“Cosy hotel, close to almost everything”
Review of Elite Hotel Adlon

Elite Hotel Adlon
Ranked #40 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We booked a 4 star hotel, but this is really 3-3,5. Expensive but think this is Stockholm standard.
Problems with cleaning (they skipped the toilet/bath room) the first day. Dust on floor.
Friendly and smiling staff.
ADLON sign over entrance to hotel has two broken letters. Not a good impression from the outside. I always look at the facade....
We had a Junior Suite in the corner 'tower'- Charming room, round, with an extra small room attached.
We arrived on a Friday, and the first three nights we were kept awake by the traffic and city noise outside (Vasagatan outside) that only closed down at about 1-2 am in the night. So be aware of this. Perhaps a room to the other side would have been better. But we did not know that beforehand.
Breakfast room is way too small as it can only seat about 50-60 persons and the hotel has 100 rooms. So we advise all to find a table before you pick up the food! Or you might have to eat standing up.
Breakfast has few vegan/vegetarian choices. Lactose free milk and soyamilk, but not kept cold as put out for coffee and tea. Loose tea! Nice touch.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Vasagatan are/can be noisy at night. But our Junoir Suite was charming (matching colou...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
My Ö, Receptionschef at Elite Hotel Adlon, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear Tara,

Thank you for your feedback. We hope to continuously improve with your feedback. Suggestions and comments are important to us.

We are building a new bigger breakfast room that will be ready in the beginning of next year.

We are building new rooms that will be with AC that will also be ready at the same time as the restaurant.

We look forward to the next opportunity to welcome you back to Elite Hotels of Sweden!

Reviewed 27 August 2014

LOCATION
-- Very conveniently located on Vasagatan in the heart of Stockholm;
-- 2 minutes walk to Drottningatan, the main pedestrian only street of the city with shops, cafes, bars & restaurant;
-- 3 minutes walk to Hotorget;
-- 4 minutes walk to Central Station;
-- 3 minutes walk to Ice Bar;
-- 2 minutes walk to the Casino;
-- 6 minutes walk to the drop-off point of the Flight Buses from Arlanda;
-- 10 minutes walk to Gamla Stan;
-- 15 minutes walk to Sture Plan;
-- the Hop-On Hop-Off buses stop right outside the hotel.

ROOMS & BATHROOMS
-- Decent sized rooms but the bathrooms are too small. The shower enclosure is barely 2 feet by 2 feet. I couldn't even soap myself properly because of the space constraint.

BREAKFAST
-- Breakfast was okay but the breakfast room is too small. Almost every day I saw guests turn away (perhaps to come back a little later) after seeing that there was no space in the breakfast room.

Also, an interesting buffet breakfast is one where some of the items on offer are changed from day to day while certain others (the breakfast staples) stay the same. I have seen this at many hotels in different countries. However, it was the exact same fare served in the exact same way every day for the 6 days that I was at this hotel. Boring !

OTHERS
A very big minus for this hotel is that it is not air-conditioned. There are no ceiling fans either. The temperature in Stockholm during the week we were there was 30 degrees!! The front desk did arrange a small little table fan on request but it wasn't adequate.

Room Tip: If you're visiting in the hotter months, then pls check whether the rooms are AC or not
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank rnzn-indian

Reviewed 25 August 2014

This hotel was close to Central Station which is great when you have suitcases and don't want to walk far. The staff were friendly and held our luggage since check in is not before 3pm. The room was very small (double bed) and any amenities had to be asked for at reception. The iron in the room was cheap and useless. Breakfast was adequate. The hotel is OK for overnight stay or business, but I wouldn't recommend it for couples or holidays as the price (2,000SEK a night) is quite high for such a small room, some of the larger hotels nearby would have better restaurants and bars for atmosphere.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Emily,

We are building a very nice restaurant that will be ready in the beginning of next year.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed here for a week long family vacation. The room was nice, and plenty of space for the four of us. The breakfasts were very good. The staff was very friendly and helpful whenever we needed something. Only negative was that the Wi-Fi didn't work for about half of our stay. Being from the US, that was our main way to stay in touch with home, and was a little frustrating.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Jodi,

Thank you for telling us about the internet connection, we will have to investigate that and solve that issue.

Reviewed 23 August 2014

The adlon hotel on vasagatan is very well positioned from central station and arlanda express about 4 minutes)
Very friendly check in on arrival< given a map to get my bearings!
The single room resembled the square footage of a prison cell! but much better fitted out with a very comfortable bed good lighting, flat screen television<and tea and complementary coffee>
The bathroom was well fitted out with a superb shower and shampoo etc.
The breakfast buffet was outstanding with hot bacon egg sausage, cold ham cheeses smoked salmon with an array of fresh fruits youghurts etc< ceareals all the different breads butter dressings and any coffees teas as well with the most delicious Swedish biscuits.
I have no hesitation in recommending this very well managed Hotel and the next time I visit the beautiful city of Stockholm the Adlon is first on my list!

Room Tip: higher rooms have a better view at the front
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank philipScotland

Dear Philip,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This is an old downtown hotel. It is clean but dated, not antique decorated, but dated.
The room was larger than most Swedish hotel rooms.
It was warm when we were there and the hotel does not have air conditioning in the rooms.
Ask for a fan.
As a result of the heat we kept our windows open and were disturbed by the street noise.
The location is convenient for walking Stockholm and travelling to and from the airport. The Express train and bus stop and just a few steps away.
The staff were helpful.
The breakfast was very good quality and abundant.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sand369

Dear Sir/Madam,

We are building new rooms with AC and we also have fans that you can borrow during the summer time.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

I don't think the Swedes do heat well! I stayed here for three nights (attending a wedding) in early August during a "heatwave" (i.e. temperatures up to 30C).

The hotel is very well located just over the road from the Central Station and therefore extremely well sited for airport and rail transport.

I had a single room of reasonable size and with a good-sized single bed. The receptionist promised to relocate me if the bed was too small but this was not the case. A clean bathroom, good linen, effective wi-fi and good sound proofing (the Swedes seem to do very substantial doors and windows) completed a perfectly acceptable room.

None of the other hotels I visited in town had AC and the Adlon is no exception so it was imperative to have the windows open - and my room on the first floor front opened on to the street with the inevitable noise that brings; however ear-plugs easily countered that. Being on the first floor does bring other dangers however as I opened the curtains one morning to be confronted by the open-deck of a tourist bus. As I had been sleeping "in the Scandanavian style" (as it were) I had to cover my modesty rather swiftly...

The breakfast buffet was extensive with hot and cold options in good quantity with frequent replenishment. As has been noted in other reviews, getting seated at peak times could require a short wait but nothing at all major.

A couple of PCs and a printer were available (and working!) in the lobby which I used to print off my return boarding card.

I had contact with a number of staff and they were friendly and helpful at all times.

Sweden (and Stockholm perhaps especially) seems rather expensive to us Brits with Sterling being so weak so this is by no means a budget hotel, but it is good value in context and I would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: In summer, the lower front rooms are open to street noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank mchumph

Dear Sir/Madam,

Regarding the breakfast room, we are building a new bigger breakfast room that will be ready in the beginning of next year.