Scandic Anglais
Ranked #77 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I stayed here on a business trip in a single room. The room was okay but nothing special. Rather small with a view in a small courtyard (concrete, nothing green around). The breakfast is crowded and noisy but okay. I would recommend another hotel in the vicinity.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,157)

Reviewed 28 May 2012

Centrally located hotel in Stockholm within walking distance of all major attractions; rooms are very Scandinavian - basic and functional but the hotel is clean and the service good. The bars are very noisy with bars on the Ground Floor, 1st Floor and 7th Floor. Our room was next to the 7th Floor bar but fortunately it closed at midnight. The room has a balcony which was nice but was next to the Service Elevator, which was not.

Good breakfast but got very busy.

Overall, the location was probably the major advantage.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the bars and not next to the service elevator.
Reviewed 28 May 2012

This hotel is in a brilliant location - you can walk everywhere. The bar was always busy and had a great atmosphere. On the weekend breakfast was available until 2pm (great lie in). The staff were helpful and accomodating. At 4am in the morning they let us eat our takeaway in the reception area.

One thing I would mention is that you can here all the noise from outside - this didn't totally bother us but it is worth bearing in mind.

Overall a very easy going stay.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank HP1_10
Reviewed 24 May 2012

I have stayed at Scandic Anglais on several occasions and the location is excellent, just of Stureplan which is a vibrant hub for shopping, restaurants and business. The hotel is clean, staff is friendly and accommodating, free wifi at good speed, bike rental, great breakfast during weekends (but breakfast staff need to put a smile on) and overall an excellent choice for planning an intense stay in Stockholm. However I would most likely not recommend Scandic Anglais for a romantic weekend as the hotel is a bit impersonal and the larger rooms are quite worn down - scrapings in the floor, bathrooms need a touch up and it has an intense pace. Bar downstairs is excellent for a Friday after work or after shopping. A small fitness centre is located in the basement.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
ScaAng, Manager at Scandic Anglais, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Hi, thank you for your kind reveiw of our hotel. Hope to see you with us soon again!

Reviewed 18 May 2012

My room was on the small side but was nicely equipped. But the best part of the hotel is the wonderful location. I started each morning with a massive breakfast, which was more than adequate to tide me over until dinner! I was able to rent a bike (for free) from the front desk, which was the best way to tour Stockholm. And I did enjoy the beautiful views on the terrace bar (7th floor).

The hotel is situated on a beautiful park, and is within walking distance to many sites. The Stureplan, a hub of cafes and bars, is very close by and the neighborhood is one of the most upscale in all of Stockholm.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank gamenumbers
Reviewed 14 May 2012

When I first booked this hotel through Booking.com, the cheapest option was a "cabin room with single bed." I am a solo traveler so I thought I wouldn't have any problem sleeping on a smaller bed. When I checked in, I was told that the room is in the basement, which was the first clue to what kind of room it would turn out to be. The room had no window and was smaller than my freshman year dormitory. There was no partition between the toilet and the "bedroom" space, so that after I use the toilet the entire room would smell, because, as I said, there is no window and it is in the basement. Normally I would not mind as long as there is a roof over my head, but the room this so-called "hotel" gave me was a prison cell so I asked to upgrade it to a standard double room with 300 more kronas per night. The room was decent, but I have to say that the wooden furniture is all worn out and the tiles in the shower are broken. Actually it was the kind of shower you may find in a hostel or a college dormitory. But becasuse I was enjoying my visit to Stockholm and because I knew this was an expensive city, I decided not to let it ruin my trip.

Then I went to the front desk to ask for a UK-Swedish power adapter, and I was told I have to buy it from the hotel store. I have to travel a lot and I know that normally one can borrow an adapter from front desk with a small deposit in most hotels. When I went to the store, the adapters had been sold out. The hotel clerk did not even apologize, but said "too bad" and told me to find an adapter in a store near the hotel. I walked around everywhere around the hotel and could not find any store that sold such a thing. I came back and asked the name of the store to the clerk. I went out again to search for it, but it was difficult to find a store in a city I had never been before, looking for names of streets and stores that I cannot pronounce. By this time I was getting annoyed. If the hotel is expecting lots of international travelers, it is hotel's responsibility to procure enough amount of gadgets that might be in need. But the hotel never even apologized to me for not having enough adapters in stock but simply told me to go out and find one on my own. When I demanded apology the same clerk first refused and then smirked and "apologized" sarcastically and condescendingly. I still cannot believe how the hotel treated me. Stockholm is a beautiful city and most people only visit there once, unless they are working in a field related to Sweden. Don't let this hotel ruin your memory of Sweden. I know it's expensive, but there are other good hotels in the city at similar prices.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank IVKCB2
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I stayed in this hotel for a business meeting. One of my colleagues arrived one day before me, and was upgraded to a room with a view. I retained my windowless basement room. According to other reviews, this may be an advantage, since my room was as quiet as the grave, far away from the noisy bar.

The decor was modern, and I was surprised and happy to see an ironing board. I had thought ahead and brought my own toothbrush. Shampoo and soap were provided. Temperature control is provided via the television - I had trouble adjusting mine

Breakfast was superb, particularly on the weekend, when there were six types of juice, not including the fresh oranges next to the squeezer machine, alongside fives table sides of buffet food that included meatballs, bacon, artificial eggs, caviar!, yoghurt, breads, etc.

I didn't interact much with staff, although they were always polite and efficient.

If I was staying here for just a few days, maybe I would have given the hotel five stars. By the end, I was dying to see the sun. No fault of the hotel, just my feeling.

1  Thank SingaporeMatt