“Dirtiest hotel and poor service /family room”
Review of Scandic Malmen

Scandic Malmen
Ranked #87 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I booked our stay via viking line. I didn't have high hopes of this hotel but the quality of this hotel was way below than u can expect in normal average hotel.
We came to the hotel in friday morning. We leave our baggages in hotel and asked when we can check in and reception employee says that the room is ready at 3:pm. Scandic websites says that check in is always all hotels at 2:pm.

So we came back to hotel at exactly 3:pm and reception employee says that your room is not ready yet and called someone and turn out that room is ready and cleaned now. Now i of course suppose that room is ready and clean cause its was one our late and employee just checks that.
So we take lift to 6th floor where our room was and first impression in 6th floor hall was that ok the hall floor carpet is quite dirty and dusty but biggest surprise was when we accessed to room.

The room was very, very dirty. The wooden floor of room was full of something sticky and reminds me of nightclubs men toilets where is urine all over the place. I have to remind that it was family room where u can except that kids are growling and playing at the floor. There was big redwine stains in carpet´s and bedside table, tv remote has also some sticky unknown stuff (nice to take hand), one door sill was off, and there was only less than half remaining at toilet paper (we have to asked it more). There was also very poor soundproofing in windows and all the street noises be heard very well in the room.
Your websites also says that every child is getting welcoming gift when they come at Scandic hotel. In our case they didn't got anything expect what u can read above.

And i don't want to hear some explains that "this is really not how it’s supposed to be and if you should encounter something like this again, let us know right away and we will take care of it at once."
I gave you one chance to compensate my experience when I told this same story in your employee at lobby and all I get was that vague talk. In hotel business u have to keep some standards in cleanness level and if u can't do that it is not my job to keep it up and supervise it. If you jump in customer trousers you will understand it.

So i hope that my review of this hotel reaches people who is thinking to book a room of this hotel. I make my own conclusion of scandic hotels what was my experience in here and I'm not sure that will I ever stay in scandic hotel again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Mastajokke
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Malmen, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Hi,
I am really, really sorry to hear that we didn’t meet your expectations and failed to give you a nice stay. What you describe about the room is not at all what it should be like and we fully understand why you are upset about this. It seems like you were accidently checked into a room that had not been cleaned yet. We apologize about this!
Also sorry to hear you we’re bothered by the noise from outside. Our windows are provide with triple glasses but as we’re located in a busy area in the middle of Södermalm it never gets completely quiet in this area. Hope you were not too bothered and managed to get some sleep anyway!
Once again, we’re really sorry! We can do better than this and hope that you would consider giving us a second chance to prove it.
Matilda

Write a ReviewReviews (1,503)

Reviewed 4 January 2014

The Södermalm being the hippest and best area in Stockholm staying in this place is a good idea since you have very close to most of the things you might want to see. The hotel itself is like an old communist block house on the outside but on the iside t's quite the opposite. The bar and restaurant is awesome and at night they throw great parties here with live music sometimes. The rooms are rather boring but ok no more no less... But really you pay for the location!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Malmen, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Hi,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on your stay. We’re really glad that you like our location as well as the great vibe in our bar and restaurant. Hope to see you back with us again!

Reviewed 29 December 2013

Due to work, I had to stay at Malmen for 3 weeks. You can see a lot in 3 weeks, housekeeper only tidy up surface, only to make the room LOOK CLEAN, but actually very dirty. They don´t wash floors at all, they dont vacuum clean unless you create some dirt for them that is VISIBLE. It does not work to tell the management at hotel about how dirty the room is, I still had to tidy up my Suite room everyday myself. The hotel is really close to my work area so I will still stay there due to the location and convenience, but i WOULD NOT recommend to people who likes to stay in a clean room for a long period of time, then you had to tidy up yourself. Hotel is also noisy due to bar downstairs, but that is just unlucky i guess.

Room Tip: higher floors is less noisy, and get a suite room. and dont expect a clean room. check cornors and t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Hi Bobo,
Thank you for taking your time to write this review regarding your stay, although it makes us very sad to hear that your experience with us has not been very good. What you describe about the room is not at all how we want it to feel like staying with us, and we’re sorry we didn’t meet your expectations. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, we will use them in order to improve our everyday work! We still hope to see you as a guests with us at Scandic Malmen again!
Kind regards, Matilda

Reviewed 28 December 2013

The family room at the hotel looked very nice and at first we were really pleased! But we soon realized that the room was not very practical - especially the sink and the doors in the shower corner proved to be somewhat troublesome.
Then there are the little things: the room had only one cup for tea and coffee, the "dining room" lights could only be switched off by the door to the hallway, the sofa bed was terrible, the cleaner didn't put a new trash bag after emptying the trash can in the toilet, the shower head fell of many times (but was maintained during breakfast, big + for that!),... I'm glad we didn't travel with small children since the street next to the hotel is very noisy and there where fights in front of the hotel from very early in the evening (or maybe kids would be okay: we could have disposed of the diapers by throwing them on honking cars - since there was no big trash cans in the room).
Positive sides: the location is very good and it's easy to take the metro (t-bana) to Old Town and city center. There are plenty of pubs near the hotel for those who are into strong cheap (by Nordic standards) beer. Great shopping possibilities.

Room Tip: The family room is spacious but not too practical.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Kundansvarig at Scandic Malmen, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Hi Naava87!
Thank you for sharing all these little things and letting us know what we can do better. It's appreciated and helps us to make a better hotel! Glad to hear you liked our location on fabulous Södermalm, the nightlife and shopping is great here indeed.
Very welcome to stay with us again! Kind regards, Matilda

Reviewed 6 December 2013

First of all Thank you Scandic hotel for a GREAT service that made me feel secure & relaxed during my weekend, Sandra & I think her name was Jenny (?!), so anticipated and well-connected with me. Wonderfull great impression. I was suppose to check out at 11am , and check in in another room at 3pm (the next day), but they made it for me immedietly so i could rest instead. They made everything easier and comfortable.

Its a great location where its close to hundreds of restaurants, supermarkets, McDonalds & KFC 7eleven, Waynes Coffee, Cinema, Systembolaget (buy alcohol), shopping street & metro (only 6min to centralstation).

During the evenings there is a security guard outside the hotels entrance that makes sure it's only Hotel guests getting inside. And to get in to the elevator and get to yours room you need to use a room key. So it feeeels REALLY SAFE!

The rooms were FRESH, cozy and nice modern design. Though they were really tiny, almost like a cabin room on a boat. That's the ONLY minus I would give.

The breakfast buffée was of so many choices, fresh, juicy, health choices with different kind of granola and yoghurts, eggs fruits & vegetables. THANK YOU!

Natalia Pilat

Room Tip: The cabin rooms are the cheapest one cause they are placed in the basement. Which means no window. B...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Guest Relations Manager at Scandic Malmen, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Hi Natalia, Thank you so much for this lovely review, it makes us really happy to hear how much you enjoyed everything about your stay! I will let the staff know how much you appreciated your stay and the service. Hope to see you back with us again soon!

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Room seemed to be nice at first but....
The chair was metallic really, uncomfortable to sit for those couple of hours I had to work. A chair from hell. Mattress had seen it's best days couple of years before. Pillows and covers were of very cheap quality. Breakfast at the restaurant was good in quality but the room was very crowded. Even just after seven. And it did not help that left luggage was not for free, so people took their luggage to restaurant. Did I already mention it was not too spatoius there...yes. Price of left luggage was not high, but it is matter of principle.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Hi Kaisa,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your stay with us, we always appreciate feedback from our guests. I am really sorry to hear you didn’t like the chair or the bed in your room. Kindly let us know straight away if there is something you don’t like about your room and we will do our best to solve it, for example bringing you another chair. We do not charge anything for leaving luggage in our luggage room, all you have to do is ask for the key in the front desk and it is for free. I am sorry if this was not communicated!
I hope you would consider staying with us again at Scandic Malmen, we would love a second chance to give you a nice stay!

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Excellent location on Södermalm. T-bana station couldn't be closer. Great breakfast eith losts of choices. Clean room. Beds not so comfy - loose feet!Noice from the bars at night. We were on 1st floor.Most staff members were nice but some could have been friendlier.

ScandicMalmenSthlm, Kundansvarig at Scandic Malmen, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Hi, Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay. Glad to hear you enjoyed our location, breakfast and clean rooms. Apologize you were disturbed by the noise and that you didn’t like the bed. Very welcome back to us again in the future if you come to Stockholm!