“Friendly, cozy, stylish” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #50 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
Helsinki, Finland
“Friendly, cozy, stylish”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

Mornington Hotel in Stockholm is superbly located both for business and shopping. The staff is friendly, the hotel is clean, cozy and well designed. The library approach is very homey. Superb breakfast and a well equipped bar! We did not eat at the restaurant, though. Rooms a bit on the small side but prices are not bad. Recommended!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Robin E
hhagman, Hotel Manager Assistant at Mornington Hotel Stockholm City, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear Robin,

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your kind words.

I hope you will stay with us again if you return to our beautiful city.

Helena

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
County Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

The great location, library design style, cool gym, tasty breakfast buffet and friendly staff make this place a very good value option for a comfortable stay in the attractive city of Stockholm. It's located in the posh residential area called Östermalm, and only a couple of minutes walk to buses and a subway station. Actually it's walking distance more or less everywhere anyway, since Stockholm city is rather compact after all.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments on TripAdvisor.
I am glad you had a pleasent stay with us and a good Stockholm visit.

If you return to Stockholm I hope we get the pleasure to see you again.

Norwich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014

In this age of blue-print hotels, it is always fun to stay somewhere a bit different. The Mornington is privately-owned, a little quirky and has a good friendly atmosphere. All the staff seemed so positive and agreeable. I stayed on business for three nights. The location is good; close to a metro station; ten blocks away from the new building of the Stockholm Environment Institute (in the old army garrison); and even 15-20 minutes walk away from the Central Station and airport bus terminus. It is a pleasant walk down to the Waterfront and near enough to the Old Town.
Inside the Mornington Hotel, there is a spacious book-lined lobby and lounge. Especially on cold winter days – it was minus 6 Centigrade outside – the place gave an immediate warm feeling. Reception staff smiled – and were helpful with advice. The only negative point is that they do not change foreign currency.
The rooms also have shelves of books. Someone must have had fun raiding charity shops and second-hand bookstores. As I write this is my room at the hotel, I am reading the cover of Robert Jordan’s “The Gathering Storm”. So there is no shortage of reading matter. My room has a comfortable sofa, a good-size working desk and two single beds pushed together. There is a little fridge and a safe. The bathroom is reasonably equipped. The only down-side is that there is nowhere to put your clothes. There is one open hanging rail – but where do I put my knickers? There is one open and very small shelf to display them to all who come into the room. Of the eight of us who stayed at the hotel for the meeting I attended, only one had a cupboard of any sort. That really does need attention – not everyone brings only one set of clothes.
Overall I enjoyed my stay. The breakfast buffet was, as others have noted, really good. I loved the sweet cure marinated herrings; and also the smoked pork slices. There is fast wifi; and it’s free. I would gladly stay again.

Room Tip: If you have clothes to unpack, I suggest you ask for one of the few rooms that have a cupboard for t...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your thougthful and detailed review. It seems you had a very nice stay and enjoyed the athmosphere we work hard on trying to achieve.
Regarding space for clothing, we have rooms with closet space but not all rooms have the same layout and therefor some rooms have just hangers.

I hope we get the pleasure to see you again soon, welcome back!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2014

Our family of 4 stayed at the Mornington for 4 nights in December, great location, helpful staff and amazing breakfast. We had both a standard and a superior room, if you have large bags book the superior. The hotel lobby and bar is cozy (the massive library helps). The rooms have thoughtful design details, like the double stop on the doors to keep out hallway noise. Only a couple of blocks to the Metro and in the middle of the City. Awesome stay.

Room Tip: If you have more than a carry-on book a superior room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hhagman, Hotel Manager Assistant at Mornington Hotel Stockholm City, responded to this review, 19 January 2014
Dear Steven,

I was very glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed your Stockholm visit and your stay with us. Thank you for your review and your comments.

We hope to see you again soon.

Paris, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

following a business visit to the city I took the opportunity of a sunny weekend to visit Stockholm and chose the Mornington as my base for the weekend. I found a reasonably priced tiny single room. It was good value for the price of hotels in the city. The breakfast was probably one of the best I have had in the many hotels I have visited. Great variety of products.
When I visited there were some works going on in front of my room but the noise was not too bad. The hotel has a very young feeling and they have some simple elements of design that bring a nice touch. Too bad my room did not include use of the gym! But I took the chance to cycle in the city which probably was best. I strongly suggest to visit Djurgarden and the Rosendals Trädgård on a sunny day!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
hhagman, Hotel Manager Assistant at Mornington Hotel Stockholm City, responded to this review, 7 January 2014
Dear Guest.

Thank you for your comments.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our wonderful breakfastbuffet. We have have put many hours of work on the buffet to select the best quality products and we also make the jam, musli, pancakes and lots more from scratch.

I hope you visit us again soon.

Welcome back!

Nice, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

I really enjoyed this hotel, it's a very cosy place, the lobby is very warm with couches and lotts of seats to read a book, have a drink or be on the internet (free). It has a fireplace in the dining room which is set on fire for breakfast, and that's sooooo cool !!
The rooms are small but very cosy and comfortable. The hotel is well located in a neighborhood with lots of shops and restaurants. (try the one just the other side of the street, at number 38 in nybrogatan, very hype place). You can also eat at the market place just a hundred meters in the street.
Nevertheless, I never found the fitness room in the hotel which was supposed to be on the same floor as our room, the 2nd floor.... but I could easily do without it for a short stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Arnaud N
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review.

I was really glad to hear that you had a great stay . I apologize for the information that the gym is on the 2nd floor, it is located on -2 floors so I understand that it was confusing.

I hope we will see you again soon and than we can make sure you find your way to our fitness center.

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

Location: Superb. The T-bana is only a 5 minute walk away, and Ostermalm station is only 1 stop away from T-Centralen, the station where the Arlanda (Airport) Express stops. This basically means you're 25 minutes away by train from the airport. It's also 2 stops away from Gamla Stan, which is the Old Town station. This is also within walking distance of Stureplan, the place you go for bars and parties. Salu Hall is also nearby, a place where you can check out some gourmet food.

Rooms: Small but delightfully furnished. We enjoyed exploring the random collection of eclectic books in the room, and the sofa was useful for when we wanted to relax with a cup of coffee. Nice big wooden table for your laptop and gadgets. Free wi-fi. The wooden floors were sturdy and did not produce those annoying thuds that you know the people downstairs will be hearing whenever you walk across the room. One gripe, though, would be the bathrooms. They're poorly designed, in the sense that you really have to make an effort to not wet the entire bathroom when you're showering. There was also a disturbing lack of places to hang clothes and towels when showering.

Service: Front desk was very cheerful and welcoming, and ready to help whenever we needed. The restaurant offered us free fruits whenever we went there (even at 1am).

Others: Breakfast spread was pretty decent. Gym is pay-per-use (65SEK) for room grades below Superior.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ming H
hhagman, Hotel Manager Assistant at Mornington Hotel Stockholm City, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind words, I was glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us and a good Stockholm experience.

I hope we will have the pleasure to see you again.

Happy New Year!