“We were stolen”
Review of Hotel Gamla Stan

Hotel Gamla Stan
Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We left our things inside our bags, since the hostel doesn't provide a locker, and when we came back our equipments wasn't there. And after all, they that this kind of things happens and they couldn't do anything about it. Horrible, and te room was really full and small, doesn't waste your money on this hostel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 April 2014

The hostel is located in Gamla Stan, which is the old part of the city, one of the islands of Stockholm where there is the royal palace.
The hostel overlooks the sea.
We stayed in a double room. I have not seen the dorms . So this review is about the common areas and the double room.
I do not recommend this hostel for those who love space , our room was literally a hole , very nearly there was only space for the bed, once the bags are placed in the floor there is no more room to move. it is also true that the hostels offers rarely double rooms, then we must recognize that too.
The kitchen is shared with the other guests, there is a fridge where you can store your food and cook whenever you want. There are all the necessary cooking utensils and crockery. Breakfast is also served in the kitchen.
Next to the kitchen there is a desk with several computers for internet access .
The bathrooms are shared on each floor there are 4 bathrooms with shower. If the hostel is not very busy you will find the bathrooms always free with no problems.

A little tip : the towels are not provided except for rent , so if your holiday does not include extra charges take it one with you .

Have a nice holiday.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alenay
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

If you want to be in an ideal location to enjoy Old town Gamla Stan, the shopping district, and the nearby parks and skating, this is it...
True this is a bare-bones hostel with teeny rooms with heat that
may or may not work in the dead of winter (but they'll give you a heater cheerfully from the
closet) but it's just steps away from medieval cobblestone streets, the Nobel Museum, and the Royal Palace...

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 8 February 2014

I booked to stay here last week for two nights. I was initially off-put by the old condition of the private room I had booked ... but fine, okay. After having a nap on the bed I woke up to see a bug on the sheet beside me ... Okay ... When I looked at the pillow there was another one, and once I lifted the mattress I saw several more.
They were quite big, about the size of a ladybug and after a quick google search I matched the pictures I'd taken off them to bed bugs.
The girls at reception were nice about it and apologetic and offered to switch my room, but I decided to stay somewhere else.
I didn't want to stay anywhere with bed bugs as they are highly transferrable!

I don't usually write reviews of anywhere, but this really gave me the heebyjeebies!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Spent my New Years' night + 2 more. Loved it. Can't be a better location, i walked everywhere from there ( and came back for a rest (& restroom stops (public restroom in Stockholm are 5-10SEK)), cup of tea/snack).
Loved the huge spacious kitchen/pantry. Very efficient. I was lucky they put me in a 4-person room overlooking the lake/water and ships. Breakfast is simple, but it can save a starving person & definitely provides you with hot drinks. Would stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 December 2013

I stayed with 3 generations from age 21 to 72. Four people in a private room with our own toilet/shower. Very clean and quiet, comfortable beds with bedding included. We did not have to pay for our towels, we offered and they said "not necessary". Great location near the water yet if you turn the corner we were in the Old Town. Close to ferry for Skansen, etc. My daughter who lives in Sweden had great wifi reception, but from USA we were unable to connect. We went over the Christmas holiday and had no troubles accessing a computer for Facebook, email, etc. If you are in need of a more 'accessible' room, be sure to tell them upon reservation, as there are rooms that are close to the elevator. It is an old building and there are many stairs/hallways. It was a bonus to have a small breakfast included, as Sweden is expensive compared to my home. Cold oatmeal was available (microwave also), milk (3%), coffee, sugar, crackers, jam, and rolls. If purchased outside of hostel, it would cost!!! In the lobby, they offered cookies one day, pastry another, and candy another. I would have no trouble recommending this hostel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: ask for private bath if wanted, although there are ample toilets with showers near most rooms in the...