“more central than I realised”
Review of Berns Hotel

Berns Hotel
Ranked #34 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Absolutely stunning dining room/nightclub in a lovely hotel very centrally located. The hotel does some almost second thought to the nightclub but the rooms are nice, if not extravagant, and mine had a partial view of the park out front. Many reviews talk about the noise from the club at night and I was somewhat concerned. I can sleep through anything and did so on this trip, but on the 5th floor, I could still hear the music quite clearly and it only got loud around midnight. It's an urban club, too, so the bass is quite heavy. If you are a light sleeper, you may be better suited elsewhere.

I was very happy with my stay: kind and helpful staff, fantastic breakfast (maybe the best I've had as part of the hotel package in continental Europe), well appointed rooms, Malin + Goetz toiletries didn't go unwelcomed, location to Old Town and the rest of Stockholm was amazing. 10 minute walk to anywhere. I thought the price was completely acceptable, as well, considering Sweden has the reputation for being very expensive.

Room Tip: If a light sleeper, ask to be at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 December 2013

Berns Hotel had a great standard, it was clean and the staff was very polite and helpful. A great location with walking distance to almost everything you'd want to see. The breakfast was also very nice with a lot to choose from.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2013

I stayed at Berns hotel with my husband during the christmas holidays. We stayed in a nice big room but there was not much of a view. We had a really good stay with good service from the staff. Everybody we met were so friendly and helpful we felt so welcomed. We had a christmas buffet that I've never had before with Asian food. It was so good we are planning to stay there for next year again. The location is great and is withing walking distance to all the shopping. I would really recommend this hotel for couples.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Hotel itself, food and location is perfect but hotel rooms are not really luxury at that price, also cleaning is not everyday, even when you put the signage for cleaning they are not clean the rooms or change the bedding.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 December 2013

everything is absolutely perfect in this place.
the hotel is luxury with a high quality of service, the restaurant is really tastefull and not so expencive, the night club is one of my favorite in the world!
an amazing experience for a journey in stockholm.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2013

Although there are a few great points about this hotel, I would not rush to recommend it. Emily, in reception, (Emily, thank you, your help was one of the very good 'points' ) had spoken to management regarding some of the problems we encountered and we were promised a call back to rectify issues, albeit after we left. Several weeks on and this has yet to happen. Well perhaps Berns hotel are not that bothered about feedback, after all I had already told them we would not be back....

Having said that, for me, it's not necessarily the problems with a hotel that stop me returning. No! It's the way they are dealt with. I can accept imperfections, even faults!! The experience is not always as good as it should be, or indeed, what you paid for and sometimes it's no ones mistake, just one of those things. In this case issues included holes in the sheets, very poor housekeeping standards such as dirty glasses being left in the room, a screw fitting on the floor, present on arrival and still there after the room was cleaned ( if they aren't cleaning the things you CAN see, what about the things you can't), old towels that should have been thrown away years ago, a safe that broke with our things stuck in it (I know, just one of those things) generally poor upkeep of rooms.... It was not even that we wanted recompense or any discount (interestingly, Berns were clear to us that we could not have any refund anyway since we booked through a third party and not them..... Er, ok then ???!!) or even just a free breakfast ( which was included anyway although Berns were unaware and we were charged for it, being refunding only after WE pointed it out....) it would simply have been good to have the opportunity to discuss the issues with management before posting negatively about it! While the rooms look nice enough and are well sized and equipped, scratch the surface and things are not what they should be. For a hotel of this price you expect much much more.

And, probably most importantly for most people.... The noise. Know that this hotel seems to be primarily a night club. We travelled with friends and had 2 rooms and both paid extra for upgrades. On checking in we we're told that one couple would have a good and quieter room on the 6th floor, the other should be prepared for noise until at least 3am. On later conversations.... What could they do about it if it was too noisy? Well they had a ready supply of ear plugs, that's what! And, since there is no mention of this on their website and we may not have booked if we had known in advance, what should we do if, despite ear plugs, we could still hear the noise? Well, to quote one of the receptionists "there is this little thing called trip advisor...." Hmm, so basically we should have done our research and it was not their problem! And besides, apparently "everybody in Stockholm" knows this is a premier night time destination..... Ah, ok, so if we already lived in Stockholm, we would have known not to stay here if we wanted a decent nights sleep! Silly us!

Well since the noise was terrible Saturday AND Sunday, (it really was terrible in our 3rd floor room even with ear plugs) we went to the club on the Saturday rather than try to sleep (on Sunday I think the noise was coming from the theatre). And, despite the noise being one of the worst points about this hotel, the club itself is certainly one of the best, it was excellent. So, if Stockholm night life is top on your list and you are not too bothered by getting a poor quality room that you pay a high price for, then Berns might be for you....

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
AnnaBengtsson, Manager at Berns Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Guest,

I deeply apologize that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations and even more for not contacting you as promised.

Regarding the housekeeping standards we always strive to ensure good quality that clearly was not followed in this case. I appreciate therefore that you give us feedback so we can provide better service in the future

We feel that our image, of a popular entertainment destination is clearly conveyed on our website and thus it is unfortunate that this was possibly not as clearly conveyed through the channel you booked.

I would be very happy to discuss your views on your visit and get the chance to personally apologize so please, feel free to contact me. My e-mail address is: anna.bengtsson@berns.se

Warm Regards,

Anna Bengtsson
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 9 December 2013

Here is the good part; Hotel Berns has one of the best locations in town and the breakfast is decent. And surely it looks good on pictures. If these are what matters to you, go ahead. But if you wish your hotel room would have toilet which wouldn`t stink due to bad cleaning (and run down works: black mould stains in the tile seams). Or the furniture wouldn`t look as used and worn as they do. Or the staff would be nice not arrogant. I wish I would have liked it, but when you are charged twice the prepaid breakfast or there is a fee when you try to reach the maid from the room phone - there is something very wrong with this place. Well actually it makes sense now that I think of it: the webpage with all the extra offers really did remind me of Ryanair...

Room Tip: The base noise from the nightclub was ok in the 5th floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank DolderScandinavia

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write this review. We strive to be Stockholm’s best hotel and that is why we at all times appreciate our guests’ feedback.

Regarding the cleaning standards we always strive to ensure good quality that sorrowfully was not followed in this case. I appreciate therefore that you give us feedback so we can provide better service in the future. I can also happily say that just finished a face lift off all our rooms and furniture’s and that we have a renovation project for all our bathrooms that will be completed within this coming year.

I think it is very sad that you experienced us as arrogant and I hope you'll visit us again so that we get the chance to meet you in the best way, as we always get such incredible praise about our service attitude.
Once again, thank you for taking the time to write this review and I am sincerely sorry that we didn’t fulfill your expectations.

Warm Regards, Anna