“The room, be aware if you are claustrofobic !!!!”

Grand Central by Scandic
Ranked #46 of 157 Hotels in Stockholm
GreenLeadersBronze level
Papendrecht, The Netherlands
“The room, be aware if you are claustrofobic !!!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2012

This hotel is not the cheapest, but from a competative view it is not the most expensive.
One night in the Sheraton was more expensive than 4 nights in this Scandic hotel.

The location is very nice. Just a few blocks walking from the train station where the airport train Arlanda Express arrives.
The entrance and the lobby are looking great. A disadvantage is the people smoking outside just next to the entrance. With my sensitive lungs, smoke is annoying for me..

The lobby has several places where you can hook up your laptop and work.
In the room there is a free wireless internet available with an acceptable performance.

At the reception I was being served very good. They gave me good directions to my room.

So first walking to the room with a lot of luggage is a little challenge.
I had to walk down a ramp, through a restaurant through an corridor, opening a door with my keycard. First down two steps, than turn left and went up ~6 steps, turned right again up ~6 steps, straight ahead, up ~8 steps, turn left into the corridor.

Yes, I've found my room, open the door and..... no windows !
It's an inside room.
Ok, one advantage, no noise from the street. The room was rather quiet.
Since there was a congress or so going on in Stockholm, it was a challenge to find a room, so I did not try to get another room.
But if you are claustrofobic, be aware when booking this hotel.

The room itself was clean, had a nice desk to work on.
The bathroom was spacious.
The bed was good and I did have enough space in the cupboard for storing my clothes.
A little safe was available.

Breakfast was good, but you need to be early, otherwise it's a quest to find an empty table.

1 Thank pa3ddg
, Concierge at Grand Central by Scandic, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
Dear Guest,
How we love to hear about your enjoyable stay with us. We are happy to offer many different types of room that can appeal to different types of budgets. We have six different types of categories and hope that we will cover the needs of our guest. Thank you so much for your feedback and welcome back to us!

Scandic Grand Central

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Asheville, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

I was really excited to stay in the Scandic Grand Central for 3 days after our Baltic cruise on Royal Caribbean. It was very close to the bus station and the HOHO bus does stop nearby. The breakfast was great with lots of selections both hot and cold, really enjoyed the american-style pancakes. The rest, however, was part bad, part horrible.

Customer service- Took close to 20 minutes to check-in including waiting in a very long line. Tried to be friendly to front-desk lady and even mentioned I was celebrating my 30th birthday, got no response at all, I had put this in my reservation information. I did expect some sort of response or offer of congratulations.

Room- We love to travel and do it often, but still try to do so reasonably. We paid $95 something a night including a 20% discount I found on the website for frequent guests of their guest program for the cabin "cellar"/windowless room. It is smaller than most inside rooms on cruise ships, we know, we had just gotten off one and stayed in an inside room. There is no ventilation in our room and when we tried to change the temperature the thermostat did not respond. I called the front desk on 3 different occasions to get this fixed and they said they would send someone, but it never happened. On the third time on the 2nd day, I suggested a different room and the person rudely said that would cost another 300 KR ($45) per night. So we sweated and had to prop open the door in order to breathe...so much for privacy.

Check-out- We left our room at 12PM on the dot to check out. You do need your room key to use the elevator each time, but our key had already been de-activated. Not only would the elevator not work, we could not get back into our room to call someone. I tried to go out the steps but you need your key for that as well (crazy) We were completely locked in the basement. I went out the emergency steps and I found this lady who worked in the kitchen. She kept saying to me "You should not be here!" I said, I'm sorry I'm a guest and I just need your help!." She took me to the security guy. He was so rude and kept asking me why I was there. He then rudely told me I could have left a different way but I told him I tried and my card wouldn't let me out. He then escorted us to the front in a very rude way.

I was sooooo disappointed in this hotel. I really was hoping for a great end to celebrating turning 30 but this hotel left a horrible taste in my mouth and partially ruined our time in Stockholm.

Room Tip: don't choose the cabin rooms unless you don't care if there is ventilation or how stuffy it...
2 Thank squeege777
Dear guest,
We're sorry that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and thank you so much for your feedback . Our new hotel is renovated from an old building built in 1886, so the characteristics vary a lot from room to room. We work very hard and we all do our best to keep a high standard at Grand Central. I do hope we have the pleasure to welcome you to one of our Scandic hotels soon again. Please don´t hessitate to contact our hotel directly if you have any
complaints unanswered.

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

I booked the hotel partly due to its location, 3 minute walking distance from the central bus station.

We arrived for an early check in. Good news was we could get a room immediately. Bad news was that apparently only single beds were available and a king size bed would cost us a better room and a 20 euro upgrade. This time I accepted and I must admit it was worthwhile. The room was much larger than the 18-20 m2 of a standard room and it had a very nice sofa couch.

Room looked very new. There are only 5 floors in the hotel, we were on 2nd, overlooking the casino. High ceilings and large windows provided ample day light. At the same time the room was well insulated from outdoor traffic noise and curtains provided sufficient darkness at night. Room is very elegantly decorated in shades of dark brown and white, great illustration of Swedish design. AC worked seamlessly, except it would make short hiccup noise from time to time, but mostly it was very quiet and we could not feel the airflow.

The bed was very large and comfortable. However the point of the large bed was somewhat defeated by the individual bed covers, a common feature in scandinavia it seems.

Bathroom was also large enough, included a bath/shower, which feature a flexible and a fixed shower head.

Breakfast is served late in the week-end, until 11:30am. There is a very large choice of hot and cold food. Overall quality was quite good, except for the lack of fresh fruit juice.

Apparently the hotel has bikes available for guests when we checked the 2 (?) bikes were taken. Instead we took the City Bike card which proved a terrific option for exploring the city.

Overall we had a great experience. I was afraid the hotel would look too big and impersonal but instead it achieved somehow, of providing the right setting for a romantic week-end. I would return there happily.

Dear Guest,
We love to hear about your enjoyable stay with us. We are so happy to be able to present this new hotel at such a perfect location, steps away from all transportation you could need during your stay, even sightseeing tours stops right outside our door. Thank you so much for your feedback and welcome back to us, we have rooms that can fill everyone´s need!

Scandic Grand central
Arnhem, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2012

The hotel was good. Nice room ( family room) with all the amenities. Receptionist was friendly and gave us a nice map of the city. Especially our experience in the bar/bistro took us by surprise. We often travel abroad and quite often to the US. In our opinion the US sets the standard in hospitality. This is absolutely not the case in the teaterbrasseriet. The first night we were served by a waiter who advised us to take a look at the cocktail menu ( a good start we thought)..After that he dissapeared in thin air. A new waiter came by and took our cocktail order.. The new waiter was not familiar with the cocktails so it took some time to explain our choice (from the menu)to him. What surprised us more is that the whole attitude experienced in this bistro, is one of arrogance. We have never seen so many noses high up in the air.....but not being able to deliver a standard cocktail right of the menu? Even worse is that we tried this bistro 2 times more. It was convenient because it was situated in the hotel.....and we thoughtthat we maybe had some bad luck the previous time....the second time we were just asking for a table for two ( it was busy) and the host just looked and talked to one of us (my friend was like air to him). No eye contact whatsoever with the other of the couple....and he also did not recognize us from the day before. This is something a host should never forget. Guests who dine a few days in a row in his restaurant. The only message we got was that they were full....come back in 40 minutes.....no thank you, goodbye or anything. We went somewhere else of course.
To be honest ;norwegians, the danes,all have a saying; that the swedish are arrogant. We have had the same experience during our stay in stockholm. Not only in the teaterbrasseriet, but in general in whole stockholm. People are uptight, we saw very few smiles and in our opinion a lot of swedish people suffer from a form of depression our worse. There is no other explanation for the behaviour we experienced. The teaterbrasseriet attracts the worse kind in stockholm. Locals who think they are hip and modern, but actually only behave arrogant. In this case the service suits perfectly.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Musis
Dear guest,
Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. We work very hard at our hotel to serve and to give the best service possible at all times. I am so sorry you didn´t get the welcome and the service you would have expected at the bar and restaurant. We can only appoligize and hope you will return to us and have a better experience!

Lillesand, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

This is my home in Stockholm - friendly staff, great ambience - reasonable pricing, and great location...

, Concierge at Grand Central by Scandic, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear guest,
You are so right, our hotel should feel like your own living room! Thank you !

Livorno, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

It is not always easy to find excellent and brand new hotels in the heart of European capitals. The Scandic Grand Central is one of those. Nicely decorated rooms, a bit retro, with sort of paintings where famous songs lyrics are written, comfortable beds. The room service was fast and the cheeseburger in the average. No drinks in the mini bar, but plenty in the mini store in the lobby. Breakfast room is a bit tiny and always crowded in the peak hours, but the breakfast buffet compensate the disappointment of not being able to find a free table. Extremely nice staff at the lobby desk. Overall, a great staying.

1 Thank Giovanni141967
romsey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

We had booked a day room here at the end of a cruise. The cost was advised as US$150 by our agent. On arrival the reception desk wes in chaos, and we were advised our room would not be ready until 3pm! Ipointed out forecfully that this would be useless as we were leaving at 3.30. Eventually room avail at 10.30. It was clean and functional, although rather small. We could hear very clearly the people in the room above, every footstep. Would not have wanted to be trying to sellp.

Room Tip: Rooms facing courtyard quieter that those on street. Internet access good. Downstaris reception ar...
, Concierge at Grand Central by Scandic, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. We work very hard at our hotel to serve and to give the best service possible at all times. However, check-in time is at 2 pm and for larger groups at 3 pm. Check-out is always at noon . We can also store luggage for our guests at all times.
I do hope we have the pleasure to welcome you to Scandic Grand Central soon again!

Grand Central