“awful experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stockholm
Gustav Af Klint Hotel/Hostel
London, United Kingdom
“awful experience”
Reviewed 29 August 2011

The boat is divided into two parts, one is a hotel and another one is youth hostel. I haven't seen youth hostel rooms and cannot comment on their cleaniness and comfort. However, my experience of spending two nights in dormitory was incredible. It would not be an exacerbation if I say that it has been the worst experience of my life. The hostel smells so badly you cannot even imagine. I knew it is a hostel and didn't expected much but what I saw after my arrival was something "special". The smell hits your nose after you enter the ship. I haven't slept till 4 a.m. as it was smelly, dusty and finally very hot in the morning. There is no air conditioning there and you cannot open the windows. The bathroom has only 3 showers and if you wake up late (after 8 a.m.) and come downstairs you have to queue and wait for sometimes 15 mins before you get there. It was less crowded in the evenings but so dirty that you didn't really want to use the toilet facilities.
The only positive thing about this hostel/hotel is its location. The view from a bar is amazing, expecially during the sunny day. The walk to Gamla stan is about 10-15 mins and it's only two stops away from the central station. I didn't use travel card as you can walk everywhere.
Would I recommend this hostel. Yes, if you're only interested in a central location. No, if you look for a place to relax in after a long pleasant day in Stockholm

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Liliya I

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Hereford
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I stayed one night here, on 26/7, following staying at a friends then awaiting my girlfriends arrival the next day, so inbetween I wanted a cheap bed in a good location - and that is what I got!

The rate was 215 SK or £21.50 for a shared 4 berth room, 60 SK or £6 for bed lining, and a 100 SK or £10 refundable deposit. I was allotted a room and off I went - it was a shock, both the state and the smell! It seemed 4 were already living it up in there so returned to the reception, and with no hesitation gave me another room. I have to say the staff were great, friendly, accommodating, and helpful.

My room had a porthole window with a view towards Skeppsholmen, and had 2 bunk beds, table, and lockers. And, until 10.30pm no one but me! Inbetween check in and getting a room mate I had wondered, explored and came back to my room a few times. the chap who became my roommate had been kicked out by his girlfriend!

The location, on the water - obviously - off Stadsgardsleden, near Slussen and in the shadow of Katarinahissen, a few minutes from Gamla Stan and the Djurgarden ferry allows easy access to Stockholm's attractions and fun. The street vendor selling Herring, and the frankfurter kiosk were close at hand, and the hostel had a bar onboard also, where I had a beer with a stunning sunset view, at 68 SK or £6.80

I had never hostel before and enjoyed my one night of it - was lovely being gently rocked to sleep by the water and staying right in the heart of Stockholm. The toilet/ shower room was clean - this was a worry I had given my lack of hostelling experience, and slight cleanliness 'thing' but was impressed and felt comfortable.

I kept our window open and have to say it was noisey late and then again early as the city woke up and the ferrys and things got going again - it did nt bother me as I wanted the cool air - two chaps in a small room can get smelly in a hurry lol and the noise of this city at the end/ start of the day was an experience in its own right imho

I think this hostel would be great for solo or family travellers - children would love atleast one night staying on this boat I would think, and a family of 4 in one of the rooms I had would have a pleasant stay

I have to say I was lucky having a 4 person room with only one other person in it - the room I was changed from would have been, for me, unbearable!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Carl_b77
München
Reviewed 11 August 2007

Ok, due to the fact, that they are close to a supermarket and that the hostel is a boat, I'm not able to sign up more advantiges of this hostel. We had proplems with the ordering, although we booked our room two month before our trip and had withal to change our reserved room. Furthermore, the cabins are really too small and narrow (mainly for this price) and the toilets are defenitively not clean!
I'm sorry to have this info, but it was our experience...

If you are searching an good hostel, go to --- - secret hint!!

Have a nice stay in Stockholm!

• Liked — Near to the supermarket...
  • Disliked — personal, prices and cabins
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank herculearn

Travellers are raving about these Stockholm hotels

New York
Reviewed 31 December 2006

Convenient, cheap, clean, and fun. Near Slussen subway, McDonald's, a huge supermarket, delicious herring stand, reindeer sandwich truck, and many buses. Beautiful views from everywhere on the boat. Nice staff who let me eat my own food at a waterside table at night, a great way to wind down. Steps from Old Town and cool Soder. Good breakfast with caviar from a tube, decent coffee, and toast. Waves will rock you to sleep like a baby.

• Liked — Location, big supermarket and subway.
  • Disliked — Big street in front and skeevy metal steps from subway.
  • Tips/Secrets — Share your bathroom!
  • Stayed December 2006
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank KillerRabbit
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 January 2006

The location of this hostel is just fine, very central, Between the Old Town island and Södermalm.

I stayed here for 2 nights with my friends in a 4 bed room in the hostel part. The room was ok, just enough place for the beds and 2 small closets for bags and coats. The showers were in the corridor, very basic, but with nothing wrong and with good warm water.

Breakfast can be bought for 50SEK and had all the basics. I think this is worth to buy because you would probably spend more eating out, even if buying stuff at a supermarket.

The only minus is that it didn’t smell really great in the room (nothing unbearable) and you could see its not that kilts mattresses and that stuff are clean every day or so. Anyway have to bring your own sheets or hire at the reception.

There’s also a bar in were you can seat and drink beer while watching the Nobel dinner as we did. In summer the place must be really nice because you can be at the open-air deck just above and even have breakfast there.

This was the cheapest 4-bed room I could find in Stockholm and having that in mind it was definitely worth it!

• Stayed December 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 July 2005

I stayed at the Gustaf af Klint in late June 2005. I was in the hotel section which gave me a small room with a sink and a rather large TV. The toilet and shower were just a few feet down the hall. I also got breakfast as part of the deal. Breakfast consists of cereal,yogurt,coffee,tea,juice,milk,bread,cheese,cold cuts,and hard boiled eggs. You can eat as much as you like but can't take any back to your room which you wouldn't want to do because the view was so beautiful from the breakfast room.
The location is a short walk to the Old Town and there is a metro station just across the street if need but you probably won't. The down sides to this hotel are that it is a boat and if you don't have your sea legs then you will bounce around a little and that the top deck is a restaurant and you will hear people walking if you are back before 19,00. Also because of the restaurant you have to keep your door locked whenever it is open for there are at times people walking around.
All and all for $70 a night you get alot. A friend of mine stayed in the hostel side for a night for $30. But she brought her own sheets and didn't buy the breakfast. This is a good hotel for those on a strict budget, travelling alone or who want something a bit different.
My first choice would be the Chapman if you can get in it but if not then the Klint is a very good second choice.

• Stayed June 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Exeter UK
Reviewed 23 April 2005

This is a boat, moored very near to the Gamla Stan (old town), which can be viewed from your porthole. The cabins are basic, and you have to share the bathroom, but the position, price, and views make up for this. We had a triple cabin (for 2 of us), but budget travellers can book into the dormitories. Breakfast, which is fine, is optional. We will definitely use it again.

3 Thank brassm0nkeys