Gustav Af Klint Hotel/Hostel
US$341
Hotels.com
US$334
  • Restaurant
Hotel C Stockholm(Stockholm)(Great Value!)
US$316
US$290
US$259
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I was shocked by the prices of hotels in Stockholm, so I booked the cheapest I could find (which was still 30 euro's p.p., so 60 per twin room... AND they charge you separately for the sheets: 6 euro's p.p. and breakfast: about 8 euro's. So you finally pay 88 as a couple... we could have gone to the Marriott for 10 bucks more). Wrong decision!

The place looks worn out, filthy and old. I'm wondering when it was last renovated? The woman checking us in was cold and reserved... but you will have to get used to that in Stockholm, the people are as their climate. My boyfriend and I had to sleep in BUNK BEDS, so far for the romantic weekend. I was in the highest, I had to jump in there as there were no stairs, only a handle on the ceiling (I am not a bodybuilder though). The bed was so close to the ceiling that I banged my head about 3 times to it, every time I woke up (and lost consciousness again). The room is TINY, you could not change clothes with 2 people at the same time. Tiny window, hardly any light... but well, I understand that as it's a boat after all. Oh, and make sure you take a shower quickly, because the light will turn off half-way and you have to run out naked to switch it on again.

Things that I did like: breakfast was alright, although you have to pay for it separately. Location is perfect.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dutch_delight013
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I stayed at the Gustav in May this year. Its a moored boat in Sodermalm, close to Gamla Stan which is the the old city. Its easy to access from the tunnelbana (metro) - about a 5 minute walk down to the quayside. I stayed in the hotel part of the boat - I had my own room with a washbasin and a small table. The room was quite basic, and could do with a bit of modernisation. I was expecting an en-suite bathroom but unfortunately it was a shared bathroom out in the corridor. As a woman travelling alone, I tend to prefer en-suite bathrooms and the booking didn't make this very clear. That said, the shower was good, and it was clean. I met some other residents who were staying in the dormitory and they complained about a terrible night sleep - in particular the beds being too short! Breakfast was OK - fairly standard youth hostel North European fare of sliced cold meats, cheese and bread, tea, coffee and muesli. The big plus was free Wifi which was handy and enabled me to call home for free using Skype. The view from the boat and its central location is excellent - and for that reason its a good place to stay. I paid about £60 a night for the room - a bit overpriced given the basic room and shared bathroom. I've stayed in other places for the same price and had better quality accommodation. On a further note, there is a Co-Op supermarket in the bus station opposite and there is a great hot dog stand that appears outside the Gustav some evenings. If you're into the gay scene, the boat next door is a gay nightclub.

Room Tip: Choose a room, not the dormitory if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2011

The boat is divided into two parts, one is a hotel and another one is youth hostel. I haven't seen youth hostel rooms and cannot comment on their cleaniness and comfort. However, my experience of spending two nights in dormitory was incredible. It would not be an exacerbation if I say that it has been the worst experience of my life. The hostel smells so badly you cannot even imagine. I knew it is a hostel and didn't expected much but what I saw after my arrival was something "special". The smell hits your nose after you enter the ship. I haven't slept till 4 a.m. as it was smelly, dusty and finally very hot in the morning. There is no air conditioning there and you cannot open the windows. The bathroom has only 3 showers and if you wake up late (after 8 a.m.) and come downstairs you have to queue and wait for sometimes 15 mins before you get there. It was less crowded in the evenings but so dirty that you didn't really want to use the toilet facilities.
The only positive thing about this hostel/hotel is its location. The view from a bar is amazing, expecially during the sunny day. The walk to Gamla stan is about 10-15 mins and it's only two stops away from the central station. I didn't use travel card as you can walk everywhere.
Would I recommend this hostel. Yes, if you're only interested in a central location. No, if you look for a place to relax in after a long pleasant day in Stockholm

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Liliya I
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I stayed one night here, on 26/7, following staying at a friends then awaiting my girlfriends arrival the next day, so inbetween I wanted a cheap bed in a good location - and that is what I got!

The rate was 215 SK or £21.50 for a shared 4 berth room, 60 SK or £6 for bed lining, and a 100 SK or £10 refundable deposit. I was allotted a room and off I went - it was a shock, both the state and the smell! It seemed 4 were already living it up in there so returned to the reception, and with no hesitation gave me another room. I have to say the staff were great, friendly, accommodating, and helpful.

My room had a porthole window with a view towards Skeppsholmen, and had 2 bunk beds, table, and lockers. And, until 10.30pm no one but me! Inbetween check in and getting a room mate I had wondered, explored and came back to my room a few times. the chap who became my roommate had been kicked out by his girlfriend!

The location, on the water - obviously - off Stadsgardsleden, near Slussen and in the shadow of Katarinahissen, a few minutes from Gamla Stan and the Djurgarden ferry allows easy access to Stockholm's attractions and fun. The street vendor selling Herring, and the frankfurter kiosk were close at hand, and the hostel had a bar onboard also, where I had a beer with a stunning sunset view, at 68 SK or £6.80

I had never hostel before and enjoyed my one night of it - was lovely being gently rocked to sleep by the water and staying right in the heart of Stockholm. The toilet/ shower room was clean - this was a worry I had given my lack of hostelling experience, and slight cleanliness 'thing' but was impressed and felt comfortable.

I kept our window open and have to say it was noisey late and then again early as the city woke up and the ferrys and things got going again - it did nt bother me as I wanted the cool air - two chaps in a small room can get smelly in a hurry lol and the noise of this city at the end/ start of the day was an experience in its own right imho

I think this hostel would be great for solo or family travellers - children would love atleast one night staying on this boat I would think, and a family of 4 in one of the rooms I had would have a pleasant stay

I have to say I was lucky having a 4 person room with only one other person in it - the room I was changed from would have been, for me, unbearable!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Carl_b77
Reviewed 11 August 2007

Ok, due to the fact, that they are close to a supermarket and that the hostel is a boat, I'm not able to sign up more advantiges of this hostel. We had proplems with the ordering, although we booked our room two month before our trip and had withal to change our reserved room. Furthermore, the cabins are really too small and narrow (mainly for this price) and the toilets are defenitively not clean!
I'm sorry to have this info, but it was our experience...

If you are searching an good hostel, go to --- - secret hint!!

Have a nice stay in Stockholm!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple