“Ideal Position”
Review of First Hotel Reisen

First Hotel Reisen
Ranked #56 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my daughter in May 2013. We upgraded to a junior suite as the standard room was very small and the view was an alley. The junior suite was fantastic -large , light and the most amazing views over the islands -worth the extra.The staff at reception were very helpful and arranged dinner bookings for us .The breakfast was excellent. My daughter has food allergies and the staff in the restaurant were fantastic at providing gluten free breads, crispbreads and cereals and there was dairy free milks and spreads as standard on the buffet. My only complaint is the room was not cleaned very thoroughly each day -mainly it appeared the beds had just been made and the coffee/tea making facilities were not refreshed - maybe we could have called reception but would have expected this as standard.However the hotel is in an excellent position on Gamla Stan , has amazing views and very friendly helpful staff.Would definately stay again given the opportunity.

Room Tip: pay extra for the front rooms with the views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Donna M
There are newer reviews for First Hotel Reisen

Reviewed 27 May 2013

This historic old building dates back to the 17th century and had many incarnations until 1993 when First Hotels bought it. I had requested a room on the 4th floor or above with a sea view. I got this and the view was magnificent. I was even treated to a fireworks display one evening. The location is brilliant being right on the edge of Gamla Stan, the old city, with its many winding alleyways filled with interesting shops and cafes. It is also walking distance to the Royal Palace and the Nobel Museum. Some of the furniture in the room had beautifully inlaid wood. There was an iron and ironing board and a laundry line over the bath which was badly placed as it dripped onto the floor and not into the bath. There was a mini bar with nothing in it, but this was a good thing because you could bring your own food in as Stockholm is a very expensive city. The breakfast was great and served on the ground floor looking out over the street. The staff were helpful and friendly.

Now for the down side. This hotel has a special program for dogs and encourages their owners to bring them to the hotel. I had specifically requested a dog free room. However the skirt of the bed was torn and dirty, there was a large hole in the seat of the chair and there were scratches on the inside of the door, so I'm not sure if a dog had never inhabited this room. The bathroom was extremely small with the shower over the bath. On the side of the bath was a metal drain which could easily rip your leg as you get out of the bath (see photo). The toilet had a wooden seat and lid - very unhygienic. There was no room to put your toiletries, I left my toilet bag on the floor outside the bathroom. There was a slab of black granite jutting out over the wash basin for the hotel supplied toiletries. The space in the bathroom was so tight you had to go into the bedroom to dry yourself after a shower. Between the toilet, washbasin, bath and door the free space measured 35cm x 82cm, but there was a phone in the bathroom in case you got stuck trying to turn around. One night I got back from a full day of sightseeing at 6.15pm and the room had not been cleaned. I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and by the end of the trip the tiny bathroom was starting to get me down. I returned to Stockholm a few weeks later and stayed at another hotel for half the price, but minus the view.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th floor or above with a sea view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank TravelbugVietnam
Reviewed 13 May 2013

My family came to visit me in Sweden, and we spent one night in Stockholm at this hotel. It was a wonderful experience. We arrived early, and were able to store our bags as well as get an upgrade because of a reservation error that was completely my fault. The staff was courteous and knowledgeable about tourist destinations. The room was also lovely, and had plenty of room for four people. The bathroom had heated floors, and a large bathtub. The breakfast was a buffet of traditional Swedish foods, as well as having other international options. The location was perfect, being on Gamla Stan - you are close to just about everything. We were also able to store our luggage at the hotel after checking out so we did not have to lug our bags around until we were ready to head to the train station. Overall, it was an amazing hotel, and a great introduction to Stockholm for my family.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Elle23Kaye
Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

A very good hotel with the perfect starting point to explore Stockholm. The rooms are very comfortable, smallish but to be expected in an historic location. It's a good idea to have breakfast included in your stay, the buffet is brilliant and very generous.

The staff were friendly and efficient.

No in-room safe (for the travel wary) but fairly secure.

Close to trains, ferries, buses. And a short walk from almost everywhere.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 3 May 2013

Spent two nights in April there, superior double room with sea view (or something like that). Room was spacious, clean, big bathroom. There was no mini bar and no bottled water. I was too tired to check room service. Guys at reception were good, but i don't have anything good to say for staff on breakfast. They have some "checkpoint" where you tell them room number, but beside that i was asked same question few more times, like im some drifter that wants free breakfast.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

I almost did not make it to this hotel since I had a bad experience at the previous sister hotel in Copenhagen (Sky Petri) I'm glad that I didn't change the reservation. They didn't know but, i had already coming in a bad mood and expecting the worst. When we arrive, we were disecting every single detail, a fact (its not handicapped friendly) old fashion stairs, maybe 5 steps up to reach lobby. Since it is in front of bay I understand due to flooding but they could fix something there. No front door person, we had to lift our bags. Not a problem, but like I said, we were disecting everything. Nice gentleman, very friendly with a honest smile immediately acknowledge our presence, welcomed us and proceeded to check us in. Acknowledge our status, inform us of breakfast, upgrade and a local experience compliments of hotel. We were not sure about this since they gave us an "upgrade" last hotel but we thanked him. He offered to give us a night in a famous nightclub with drinks but we declined, he ofred to exchage for a fihsing trip but too cold we thought, but he isnisted that he will try to find something for us. "That is what I'm talking about" He still was going to try. We went to our room on 5th floor and key did not work, (if you have followed my last review in Copenhagen you will understand my thoughts now) Oh no not again" I went calmly down to reception and told him key did not work. he apologized profusely for his mistake, he gave me the wrong room, he was suppose to give me 4th floor. Ok, "upgraded from 5th to 4th I thought", whatever, I took the key did not ask any q's. Went to get my wife and told her is one floor below, she didn't look happy either. We arrived 4th floor and room had a big sign DELUXE ROOM, tacky but at least noted. WOW! what a view, with sauna and a welcome amenity for us and our dog (we travel with our 5Lbs shih tzu) We were sold! This hotel went above and beyond to acknowledge that our business is appreciated. Like I mentioned before, I think Scandinavia is not too much attention to detail so I know what the staff did was out of their world. Breakfast is good, plenty of food and choices, location excellent, price reasonable and staff excellent. Strongly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oscar V
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Located in the old town with frontage to the river and walking distance to many museums and sites. Reasonable size rooms, good buffet breakfast with a wide range of variety and great customer service. We visited Stockholm for a weekend trip during their Cultural weekend (all museums, palaces, churches and galleries are free to the public on Saturday night until 12am), which meant all the popular restaurants in the old town were already booked out in advance and we had no luck making our own reservations. The staff recommended and booked a restaurant (Swedish cuisine) for us, which was a 10min taxi ride from the hotel and the food was fantastic. We then headed back to the hotel bar for a night cap at 11pm which was buzzing with locals and hotel guest. Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple