“Great location, good value, ok service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Scandic Malmen

Ranked #79 of 157 Hotels in Stockholm
Oslo
“Great location, good value, ok service”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The Scandic Malmen is a great hotel as long as it lines up with what's important for your travel needs. I booked two junior suites via Scandic's website for a short two-night stay for me and my wife and her sister and fiance who were visiting from the US. The Scandic has a policy of the earlier you book, the cheaper the price of the room. I booked the rooms 2.5 months out and we got a terrific rate for the suites -- my wife and I live in Oslo so we are quite knowledgeable about what qualifies as a good price for hotels in Scandinavia, which tend to be absurdly expensive.

As most reviewers have said, the location of the hotel is terrific. Most of the major tourist sites are within walking distance, and if you'd rather not walk you can take the subway which is located right around the corner from the entrance of the hotel. The hotel is 3 quick stops on the subway from the main train station. It is a 10 minute walk to Gamla Stan and Slussen where you can catch the ferry to Djurgården which has a number of interesting attractions, including the Vasa Museum and the Tivoli amusement park. Being located in the heart of Södermalm, there are a ton of places to eat, drink, and shop, including a huge outdoor seating area (summer only) run by several different bars at Medborgarplassen. There is also a Systembolaget (liquor store) and an ICA grocery store around the corner. Go to the ICA and make a salad from their salad bar and then swing by the Systembolaget for a bottle of wine and head out to one of the islands!

The rooms (junior suites) were spacious, especially by Euro standards, with decent size bathrooms and full tubs. The beds and pillows were really comfortable and the room had plenty of towels. We had a room on the 3rd floor facing the park, which was quite loud when the window was open, but when closed the noise wasn't noticeable at all. It was also very quiet when we were sleeping. We always come prepared with earplugs but didn't need to use them. A few other reviewers have mentioned that the hotel seems a bit run down, and while I don't agree with some of the harsher comments that were made, the rooms could do with some sprucing up. There were a fair amount of scuff marks on the door frames and the walls, and the room, especially the bathroom, could've been a bit cleaner. We didn't find this particularly problematic as location and price rendered these issues moot for us.

The one issue that was of concern was service. Our room didn't have an iron and my wife needed to iron an outfit for dinner so she called down to the front desk to ask for one and was told one would be sent up. When she called 45 minutes later to inquire about the iron again, the front desk person told her she couldn't get a hold of housekeeping and there was nothing else she could do. In the end, she just ended up borrowing the iron from her sister's room. When we returned from dinner the iron had been delivered to our room. I tried using it the next day to iron an outfit of mine and it didn't work. Annoying but not a huge deal.

In our room, my wife and I got robes and slippers, but these were missing from my sister-in-law's room. When she called to ask about the robes and slippers, she was told she must be staying in a lower class of room than we were, which is just an obnoxious and not particularly helpful response. After she said she was staying in the same class of room as us, she was told the slippers and robes would be sent up right away. Right away is apparently a relative metric of time. Annoying but not a huge deal.

We also happened to be in Stockholm during a rare heatwave, which meant that the hotel in general was a bit warm and humid (as was everything else in Stockholm). The rooms had a cooling system, but it clearly was not equipped to deal with such heat and humidity. The cooling system in both rooms dripped from excessive condensation, and while it wasn't much of an issue in our room, the dripping was especially bad in my sister-in-law's room. After contacting the front desk to let them know about the problem, staff was sent to clean up the water. When my sister-in-law inquired about moving rooms, she was told they couldn't guarantee the same problem wouldn't happen in a different room. They offered to send up more towels to help keep the floor dry, but it was several hours and a couple of phone calls before the towels (and slippers and robes finally) arrived. Shortly before we checked-out, my sister-in-law slipped on one of the wet towels and took a pretty hard fall. Annoying and a huge deal.

The issue here is that by the time my sister-in-law fell, she was so fed up with the poor service that she didn't bother saying anything about her fall when she checked-out because she didn't want to be angered further by what surely would've been an indifferent response. I've noticed that the hotel reads and responds to reviews here, so I want to say to them that they need to work on prioritizing service. The staff were obviously aware of the issue with the cooling systems and could've easily advised us at check-in that they were experiencing issues due to the extreme heat in Stockholm. People tend to be far more understanding of issues like this if they're told up front, especially when it's something the hotel can't necessarily do anything about, like weather. The other service issues were small and, if taken by themselves, fairly insignificant. But when taken as a whole, they present a pattern of poor service and this is something the hotel can and should do something about.

This is a good hotel in a great location. If you are able to plan in advance, it's possible to get great rates for good sized rooms. Just prepare yourself for below average service (with the exception of the breakfast staff, who were all friendly and efficient). If you can deal with that, you will probably find the Scandic Malmen a great hotel, in a terrific neighborhood, in one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.

Room Tip: The elevators make a dinging noise when they open, so I would be sure to ask for a room away from th...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank fugeemaven
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Kundansvarig at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Hello Fugeemaven,
I thank you for your review. I would like to get in contact with you regarding your visit at Scandic Malmen and sort out everything and hear more about the accident.
Pleasen contact me at, lisa.persson2@scandichotels.com
I will take all your feedback with me and make sure we use it in our job to improve ourself and the hotel. As you say service is something you always can work on and we are usually very proud over the service and the communication we do have with our guests. This time something went terribly wrong and for that I'm really sorry. Regarding the heat, the copmfort cooling system that we have is not enough when it get this warm i'm afraid. The condensation is a product of this and I'm so sorry to hear about the accident of your sister-in-law. As I mention before I would really like to get in touch with you to hear more about this. Your feedback regarding information about the heat in advance is something I will communicate to my collegues.
I'm glad to hear you appreciated the room, the bed and the friendly staff at the breakfast.

I hope to hear from you.

Scandic Malmen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brno
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This is definitely not a 4* hotel, but that doesn't matter. We stayed for a weekend trip to Stockholm, location is great, just next to a T-bana station with lots of bars, restaurants in local area (Södermalm). Our room was facing the small park next to the hotel, which meant it got a bit noisy at night (nightlife in nearby clubs), but that is to be expected in this location (bring ear-plugs). Room was spacious enough, though there was not much storage space for clothes (no cupboard at all). Beds were comfy, wi-fi worked well. Bathroom was OK. Breakfast buffet was very good (eggs, cheese, ham, cereals etc.). Staff at reception were typical Scandic, simply efficient (check-in and out was swift).

Room Tip: Outside rooms get noisy, inside ones should be better. Avoid basement rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank kukin
Hello Mr K,

Thank you for your review.
Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and liked your room, the breakfast and the bed. Also great to hear that the wifi worked and as you say the location is perfect, we are very happy to be located here in the middle of Södermalm. As you also describe, the city is loud sometimes we have triple glazing in our windows but unfortunately it never get totally quiet in this part of the city. We do have earplugs at the front desk and you can always make a request about staying at a higher floor.

Welcome back to Scandic Malmen,
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were in Stockholm in July. There was a mix-up with our reservation from Booking.com to another Scandic hotel is Stockholm, so we needed to change the hotel. We are very thankful to the reception people at Scandic Malmen who were able to find us a room at their hotel within a 5 min notice, so our weekend was saved!

Rooms were fine, breakfast was very good, location was ok (close to old town), Also next door there is a popular nightclub). Overall very nice experience!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Kundansvarig at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Hi Vesku_s,

Thank you for your review.
I'm glad to hear that we could help you and that you had a nice weekend and enjoyed your stay with us. Great that you also appreciated the breakfast, your room and the location of the hotel which is perfect here in the middle of Södermalm.

Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We would like to express our immense happiness and pleasure during our stay at Scandic Malmen,right from very beginning when we requested for an early check-in due to our cruise arrivals early morning,the lady at front desk was so nice and helpful and she made us an early check-in to have a rest after our cruise journey,Room itself was very clean & up to the mark.Breakfast was World Class with so many varieties of cuisine,lobby during night hours was very cheerful with a nice relaxing music,complete staff was amazingly helpful.We would always consider to stay in Scandic Malmen whenever we plan to visit Stockholm again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Kundansvarig at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Hello Prashantbahl,

Thank you so much for your review and for your nice words. I’m so happy to hear that you had such a great stay with us.
We are so glad you appreciated the breakfast, the staff and your room. We have three popular bars at the ground floor which we are really happy about, I'm glad you liked atmosphere in the bars and the lobby.

Hope to see you with us soon again. Welcome back to Scandic Malmen.

Best regards,
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed as a group of friends at this hotel for one night. Personally I was completely satisfied with our stay: the room was on the first floor, clean and comfortable with necessary amenities. The only thing I missed was a minibar. Despite the fact this hotel is located on a busy street, it's really quiet inside. I should definitely mention the location of this hotel: it takes about 10 minutes to walk to the Old Town with plenty of restaurants and bars.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Kundansvarig at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
Hello Marus B,

Thank you for your nice words about your stay with us at Scandic Malmen.
I'm happy to hear you liked your room and the location. About the minibar, that is something that we only have in our suites at the moment.
Welcome back any time soon.
Hope you have a great summer.

Scandic Malmen.
Newtownabbey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The hotel is right in the middle of a great shopping area with plenty of bars, restaurants and nightclubs but can get noisy in late evening time (it gets noisier the lower the floor your staying on as the hotel Bar can get busy with locals)!!
The rooms were very impressive though they didn't have A/C which was bad for us as we were there in July with 25C heat haha!!
The breakfast was very good with a very large selection on offer and we had a meal one of the evenings and it was very nice!!
Really would stay here again as it was a great location for the old town that was about a 15 minute walk away though it may be a bit hilly for some!!

Room Tip: If u don't want the noise from the surrounding nightclubs best to pick a room off the main stree...
Hello Mirish69,

Thank you for your review.
Great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and liked the hotel, the brekfast and your room.
Hope the heat didn't keep you awake. The location is as you say, great. There is great conctions from this part of Stockholm and we are really happy to be located here.

Have a nice summer.

Best regards
Scandic Malmen.
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I am from the UK and was visiting my friend in Sweden, I stayed in the Junior suit and I have to say I was very impressed with my stay overall, the room was clean and well presented, the staff were friendly, the hotel is in a great location and the check in and out was quick and simple. I would recommend this hotel to any wanting to stay in Stockholm and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ScandicMalmenSthlm, Kundansvarig at Scandic Malmen, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Hello Kim D,

Thank you for your review and your nice words.
We are glad to hear you had a nice stay with us and enjoyed your room, the friendly staff and the location. We feel very privileged to be located right here in the middle of Södermalm.

Knd regards,