“Bring ear-plugs.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, England, United Kingdom
“Bring ear-plugs.”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Hey, fancy some massive techno tunes banging through your room into the early hours? Then come to the Scandic Anglais! Yes, you too can pay to stay in a hotel room that fails in the most fundamental respect - i.e. having the qualities that allow you to sleep.

The bar, awash with music at noise levels that wouldn't be out of place in war zone, is, by the way, almost empty - so it's not like the hotel is compensating for lost repeat business from actual paying guests by attracting drinks revenue from techno fans. Apparently we have to put up with this until 2am because the hotel management 'can't tell the food and beverage manager how to run his bar'. Is this establishment run along feudal lines I wonder?

Even if there wasn't a deaf hipster playing his record collection at bowel-troubling volumes in the bar the extractor fans in the bathrooms seem to run constantly and will keep you awake when the techno has died down. At Scandic prices you expect something a bit more. Yes, it *looks* like a hotel, but is *sounds* like student party. Hey Anders Ehrling (President & Chief Executive Officer of Scandic) try sleeping here...

If you must stay, bring earplugs!

Room Tip: Try another hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Sophia A, Chef at Scandic Anglais, responded to this review, 30 August 2013
Dear guest,
it's really sad to read about your experience of Scandic Anglais.
I know you've been in email contact with our F & B Manager and discussed this. He has offered you a generous compensation but unfortunately we have not received any answer. Feel free to respond to the email and we'll send the compensation to you.
Welcome back to us at Anglais.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed here as part of our cruise package with Windstar, so I do not know the price. The hotel had a really, really nice breakfast that I think was included for all guests. Our hotel room was clean, had wood floors, duvets, good pillows and nice reading lights. We opened the large windows to a beautiful park across the street no bugs, a real plus. The room also had a fridge and 110 outlet in the bathroom and a hair dryer. Our bed was 2 twins pushed together, but it worked out fine. It did have limited English speaking TV, but also had lots of paid movie options. The hotel had a small rooftop bar (converted from a guest room), nothing great, but we did have a drink there. The hotel had FACE toiletries - must be good and local) as there were several FACE stores around the city. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Espoo, Finland
Reviewed 17 August 2013

As a business traveller I didn't have to worry about the pricing of this hotel too much but if this would have been a personal trip I would have looked for cheaper alternatives. I stayed for one night in a small cabin room which had a 120cm bed and was quite nice. The decor was stylish, the room compact and the wifi fast. You don't necessarily need a password for wifi from the front desk if you log in for 12 hours as a guest. A window would have been nice to bring in some natural light and to keep track of time in case you wake up before your alarm clock.

The breakfast was extensive, one of the best hotel breakfasts that I have ever encountered (though it is common for me to skip breakfasts if I travel for business). The lobby bar is quite ok although this specific early thursday night a bit slow. The location of the hotel is really good.

Really the only complaint about the hotel was a dripping air conditioner(?) in the room which woke me up as I got a water drop on my face in the middle of the night. The dripping wasn't too extensive and I only needed to move my pillow a bit and continue sleeping. Unfortunately I forgot to report the problem as I checked out.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Contemporary hotel well situated in Stockholm. The bar at night has good atmosphere. The rooms are very clean, modern & comfortable. The lobby is very spacious with free wi-fi and is great for casual business meetings.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Woodland Hills, California, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This hotel is located in central Stockholm. The service was excellent, the room was comfortable, clean and well suited for our needs. We walked to the old town from here and enjoyed the many shops and restaurants. Our cruise ship used this hotel and it was very convenient getting to the ship. We also were ble to watch the soldiers ride by for the daily changing of the guard. There was a gay pride parade that we could view from our window. Good experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Lauderdale by the Sea, Florida
Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

Yes, good location, adequate rooms but dj blasts music until 3:00am on Saturday. Regardless of what floor you are on, this is what you hear. So beware if you choose this otherwise decent hotel. It is not far from most sites and very convenient to restaurants and other sites, in fact you can walk to Gamla Stan from here.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Hello all,
All d other reviewers must have been at the open air night club outside the hotel because I am here at 23:56 and the loud music is keeping me awake . I rang the front desk and i am informed it will finish about 0200 am oh thanks i must have missed that bit on your website when I booked for d weekend.I was then offered earplugs , excuse moi .I have no a/c in d room and d window is shut but this makes no differance.I have never experienced anything like this except for a few noisy neighbours at home but at least they invite you to the party. I just wanted to visit the city with d family and relax not stuff my ears with poly and hope there is not a fire because we wouldn't hear it !
if you value you sleep and rest stay away.

Room Tip: Read the reviews of the hotel. I forgot to read them and just realised others have been unable to sl...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Stockholm hotels