“Excellent hotel”

Ranked #29 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
La Jolla, California
“Excellent hotel”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This hotel has the perfect location in the heart of the old city. The staff is first rate,very helpful and friendly. Breakfast is quite good. Room is large enough, wide beds, cozy and nice. I don't think you could do any better for charming oldish hotel located perfectly.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This hotel has all the charm of a bed and breakfast. Cozy rooms, friendly/helpful staff and excellent locations. The location is in the center of Gamla Stan so there is some street noise. My single room was small but very functional with a very comfy bed.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2013

The Lady Hamilton is in a great location in the heart of the Old Town of Stockholm, but a 15-minute walk from the Central Train Station. The decor combines modern efficiency and comfort with antique charm. My single room was small but well thought out; it had everything I needed.
Although my trip timing was off -- I was in Stockholm for Mid-Summer Eve weekend when SO much was closed -- the staff were proactive in trying to help me locate things to do and great restaurants that were open. I did not try the sauna, so its extra charge did not affect me, but I was disappointed in the limitations on the free internet access -- on the other hand, it helped me to "tune out" of work while on my vacation.

Room Tip: No air conditioning, but open window was sufficient in the 70-degree weather of June. Fan was provi...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We arrived after mid night with no luggage,they were proactive on updating us on the expected arrival of our luggage, A pleasant welcome and empathy with late arrival with no luggage, good large bed with excellent en suite. enjoyed the quaint ambience and interesting decor. great location in the old town handy to sights and excursion start points

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Sorry, you cannot use the sauna
Sorry, you have to book and pay extra to use it (this is not made clear and after persuasion they backed down on the extra charge)
Sorry, I forgot to turn on the sauna for your booking ( twice)
Sorry, I forgot to replace the glasses in your room (we asked three times)
Sorry, there is no breakfast as the staff ( of one) is late

Excuses of broken promises (said very friendly) or results - the choice is yours

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank scmw_12
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We arrived at night after a 5 hour train journey from Malmo soaking wet from torrential rain on our way from the station expecting a warm welcome. The only welcome we got was a basic hello. Then it was down to form filling, address, e mail. Home telephone, passports...I was so wet the form I was filling in was soaked. No offers of tea or to dry out. What's with all the form filling anyway? Why do some hotels insist on this as if we were 19th century travellers? My wife tried to start up a conversation with the man as I laboured on the forms but he was having none of it. Not a word. Then we though let's warm up with the sauna,... Is it open? Yes but you have to book it. Can we book it then? No not tonight and the is a charge of 90k each. "Yes it is very bad isnt " he said. My wife argued the toss the over this as we had specifically chosen this hotel because of the sauna and eventually he relented and we could use it for free.
There were no kettles in the rooms so we asked mr grumpys replacement for some hot water which was brought up later. This was much better...but the cups and jug then stayed in our room for 24 hrs until I took them out and left them on the landing, where they stayed for another 24 hours.

It says there is a bar and bistro. There isn't.

We were very much looking forward to breakfast (which you will need in Stockholm) and we had had such a fantastic breakfast in our hotel in Malmo. But it was terrible. Like a third rate hotel or old fashioned hostel. Just a few bits of ham and cheese and poor selection of bread (the bread available in bakeries and supermarkets is amazing)The better bits ran out very quickly. There was no salmon or herring or any fish at all. Plates and tables were left uncleared. On our last day we can down early at 7 because we had a train to catch. The breakfast room was locked. When it was opened up for us it was explained the staff had not turned up so nothing was ready! We had some stale bread and jam for breakfast..mmm...
We did use the sauna which was good but although you had to book they still forgot to turn it on so we had to wait half an hour.
Glasses on our room were cleared after use but not replaced and I had to ask three times for new glasses. Each time I asked it was "not a problem"...

I wished I had stayed in some corporate chain hotel that had good customer standards. The location is good in the old town. I am mystified by all the good reviews. If I hadn't stayed in Malmo I would have judged all swedish hotels on this very poor example.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor in the attic, it was ok and we didn't mind the church clock and bells
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank olgiati
London
Reviewed 5 August 2013

A disappointment: a hotel of undoubted charm but which fails in several important respects. There is no air conditioning so one has to open the bedroom windows which makes the rooms very noisy. We were very often woken by a church clock striking throughout the night and by very noisy rubbish collection early each morning. Better to have stayed in the new town and visited the Old Town by day.
The breakfasts were good, the staff were pleasant. But they should, as a matter of routine, warn guests about the frequent pickpocketing and robberies in the street. Warning notices appeared only after two of our party had had their handbags stolen. They should also explain the difference between the two types of taxis, one twice the price of the other. The city of Stockholm does not look after its visitors as well as it might - no police and no cameras in the streets of the Old Town where, we now know to our cost, gangs of pickpockets roam freely in the summer months.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends