“Great location & accomodation terrible bar staff”
Review of First Hotel Reisen

First Hotel Reisen
Ranked #60 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 27 June 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights along with another six people as a travelling business group. The rooms in the hotel are very nice and clean, they are not the largest but for two people I thought there was enough room for us and our luggage. The curtains were block out which is handy with the extra long days in summer. Both the room and the bath room were very clean. Beds quite comfy too.
What left us with a sour taste and a memory which will last is the terrible bar staff and wait staff. All eight of us are still talking about how bad the service was in this hotel. With the exception of reception staff and the wait staff for breakfast. These guys did a great job but unfortunately the guys in the bar and the awful waitress we had is what we will remember.
Our first night there we decided to have dinner in the restaurant. The selection was pretty poor and when we asked if there was more any specials the rude waitress rolled her eyes and shrugged. Now she can't make the excuse of not understanding us because not only did she speak English one of our group is Swedish and he spoke for most of us. At one point when she was delivering our meals she was talking on her mobile so when we asked for salt she held her hand up to quiet us and walked away!
Now for the bar staff. The men in our group just did not get served, if you are not female in the age of 18-25 don't bother going to this bar as you will not get served. The two bar staff here are too busy chatting up women or checking themselves out as they shake their cocktails! The worst bar staff I have ever encountered. Rude, lazy and just plain bad.
It took us 30 minutes just to buy one round and there was only 20 people in the place.
So yes the rooms are nice and yes the locations is excellent but service - TERRIBLE.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank krush7
Write a ReviewReviews (1,420)

Reviewed 19 June 2013

Based on some of the other reviews I thought about up grading to a larger room but in the end I am glad we didn't. Our room was small by American standards but just fine by European standards. We stayed in room 316 which based on the room map was a bit larger than some the other standard rooms. However, as the person that stayed in 116 mentioned, you are right about a delivery place. With windows closed it was not a problem.

Room was spotless. Our only complaint has to do with lack of storage. I wish the space taken up by the ironing board had been shelving. We also wish there had been some sheer curtains in addition to the drapes. The room faces an alley and across the alley are offices. The sheers would have afforded some privacy without compromising the light in the room.

Staff was exceptional. The hotel is not small but the staff makes it feel that way. Very personal service. We let them recommend restaurants each of the 6 nights we were there. All were wonderful. We too were there during the Royal Wedding. The staff assured me that it would not be a problem getting in and out of the hotel and they were absolutely correct.

Both my husband and I enjoyed the robust breakfast buffet. There were many options and all was replenished on a regular basis. One morning we were among the last there and they were clearly cleaning up for the day. However, we never felt rushed.

If all that isn't enough...the location is wonderful. Even if you don't have a room with a view just step out the front door and look around.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dcdogmom
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Right in the old part of Stockholm and on the waterfront. We don't use hotel rooms for the view: we do our viewing when we get out - therefore we were not concerned in that respect. However, we did appreciate the distinguished old building and the incredibly helpful staff. They were particularly good in getting us out. There was a Royal Wedding and the whole island was to be closed at 0800 on the day we had to fly out (the hotel is close to the royal Palace). We escaped with 15 minutes to spare, but under the eye of the staff.
The rooms are comfortable although we needed to keep the window open to stay cool: the assumption seems to be that you are more likely to be cold than hot.

Room Tip: Avoid 116: it is right above a store room and the noise from deliveries can be annoying.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my daughter in May 2013. We upgraded to a junior suite as the standard room was very small and the view was an alley. The junior suite was fantastic -large , light and the most amazing views over the islands -worth the extra.The staff at reception were very helpful and arranged dinner bookings for us .The breakfast was excellent. My daughter has food allergies and the staff in the restaurant were fantastic at providing gluten free breads, crispbreads and cereals and there was dairy free milks and spreads as standard on the buffet. My only complaint is the room was not cleaned very thoroughly each day -mainly it appeared the beds had just been made and the coffee/tea making facilities were not refreshed - maybe we could have called reception but would have expected this as standard.However the hotel is in an excellent position on Gamla Stan , has amazing views and very friendly helpful staff.Would definately stay again given the opportunity.

Room Tip: pay extra for the front rooms with the views.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Donna M
Reviewed 27 May 2013

This historic old building dates back to the 17th century and had many incarnations until 1993 when First Hotels bought it. I had requested a room on the 4th floor or above with a sea view. I got this and the view was magnificent. I was even treated to a fireworks display one evening. The location is brilliant being right on the edge of Gamla Stan, the old city, with its many winding alleyways filled with interesting shops and cafes. It is also walking distance to the Royal Palace and the Nobel Museum. Some of the furniture in the room had beautifully inlaid wood. There was an iron and ironing board and a laundry line over the bath which was badly placed as it dripped onto the floor and not into the bath. There was a mini bar with nothing in it, but this was a good thing because you could bring your own food in as Stockholm is a very expensive city. The breakfast was great and served on the ground floor looking out over the street. The staff were helpful and friendly.

Now for the down side. This hotel has a special program for dogs and encourages their owners to bring them to the hotel. I had specifically requested a dog free room. However the skirt of the bed was torn and dirty, there was a large hole in the seat of the chair and there were scratches on the inside of the door, so I'm not sure if a dog had never inhabited this room. The bathroom was extremely small with the shower over the bath. On the side of the bath was a metal drain which could easily rip your leg as you get out of the bath (see photo). The toilet had a wooden seat and lid - very unhygienic. There was no room to put your toiletries, I left my toilet bag on the floor outside the bathroom. There was a slab of black granite jutting out over the wash basin for the hotel supplied toiletries. The space in the bathroom was so tight you had to go into the bedroom to dry yourself after a shower. Between the toilet, washbasin, bath and door the free space measured 35cm x 82cm, but there was a phone in the bathroom in case you got stuck trying to turn around. One night I got back from a full day of sightseeing at 6.15pm and the room had not been cleaned. I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and by the end of the trip the tiny bathroom was starting to get me down. I returned to Stockholm a few weeks later and stayed at another hotel for half the price, but minus the view.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th floor or above with a sea view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank TravelbugVietnam
Reviewed 13 May 2013

My family came to visit me in Sweden, and we spent one night in Stockholm at this hotel. It was a wonderful experience. We arrived early, and were able to store our bags as well as get an upgrade because of a reservation error that was completely my fault. The staff was courteous and knowledgeable about tourist destinations. The room was also lovely, and had plenty of room for four people. The bathroom had heated floors, and a large bathtub. The breakfast was a buffet of traditional Swedish foods, as well as having other international options. The location was perfect, being on Gamla Stan - you are close to just about everything. We were also able to store our luggage at the hotel after checking out so we did not have to lug our bags around until we were ready to head to the train station. Overall, it was an amazing hotel, and a great introduction to Stockholm for my family.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Elle23Kaye
Reviewed 13 May 2013 via mobile

A very good hotel with the perfect starting point to explore Stockholm. The rooms are very comfortable, smallish but to be expected in an historic location. It's a good idea to have breakfast included in your stay, the buffet is brilliant and very generous.

The staff were friendly and efficient.

No in-room safe (for the travel wary) but fairly secure.

Close to trains, ferries, buses. And a short walk from almost everywhere.

• Stayed: May 2013