“Free upgrade”

Scandic Norra Bantorget
Ranked #89 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We chose Scandic Norra Bantorget for its location: near the central railway station and the main shopping street Drottningsgatan. Actually the whole beautiful city is reachable with hotel bikes which are free of charge. Stockholm, like most Scandinavian cities, is a safe city to get to know on bike.
We also wanted to have a room with a kitchenette to cook our light lunches so we opted or a studio room which are located in a separte building nearby, a few minutes' walk from the main building. The studios are all different, ours happened to have an icehockey theme, which wasn't so great since we actully hate the game:(. But what the heck, the studio was small but functional with its kitchenette (fridge, hot plates, micowave, kitchenware) and ok bed.
Breakfast was served in the main building. It was ok, but not as good as in th other Scandics I've stayed in.
I was quite pleased with the stay except for to things: there was no ac in the room (it was hot!) and also there was a lot of noise coming from the restaurant patio next to our window.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 18madhatter
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Some reviews describe it being close to the central railway station. Technically it is but it felt a heck of a long way the night we arrived by train from Oslo.

It had been a heat wave and the train was not air conditioned (except for the canteen carriage where it seemed to be freezing). The old gentlemen sitting next to the only train window that could be opened refused to do so.

And so we arrived very hot and bothered in Stockholm late in the night with a lot of luggage and found we had a longer than expected walk up a hill to get there. Not the fault of the hotel of course.

The reception staff were bright cheerful and great help. However our journey was not over. We were allocated a room on the 9th floor of the adjacent connected building. To get there entailed a long long walk around many corners using two lifts to get there. A great deal of attention needed to be paid to the signage.

What a joy we had next morning to find our room overlooked the skyline of Stockholm. The room was spacious and well appointed. We would have traded the ironing board or kettle for a fridge but that is a minor quibble and no doubt not to everyone's taste.

We wanted to dine in on the Saturday night but were very strongly discouraged because they had a couple of bus loads booked in. In fact we were told we would get better service elsewhere. Amazing honesty and we did eat elsewhere. There are a very many alternatives close by.

We really did need to dine in on Sunday night and were told much the same thing although the expected crowd was smaller. We went ahead and stayed with the hotel restaurant which at that point was deserted. The meals were very good. The wait for the mains was fine but after a long wait for dessert we advised they would ring through to our rooms when it came available! They did. I'm not sure why we needed to wait because both deserts were premade types and needed little more than plating up.

All up? Well located, great rooms for the price (at least ours were) and generally honest value-for-money.

Stayed July 2014
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Good central location, short walk from central station, stroll to main shopping mall and the old city. Modern clean hotel, excellent value for money.

Compact room but decorated in lovely modern style, all amenities at hand. Bathroom modern and very clean. Breakfast included in our room rate. Wide choice of breakfast food, including traditional scandinavian options. Busy breakfast as we stayed on weekend. All staff friendly and helpful. Very happy and would recommend to others and would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel was our cheapest option that satisfied the four star criteria, so naturally we were a bit weary of what we might find. However, the hotel has met all of our expectations - rooms and hallways, as well as lobby are all clean. The size of the room is relatively small but not so small that it feels claustrophobic. Plenty of room for suitcases and other bags. Shower is a good size as well compared to some other hotel rooms in Europe.

From a location standpoint, the hotel is within a 10 minute walk of several subway stops and a 15 min walk from the central subway station, as well as the central train station. It is about a 20-25 minute walk to the Old Town area, and the walk is down a popular shopping street so, the first time around, it's a nice walk, complete with people watching, window shopping and lots of souvenir options. However, as we've now had to go on this walk about 10 times in the past four days, it's getting a bit frustrating to have to wander through all of the people that go up and down this street. So a good location for a lower price, but not so much if you are looking to be super close to all the sightseeing. There are good restaurant options very close to the hotel, and based on our stay, a rather safe area to stay in during a visit to Stockholm.

Breakfast is included and is very comprehensive in options! As well as, most importantly, delicious!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aisp264
Helsinki, Finland
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Was meeting up with a friend in town and booked this for one night for us, based on previous experiences with the Scandic-group.

The location was good, not too much noise although it's located very central. The room we had was a good size, but a bit weirdly decorated. And no air-conditioning! Which made sleeping difficult as it as 29 degrees during the days and 22 degrees during the night, with those temperatures a cool room is a necessity.

Breakfast was basic, nothing special stood out to me. My friend had some bacon and said it was over salted, I had scrambled eggs and they had no salt at all. Go figure.

But the poor rating comes from the room and the cleaning. We checked in a bit earlier but was told the room was ready so took our luggage there and went out on town. At this point me used the bathroom and the door closed fine. When we came back 5 hours later there was suddenly a blue cleaning towel on the floor by the bathroom door, which didn't close. So that towel wasn't there earlier.
Firstly, this means that even though we were told the room was ready it apparently was not and they entered our room after check-in. Secondly, they didn't even clean the room properly; there was a shelf above the bed (only place on that side of the room to put down anything on) which had old breadcrumbs. Which nicely fell down on the bed all the time. Not to mention that towel they left behind.

This was obviously a mistake by the hotel, which I wanted to let them know so I didn't check out by e-mail (which is a cool feature otherwise) but went down to the desk thinking that we could work something out since this really wasn't ok. After I explained what happened they said "sorry, we'll let the housekeeping know. Here's your receipt, have a nice day". So they charged and checked me out while I was explaining everything and didn't seem to care. So thanks for making me feel like the least important guest staying there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Stockholm hotels

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I stayed in room 108 of this hotel from June 15-18 2014. The hotel itself is fine. Its location is very good in that it is within walking distance of shopping areas and the Old Town and it is less than a 5 minute walk from central station. However, I will never stay here again and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else either. I waited 2-3 weeks before doing my review to see if I would alter my view and I haven't! I have never been treated so badly in any hotel I have ever stayed in.

I was in Stockholm for a conference with a colleague. We both had single rooms booked through work.

I arrived at this hotel at approximately 12 noon. I knew that this was too early for check-in so I left my bag in their luggage area and went around the city to return to reception at 2pm for my room. They told me check in is from 2pm.

At 2:10 I got to the reception desk and was told that there weren't any rooms available yet and that I would have to wait about half an hour. So I sat in reception reading and when the half hour had expired I approached the desk again and was told that there still weren't any rooms available. I was told that they were fully booked and that they were very busy (hardly an unexpected state for a city centre hotel I'd have thought!).

I was annoyed at this stage and asked how much longer I would be and the reply was "I don't know maybe half an hour. We're very busy". So I complained and was offered a free cup of coffee.

As I drank my coffee I noticed one person walk into the hotel with their bag and proceed to the elevator with a room key. So I approached the desk again and asked why that person who had just arrived had checked in while I was waiting for over an hour! The receptionist told me it depended on what type of room was booked and that I would just have to wait. She again stressed that they were really busy and my room would be ready later. It was now 3:20.

Then my colleague arrived and tried to check-in. She was told she would have to wait a few minutes for a room. After a few minutes in reception (watching more people check-in) I approached the desk and asked if we could get our rooms. And that is when I got the biggest insult. I was told that my colleague's room was ready but mine wasn't.

I was irate! I told the receptionist that I wanted to see their work plan showing where my room is on the list and exactly how much longer I was going to have to wait. I asked for the exact time. All of a sudden a room was free and 5 minutes later I walked into room 108. The time: 3:40pm.

At all times during this check-in ordeal I found the staff at reception unfriendly and disparaging. I generally like hotel staff to be friendly and functional but the ones in this hotel didn't perform in either of these criteria.

I took it personally that all the other residents of this hotel seemed to be more valuable than I was. It was insulting and devalued my investment in their service. If I had booked this hotel myself without going through my company's procedures I would be demanding a refund.

My room fee for this stay was way over the odds. We did a company booking through the recommended conference links. This came to over €500 for a single room for the 3 nights. This could have been secured on any of the booking websites for less than half. So I got the shabby treatment and paid over the odds.

If you are planning to stay at this hotel you will probably be satisfied enough with it - once you get the room. But I am sure all the other hotels in the area would have provided a superior service for me.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business