One detail that was very nice was that they remembered our names from our previous stay, nice touch!
They will cater to any of your needs and their suggestions are to be trusted.

Food:
Expensive, but very good!!! Their restaurants are also very diverse, but with a distinct Scandinavian touch.
I must confess to going next door to Lydmar (hotel and restaurant) for lunch twice with our daughter and liked it very much. It´s a much more contemporary/cool hotel and well worth a visit!

Spa:
It´s located in the basement of the hotel and the pool is very small, but nice. I did have an appointment with their Chinese doctor (they have an extensive and very interesting spa menu) and i found him to be very nice and good!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Asta72
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Upon arrival nobody is there to help you with the luggage. When we were at the reception desk an intern checked us in. The only words he said were: “ credit card” and “passport”. We showed him our platinum priority club card and informed het intern that we are also LHW members. The receptionist asked another receptionist to escort us to the room. He did not take our suitcase but walked 5 steps with us and said: “ follow this alley continue to the elevators and take the elevator to the third floor and there you have to follow the signs to your room”. This is not five star standard!

When we entered our room (as Platinum members you automatically get an upgrade) we saw that we had a standard room with no views at all. We were totally not happy with this room. We do stay between 120 and 150 nights per year in hotels so we expected that the hotel treated us better. We went back to the reception to complain. The intern could not do anything he said, we wanted to speak to his supervisor. He asked his supervisor to join and then the intern walked away without telling what the problem was. This is again not 5 star standard. After complaining to the supervisor we were upgraded to a better room. If we wanted to have a harbour view we had to pay SEK 15,000 extra.

The new room was beautiful. A better view (to a street and to another apartment), A large bathroom a living room and attached bedroom. The room was clean. There are some things that need to have more attention. The ventilation in the toilet is filled with dust, there is some mold in the shower but further the room was very clean. We liked that the curtains are fixed to the wall so that no sun can come through by the sidelines.

The breakfast buffet is okay. There is enough choice, but you cannot ask for eggs to be prepared you wish. The tables are very close to each other. What we did not like is that there is no table seating, so people are walking through the restaurant to find their own table (they do not want to share a table, what you have to do in this restaurant). So there is too much traffic.

When we had dinner in the Cadierbar. The service there is really poor. We ordered two glasses of wine and some food. Again an intern helped us. After 10 minutes he came back and asked why we did not order any drinks. When we said we ordered it and we even had a discussion with him he knew it again. Then he gave us an entire bottle instead of two glasses. When he was refilling our water glasses his phone was ringing. He walked away from the table, took the call and returned to our table to continue refilling the glasses. Later he was refilling the glasses again and then a manager approached him, they walked away chatted and then he continued filling our glasses again. This is not the service you expect in a five star hotel. The food was really good. The French-fries where the best I ever tasted. We also had tea in Cadier bar the last day. I asked scones. We go whipped cream, jam etc with the scones. The jam was partly in the lemon cream and the jam looked like another person already used it. This is not how you serve it. As we did not like the service our tip was not great. The waiter complaint about the tip! Never noticed this before.

When we made the reservation for the room we asked if we could reserve a table in Mathias Dahlgren restaurant. They were fully booked and do not have extra tables for hotel guests according to the concierge. When we stayed in the hotel we asked where we could eat and then the concierge said that Mathias Dahlgren had a table after 9.30 PM. Why is it fully booked 3 weeks in advance and do they have a table available after 9.30 on the evening itself?

I was ill during my stay in Stockholm. The reception and concierge were aware of this as we contacted also a doctor via them. When we asked for a late check out it was possible, after a lot of times asking for it and after informing them again that we are platinum members. But not for the time we requested. We wanted to have a check out at 5PM so I could still be in bed before heading of to the airport, but 4PM was the latest they could give us. It does not matter if you are ill or not.

The hotel is in the middle of renovations. There are a lot of locals who go to the bars and restaurants, so for the hotel guests it is very difficult to get tables and service.

Overall a poor service, they do not recognize their most loyal guests! Hotel is has an excellent location. In my opinion they need more management to look after the guests instead of having a lot of interns. I do understand that interns have to learn, but they need to learn from experienced employees and not from other interns. Do never complaint about tips! If the service is bad expect that the tips are less then expected.

Loved the free Internet and the complimentary water each night!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dutchguy71
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We stayed there for 5 days september 2010, we had an excellent room on the 7th floor with a kingsize bed,we have asked for it via email before our arrival. The staff friendly and very helpful, the room was fantastic, the housekeeping also excellent, the breakfast could be better but ...the spa was really great,small but precious..go there dont hesitate..

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 October 2010

We got a beautiful room, very good personal service and the location is great, near all the good shopping! Next door is an impressive museum, and the bar and cafe inside the hotel are also a treat.
Breakfast buffet was bit on small side, but you didn't have to queue or anything.
The spa looked impressive, but I had to no time to make use of it.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple