“Very nice hotel close to the train station”

Grand Central by Scandic
Ranked #45 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
GreenLeadersBronze level
Långtbortistan
“Very nice hotel close to the train station”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I have stayed in several Scandic Hotels in Stockholm before (Scandic Continental, Scandic Park, Scandic Anglais, and Scandic Sjöfartshotellet), and this is probably one of the nicest. It's a new hotel, so everything is in good shape, and the room (4th floor) was very quiet, although the lobby and bar seemed quite crowded in the evening. Breakfast was nice, the bed was comfortable, and the room was clean.

However, I don't like the idea of having to put the key card in a slot in order to turn on the electric lights. I know that this is a popular invention, and that Scandic Grand Central is not the only hotel with this system, but it's stupid. If Scandic Hotels want to be environmentally friendly by reducing electricity consumption, perhaps they shouldn't leave the television set always on; I'm sure the TV draws more power than all the lights in the room combined. (You can of course turn the TV off, but it's on when you enter the room.)

I also didn't like the fact that it's more or less impossible to take a shower without leaving the bathroom floor covered with water. There is a hinged glass door which you can use in order to not soak the entire bathroom, but most of the bathroom floor inevitably becomes wet.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
MatildaG278, Concierge at Grand Central by Scandic, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you so much for your feedback. Our new hotel is renovated from an old building built in 1886, so the characteristics vary a lot from room to room. TV and heating system starts when guests are checking-in and we need the screen to deliver messages to our guests during their stay. Our ambition is always to think environment friendly. I do hope we have the pleasure to welcome you to Scandic Grand Central soon again.

Scandic Grand Central

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Shropshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I was on a site inspection to Stockholm last week and this hotel was selected for me by my colleagues in the congress bureau and they could not have chosen better. Very cool place and as its name implies centrally located right near the Arlanda Express.
I had the breakfast buffet both mornings and it was really good with a wide variety of hot and cold dishes. I also felt very welcome in the bar after dinner where there was a good atmosphere and well trained bar staff.
My only grump (as usual) was about wireless. Now to put this in perspective it was free and available throughout the hotel which was great but every time I left the hotel or put my laptop to sleep I had to re-enter the quite complicated code. Please hotel community allow us full access to wifi without codes or restrictions just like you do with hot water and electricity.
I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: I stayed in a large corner room which I can highly recommend but I bet there are some much smaller r...
1 Thank davido357
MatildaG278, Concierge at Grand Central by Scandic, responded to this review, 5 April 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy to offer a very popular breakfast, always with a wide rage of organic products. Our hotel is a great fit for the lonely traveler, you don’t have to go far as you say to enjoy our friendly atmosphere.

Thank you again, and welcome back to us!

Andalucia, Spain
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I´ve stayed at 2 other hotels here, both not bad at all, but this was by far the best. The hotel has apparently not been open for too long, around a year. The business facilities were very good, meeting rooms clean and roomy. The food in the hotel as well as the service was excellent. The rooms, had a junior suite, was spacious, clean, had a bath as well as a shower, and a great touch was the TEAC record player with some classic vinyl to play.

All in all a great hotel and staff, good location also, recommend, and will be back for a social visit to Stockholm.

Dear guest,
Thank you for your recommendation on Tripadvisor. We love our record players placed in all of our junior suites and suites, so bring your own vinyl records next time! Welcome back sometimes soon.

Canton of Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Located at a 5-min-walk from the Arlanda express terminal downtown, it is a very stylish and comfortable hotel, offering a generous buffet-style breakfast. It also has a cool lounge area where local people meet over drinks in the evening.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Matilda G, Concierge at Grand Central by Scandic, responded to this review, 20 March 2012
Dear guest,
It's great to hear that you enjoyed staying with us. We are delighted that we now are a very popular place to hang-out, after-work or late at night. We have guest artists playing almost every night at our acoustic bar. We created this hotel with the ambition to make it feel like your own living room! We are delighted that you enjoyed staying with us. Welcome back!

Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 16 March 2012

This hotel is new and conveniently located walking distance from T-centralen. The design is quite nice and the beds really comfortable. The restaurant thre is very busy but excellent. This hotel is my pick for convenience, price and quality.

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Guest,
How we love to hear about your enjoyable stay with us. We are happy to offer many different types of room that can appeal to different types of budgets. Thank you so much for your feedback and welcome back to us!

Stock
Reviewed 16 March 2012

The hotel was well located totally new and very stylish. Our junior suite had a lot of light and was very spacious.

The breakfast was excellent, very consistent with a variety of choice.

As a week point we noticed there was no minibar and the room service menu didnt offer a lot of options...

Overall it was super cool and we will definitly come back :-)

• Stayed March 2012
Dear Guest,
How we love to hear about your enjoyable stay with us. We are so happy to be able to present this new hotel at such a perfect location, steps away from all transportation you could need during your stay, even sightseeing tours stops right outside our door . Thank you so much for your feedback and welcome back to us!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Great design and interior. Cool vibe and excellent breakfast buffet!! exquisite!!!

However, unfortunaterly the service was not equivalent to the appearance.

First of all, upon my arrival, the room was so cold. is that scandinavian thing to keep indoor cooler than the US? no I have been many scandinavian countries at this time. I asked to check my heater right after I checked in. when I come back during the day time it wasn't warm at all so I mentioned it again. when I get back late it wasn't warm but I was too tired. but the room was still cold. The next morning, my throat hurt after sleeping in the cold air.
I told them the room was still cold and I want to change the room. Then they told me actually entire 3rd fl heating system was down and just fixed...??? but they were happy to change my room to another room on the 3rd floor which doesn't really make sense to me.?? I asked them to change the room on another floor. Then finally I was able to sleep with comfortable air temperature.

Secondly, I had to send some DHL packages from the hotel. I travel all the time for work and I always send stuff back. So I asked for DHL boxes when I checked in. I asks them again on the 2nd day morning. I had to explain the entire story again. the 2nd day night I just wanted to check if I already received the boxes. The boxes weren't there and the gentlemen at the reception had no idea about my request. He was nice enough to check with DHL again, but they were not able to deliver the boxes before I check out the following day. I wasn't feeling pleasant since I had to requested the same thing three times, at the end I wasn't able to send pkgs.

When I was checking out, I asked to talk to a manager not to complain but just to let them know my experience.
The manager told me the the concierge is out sick for the week. But that is not a good excuse. They should have more than one concierge and it should run smoothly without anyone's absence.

Maybe you can say I was just not lucky this time. however I believe these kind of incidents don't happen if you are well prepared.

Anyway, if you are just sleeping and having breakfast there, it's a great hotel. but if you are foreign and may need some extra service and help, I am not sure if I would like to recommend the hotel. It's always good to know what you are getting.

hope this is helpful!
safe travel!

2 Thank Bunnybeetheb
Matilda G, Concierge at Grand Central by Scandic, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear guest,
We hope you are now feeling better. Thank you so much for your feedback .We are sorry that our Air heating/cooling system did not work as expected in some of our rooms that day. We don’t have a specific business center, but should always help our guests with all kind of requests at the front desk. I am very sorry that you did not get the help you requested during your stay. We.hope you will come back too us soon again and thank you again for taking the time to point out things we can do better.

Grand Central