“Business stay”

Ranked #84 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Rotherham, United Kingdom
“Business stay”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

This very busy hotel is located in a bustling part of the city and only a 20 minute walk from the old town (Gamla Stan). There was a busy bar which was popular and full a lot of the time. The rooms are quite varied in the services offered ranging from rooms in the basement that are small and windowless to those on the higher floors that offer quiet and more comfortable accomodation. The rooms were clean and well equipped. The superior / superior plus rooms are probably the best to choose from. It was often too noisy from the activity in the bars and streets below to sleep with the windows open but closed there was no problem. Breakfast choice was excellent and is available until 1030hrs.

Room Tip: The higher rooms (superior or superior plus) are the quieter ones.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Kundansvarig at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Hello Blizzardofaahhhs,

Thank you for your review and your good description of everything.
Great that you enjoyed the hotel the location and our great breakfast.
Our three bars are very popular and that something we are really happy about.

Hope to see you with us soon again.
Lisa Persson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Boston
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed at this hotel, arranged by my hosts, for a few nights. Disappointing all around, after lengthy plane trip from US. First question I asked at reception desk after checking in at 8:30 am was whether they had electrical outlets compatible with North America "No". Second question was whether they had adaptors: "No", but male guest who arrived from US after me told me he was given one. Third question I asked was whether internet or wireless was available. Was told it's easy but no instructions. Finally handed a slip of paper wit incomprehensible instructions. Fourth question I asked was whether there is a store nearby where I can purchase adaptor. I was told it was nearby and a hand waved in one direction. [Did not tell me the store was in a large shopping complex so had to search and search for it.] Then I had to ask what time the store opened. No one made the slightest effort to help me except answer each question with an abrupt yes or no or slightly more. Finally arrived in my room, a sardine can facing a massive brick wall. The bathroom would comfortably fit a two year old; the shower stall was not isolated from the bathroom floor, so if you take a shower, water pours over the bathroom floor. As usual in non-American hotels, no face cloths to wash face. No closet, just two small racks with 3 hangers. No chest of drawers. A massive safe stood on the only real counter top in the room. The wall facing the bed was a mural of "pseudo graffiti" with large circles, a huge menacing face and incomprehensible hand-written scrawls all over in black and white. The opposite of a soothing environment for sleep in strange surroundings. Hotel corridors are dark, musty and poorly lit, the elevators are tiny and people who like to keep a perimeter around strangers will find them uncomfortable. Breakfast buffets were very good, the food fresh, and the breads heavenly. I was deeply disappointed because I have had excellent accommodations on a number of trips to Sweden. This is a hotel geared for young people who are not concerned with universal standards of comfort or hospitality.

1 Thank lilacroller
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Kundansvarig at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Hello lilacroller,

Thank you for your review.
I will forward your feedback to the hotel manager.
I'm sorry you didn't have the expected experience but I'm glad you liked our nice breakfast and our menu of Street eats.
We are usually very proud over the service and the communication we have with our guest so I will take this information with me and we will look into what went wrong this time. The Internet is wireless and called Scandic easy, you fill your name in and your phone number as a code and you're done. I'm sorry this wasn't clearly communicated. Unfortunatly we don't have adapters so I can't figure out how the guest after you got one. You should of course be nicely treated and correctly informed about this and we will look over our routines. We have rooms in diffrent sizes and you are always welcome to tell us if there is something with your room you don't like and we will do our best to help you. About the wallpaper, we have two different kinds of wallpaper specially made for this hotel. One is a bit darker and there is also a lighter one. It sounds like you had the darker kind and maybe a lighter one would have been a better fit. We are currently renovating our elevators but because of a preservation mark on the hotelbuilding we cant make all of them bigger but we will have one large and two smaller ones, and they will all be finished now in may.

I would like to hear more about your stay with us and ask you to contact me at lisa.persson2@scandichotels.com

Lisa Persson

Travellers are raving about these Stockholm hotels

Helsingborg, Sweden
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I have stayed here before and now I´m unfortunately back again, but not of my own choice. The hotel was booked for me by others. Well it´s a place to sleep, anyway. This time I got a room on the first floor heading towards the roof of the reception. I closed the curtains immediately as I got even though the day was sunny and bright. It doesn´t feel like a friendly place, even though it is quiet in this inner yard in comparison to the room heading to the busy streets of Stockholm, as long as you keep the window closed so you don´t hear the airplanes inflight for Arlanda and Bromma airports right above you.
The atmosphere entering the hotel is (at least I felt that way) somewhat gloomy, and the staff, even if they´re not directly hostile, they are not especially cheerful when you approach either.
I did not feel especially welcome this time. This bright and sunny day it is extremely hot in the lobby as well. No air conditioning? Winter must be perfect with the doors fully opened. Sometimes the reception hall is a very noisy place as well. But I´ll quit complaining and tell you this, if you can accept a mediocre hotel just to sleep in,
this hotels location is marvellous. Medborgarplatsen, in the heart of the "South" offers you stores, restaurants and theatres all around. The subway comes up from just underneath the building. It´s a lively part of Stockholm and that might account for something. But as I started to tell you there are better Scandic hotels I Stockholm, if comfort and atmosphere is what you are looking for, but they might not have as nice neighbourhood as this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room heading toward Tjärhovsgatan. This should be OK if you´re not on top of the disco th...
Hello KEFinnman,

Thank you for giving us your thoughts on your stay.
I'm sorry to hear you didn't have the experience you wanted.
The location of the hotel is, as you say, very good and you can very easily reach all parts of Stockholm from the hotel. In the city the level of sound varies from day to day but it will never get completly quiet I'm afraid. The building is marked with a preservation mark and there are some things we can't change. The cooling system is such a thing. We don’t have air-condition in our rooms but an air-cooling system. The air cooling system is a type of a ventilation system and you change it between four different levels with the control. However, the air-cooling system is not as strong as air-conditioning, why our rooms and the hotel can get a bit warm during a very warm summer day.
I'm sorry you didn't like the interior of the hotel and got the feeling the staff wasn't that friendly. I will forward this information to the front desk manager and we will see what we can do to improve the service. Of course we want all our guest to feel welcome and we will take this information very seriously.

I would like to hear some more details about your stay and will ask you to contact me at lisa.persson2@scandichotels.com

London
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

This place is clearly for the young hip and trendy and not for those that need sleep after days travelling or days working or at conferences.

The positives. The staff are lovely. All the men I dealt with over my 4 day stay were polite, pleasant and helpful.

The breakfast is pretty decent. Maybe not totally extensive, but enough selection and pretty tasty too.

The location is pretty good, central for shops, sites and nearby working facilities.

The negatives - the location! Being Central is awesome, but being slap bang in the middle of a noisy city is less than ideal. I would have thought double glazing would help, perhaps it's already there, but it's so noisy it gets through.

Bedroom size is decent enough, bathroom is ridiculous. Too small for a bathroom.

The bed, even though booked and paid for a double, were two single beds out together with a mattress topper to keep them together! This doesn't work and I'm a mover in my sleep, so had ok sleep for 3 nights (plus it gets light really early, 4am?) and the curtains are insufficient.

The staff were lovely, and perhaps with earplugs and eye mask you would be ok.

The only other minor quibble is that end if my stay, using the last of the coffee sachets, I found some stake old crisps at bottom of bowl, must have been in there for ages! Gross.

It's not terrible this place by any means, just maybe not suited fir business travellers, but those who have 3 bars to chose from in lobby fill of young trendy drinkers

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Hello Nomadlad,

Thank you for your review on your stay.
I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the staff and liked the breakfast.
The location is great and we feel really happy to be located in this area, but we don't want anyone to feel disturbed by the city. The level of sound differs every day, we have double-glazing but unfortunatly there is never totaly quiet here in the city. We have three bars and they are very popular, I'm sorry to hear you were disturbed that's the opposite to what we want.
I'm sorry to hear about your discomfort about the bed. When you make a reservation in a standard room you can make a request for double bed or two twin beds and we always do our best to fulfill your wishes, but unfortunately it's not always possible.
The thing you describe about the coffee-tray and the bowl is not okey and I will look into how this could have happened.
If there is anything about your room and your stay, you don't feel satisfied with, please contact us direct at the hotel and we will do our best to help you.

Hope too see you with us soon again and that we could show you that we could do better.

Welcome back to Scandic Malmen.
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Hotel is in a lively area, lots going on, but if your given a room in the two basement floors it sucks! No windows, no phone signal and completely claustrophobic... receptionist almost laughed when I asked to change rooms... Not for Buisness travelers.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Kundansvarig at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Hello Ianrhodes,

Thank you for giving us your thoughts about your stay.
I'm really sorry to hear you didn't enjoyed your visit at Scandic Malmen.
We have two floors with Cabin-rooms which cost a bit less because they are under the groundfloor and don't have any windows. This room is something you only will get if you make a reservation in this category, and we usually are very good at communicate that the room doesn't have any windows. I'm sorry something went wrong this time and you didn't get that information.
A standard queen-or twinroom would maybe be a great option for you.

Hope to see you with us in the future and that we can show you that we could do better.

Lisa
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Living in Switzerland, I'm used to high prices but still found this hotel not to be good value at USD 270 per night.

The rooms are very small and very plain. There is no closet, just bars and hooks. The bathroom is extremely small (sink is about the size of an airplane bathroom, mine was in the corner even). Except for a tiny shelf, nowhere to put anything down... The shower floor is part of the bathroom floor which results in a nice wet bathroom every morning.

They have little character and the hallways feel like a dormitory.

It was difficult to get the room to be very dark (sunrise at 4:15 am in May).

Breakfast area is good, lots of activity. Which is something to look forward to when you leave the room!

Choice are limited in this city in this price range. Just lower your expectations!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Kundansvarig at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Hello Fed S,

Thank you for giving us a review on your stay.
Great that you liked our nice breakfast and was looking forward to it each day.
I'm sorry to hear that you didn't liked your room. The hotel building is marked with a preservation-mark and we are a bit limited in what we could do when we make changes. But I will forward the feedback. You are always welcome to tell us at the hotel, if there is something with your room you don't like and we will do our best to make sure you have a great stay.
We have two different kinds of interior in our rooms, one is a bit darker and might be easier to get dark in the morning and you are always welcome to make a request about what kind of room you want. As an alternative we have cabin-rooms, one and two floors down in the building, they don't have any windows and cost a bit less.

Hope to see you with as again and that we then can show you that we can do better.

Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Hotel might check off all the boxes of a 4 star property but the room felt very basic no storage area just a rod with 3 hangers and a small shelf so it was hard to unpack and settle in. Booked a room with 1 large bed ended up with 2 twins pushed together. The biggest issue is the noise well into the early morning from the club in the ground level of the hotel I was 1 level above it and it was completely unacceptable.

The maids do not make up the rooms till vert late the first day I let go but on the second I had to ask the front desk to have my room cleaned it was after 3 PM.

Wifi is excellent fast and you can use several devices.

Loved the morning breakfast and it is served really late on the weekend if you want to sleep in.

Overall great location nice hotel with a few issues but was an ok value and I would stay again just in a much higher floor

Room Tip: Make sure you as high up as the noise from the club is loud
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Kundansvarig at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Hello Caltom67,

Thank you for your review about the hotel.
I'm glad to hear you liked the hotel, the nice breakfast and that you was pleased with our Wifi.
We have three very popular bars at the hotel and we are really gratefull for them, but we don't want it to compromise the experiences from our guests. The level of sound varies from night to night and I'm sorry to hear that you had trouble sleeping. We have triple glazing in our windows and isolation in the ceiling of our own bar, Lilla Hotellbaren, but unfortunately it is never completely quiet in the area here on Södermalm.
You are always welcom to ask about a room on a higher floor, both when you make the reservation and directly at the hotel, and we will do our best to help you. We also have cabinrooms located downstairs and they are very quiet, such a room could be a good option.
When you make the reservation you could add a request for what kind of bed you want, we always try to accommodate the request but it is not always possible. I'm sorry we couldn't do that this time.
I will forward your feedback regarding the room interior and the cleaning and we will use the information in our efforts to improve ourselves.

Hope to see you with us soon again.