“A little schizophrenic”

Ranked #67 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
New York
“A little schizophrenic”
Reviewed 30 August 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a week just last week and although it is a nice place I find the hotel identity a bit schizophrenic. The hotel has great heritage with stunning chandeliers and they've made it into stylish boutique hotel, but it gets crazy at night with the hotel turned into a party place for young locals with the girls all in six-inch heels. There's no place for a quiet drink although there's a verandah bar on 2nd floor that just didn't have style, not comfortable and filled with young party animals. There's supposed to be a cocktail bar for 'members' and hotel guests but with only two tables in a small corner. It was raining all week and the cocktail bar is closed when rainy so a bit useless. Overall, the rooms are nice but the bathtub in my room was leaky. Service was fine. Location was perfect. Just wish it was a more classy place as I would have expected for an elegant-looking boutique hotel.

Stayed August 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Finnish first
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My partner and I should spend a weekend in Stochkholm and I had two priorities for the accomodation; 1. A central location and 2. Breakfast buffet included in the price. The last here I know very well is a must for my partner.

I found several locations in the central area of Stockholm on internett for around the same price, included breakfast buffet. I fell down on Berns Hotel and booked and paid for a double room, included breakfast. .

When we arrived the hotel receptionist welcomed us, gave us the key card to our room and told us that the were no meals included in the price. I told the receptionist that we had ordered breakfast buffet when we booked&paid for the room and that I was sure of this, because this was a must for our hotel accomodation. I had no success in my trial to explain and was told that if we wanted breakfast we had to pay 220 krones pr persons for each breakfast. I would clearly have choosen another hotel if I had known this and I felt cheated. I will clearly choose another accomodation next time in Stockholm, that is a beautiful city.

Room Tip: Central location.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Sigmund855
BernsHotel, Manager at Berns Hotel, responded to this review, 21 August 2012
Dear guest,

We are so sorry it was a disappointment to you that the breakfast was not included in your price. We have chosen to exclude the breakfast since many of our guests have given us the feedback that they wish to choose for themselves if they want to pay for breakfast or not. In all our booking agents we therefore offer the possibility of booking with our without. So sorry that this possibility was not clear enough to you when making your reservation.

Warm regards,

Berns Hotel
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I've stayed at the Berns may times & it always does well. I'm a big fan of boutique hotels, preferring the quirkiness of the rooms to the bland predictability of the major brands. The Berns staff are wonderfully friendly & helpful, the rooms are clean and comfortable (with free wifi) if occasionally a little cramped. The breakfast buffet & Asian restaurant are surprisingly good & the huge ornate room is great. There's a large bar inside for the winter & one outside on the gound & 1st floors for the summer. There's also one exclusively for hotel guests & "members" on the 6th floor in the summer. In addition there's the nightclub but I haven't been in that! Lastly the location is very central & it's easy to walk to Gamla Stan from there, or to a business address if that's the reason you are in Stockholm.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed 12 August 2012

This hotel is located in central Stockholm close to all relevant attractions and the buzzing nightlife around Stureplan. The hotel does not have a pool or gym but cooperates with a beautiful venue close by. The rooftop terrace is excellently suited for sundowners. The staff can get pretty aggressive in checking whether you are a guest of the hotel, especially during evenings because some people try to enter the club through the hotel entrance. Similarly picky behaviour can be expected from the night porter. Other than that the staff is pretty friendly. The most remarkable staff are Daniel and Danielle (Receptionist / Concierge during the day). Make sure to fetch either, they will make things possible that others cannot. A word of caution: During weekends the club runs on until the morning hours so plan your room accordingly if you do not decide to join. All in all a highly recommendable hotel.

Room Tip: Select a room with desired proximity to the night club in the house.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Marc1234599
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 11 August 2012

It's my favorite hotel in Stockholm. Nice boutique hotel, which has been around forever. Included breakfast is good and Restaurant is very good. Can't beat the location. Rooms are tight but convenient and the bed comfy. During the week I recommend this hotel - but on Fri and Sat, their Nightclub which is hosted in the large ball-room, turned restaurant is very loud and you WILL NOT SLEEP. In the morning you wont be the only one downstairs complaining to the front desk staff about the music.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the noise and hope for the best.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank swixo
Stockholm
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The easytobook website clearly shows a picture of a swimming pool.

This is NOT a swimming pool in this hotel!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Paris, Ile-de-France, France
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I was impressed with the staff even prior to our arrival. Danielle at the front desk was kind enough to do book our taxi to accommodate our need for a large van with two carseats. I found the staff to be always friendly and helpful.

The location of the hotel is perfect...two parks within a two minute walk and easy access to all forms of transportation including the subway, trams and boats. The hotel, however, is easily walkable to the majority of the main sites in the city.

The hotel has a great art deco vibe. The rooms, however, are a bit tired. The bathrooms could use an update to meet the standard of a luxury hotel. We changed our rooms from a junior suite to a medium room (even with two kids) because the size difference in the rooms didn't warrant the significant price difference.

We would, however, absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family