“Very Nice and Cheap”

Gustav Af Klint Hotel/Hostel
Reviewed 14 December 2012

We stayed here at the Hostel Part. We had a room for two persons with "seaview". The room was small but also cheap. It had everything we needed. The beds are quite big.
The showers and toilets, which are shared by all guests were clean.
We had breakfast on the boat, there was a lot we could choose and also typical swedish food.
The location is just great! Its located next to the station "slussen". Its possible to walk into the old town (Gamla Stan) and with the Djurgardfärjan you can drive over to Skeppsholmen,where its actually very nice and where some museums are.
We loved our stay there but it also should be mentioned that sometimes,when big ships turn in the haven there are whaves and the ship moves on it (of course it does, but for example I felt like throuwing up sometimes).

Room Tip: Choose a room with seaview
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 November 2012

Cheap, a little scruffy but fun and what a location. Easy and pleasant walk to Gamla Stan or Sodermalm's cool bars.

A decent priced pint at the bar looking over the water to Gamla Stan was particularly enjoyable.

Only downside was the lack of wifi access in the cabins, in the bar it was great.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Gustav Af Klint was the cheapest hotel (even cheaper than hostels) that I could find months in advance to our trip to Stockholm.

Myself and a friend stayed in the 'hotel' end for two nights, in a twin cabin (remember, it is a moored boat - not a purpose built hotel) which had a bunk bed, large wardrobe, a desk/bench type thing and a sink with mirror. There were two large shower cubicles and two separate WCs down the hall, which were always clean whenever we used them.

The room was clean on arrival, as was the linen we rented.

The beds were comfortable, although the top bunk (which I slept on) was quite high, and I only had a little step stool to get up there, but as I previously said, this is a boat, not a purpose built hotel.

We paid for the breakfast on both days as it was a cheaper option in the very expensive city. There was a good variety of breads, meats, cheese, cereal, tea and coffee etc. which was replenished often.

The location is perfect for sightseeing, just metres away from the old town and conveniently located near the train station. It's also pretty cool to say you stayed on a boat too!

Staff were quite aloof but professional and efficient.

The wi-fi was free and quick but we could only access it from the dining area.

The boat also has a bar on the deck which has a cheap (for Stockholm) happy hour; wine or beer for 35 kr (rather than 55 kr - roughly £5.50).

All in all, the price was very reasonable and the stay was comfortable. If I were to visit Stockholm again I would stay there, although compared to places I've stayed on the same budget elsewhere in the world are much much better!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank LinguoGirl
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I was shocked by the prices of hotels in Stockholm, so I booked the cheapest I could find (which was still 30 euro's p.p., so 60 per twin room... AND they charge you separately for the sheets: 6 euro's p.p. and breakfast: about 8 euro's. So you finally pay 88 as a couple... we could have gone to the Marriott for 10 bucks more). Wrong decision!

The place looks worn out, filthy and old. I'm wondering when it was last renovated? The woman checking us in was cold and reserved... but you will have to get used to that in Stockholm, the people are as their climate. My boyfriend and I had to sleep in BUNK BEDS, so far for the romantic weekend. I was in the highest, I had to jump in there as there were no stairs, only a handle on the ceiling (I am not a bodybuilder though). The bed was so close to the ceiling that I banged my head about 3 times to it, every time I woke up (and lost consciousness again). The room is TINY, you could not change clothes with 2 people at the same time. Tiny window, hardly any light... but well, I understand that as it's a boat after all. Oh, and make sure you take a shower quickly, because the light will turn off half-way and you have to run out naked to switch it on again.

Things that I did like: breakfast was alright, although you have to pay for it separately. Location is perfect.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dutch_delight013
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I stayed at the Gustav in May this year. Its a moored boat in Sodermalm, close to Gamla Stan which is the the old city. Its easy to access from the tunnelbana (metro) - about a 5 minute walk down to the quayside. I stayed in the hotel part of the boat - I had my own room with a washbasin and a small table. The room was quite basic, and could do with a bit of modernisation. I was expecting an en-suite bathroom but unfortunately it was a shared bathroom out in the corridor. As a woman travelling alone, I tend to prefer en-suite bathrooms and the booking didn't make this very clear. That said, the shower was good, and it was clean. I met some other residents who were staying in the dormitory and they complained about a terrible night sleep - in particular the beds being too short! Breakfast was OK - fairly standard youth hostel North European fare of sliced cold meats, cheese and bread, tea, coffee and muesli. The big plus was free Wifi which was handy and enabled me to call home for free using Skype. The view from the boat and its central location is excellent - and for that reason its a good place to stay. I paid about £60 a night for the room - a bit overpriced given the basic room and shared bathroom. I've stayed in other places for the same price and had better quality accommodation. On a further note, there is a Co-Op supermarket in the bus station opposite and there is a great hot dog stand that appears outside the Gustav some evenings. If you're into the gay scene, the boat next door is a gay nightclub.

Room Tip: Choose a room, not the dormitory if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 August 2011

The boat is divided into two parts, one is a hotel and another one is youth hostel. I haven't seen youth hostel rooms and cannot comment on their cleaniness and comfort. However, my experience of spending two nights in dormitory was incredible. It would not be an exacerbation if I say that it has been the worst experience of my life. The hostel smells so badly you cannot even imagine. I knew it is a hostel and didn't expected much but what I saw after my arrival was something "special". The smell hits your nose after you enter the ship. I haven't slept till 4 a.m. as it was smelly, dusty and finally very hot in the morning. There is no air conditioning there and you cannot open the windows. The bathroom has only 3 showers and if you wake up late (after 8 a.m.) and come downstairs you have to queue and wait for sometimes 15 mins before you get there. It was less crowded in the evenings but so dirty that you didn't really want to use the toilet facilities.
The only positive thing about this hostel/hotel is its location. The view from a bar is amazing, expecially during the sunny day. The walk to Gamla stan is about 10-15 mins and it's only two stops away from the central station. I didn't use travel card as you can walk everywhere.
Would I recommend this hostel. Yes, if you're only interested in a central location. No, if you look for a place to relax in after a long pleasant day in Stockholm

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Liliya I
Reviewed 4 August 2011

I stayed one night here, on 26/7, following staying at a friends then awaiting my girlfriends arrival the next day, so inbetween I wanted a cheap bed in a good location - and that is what I got!

The rate was 215 SK or £21.50 for a shared 4 berth room, 60 SK or £6 for bed lining, and a 100 SK or £10 refundable deposit. I was allotted a room and off I went - it was a shock, both the state and the smell! It seemed 4 were already living it up in there so returned to the reception, and with no hesitation gave me another room. I have to say the staff were great, friendly, accommodating, and helpful.

My room had a porthole window with a view towards Skeppsholmen, and had 2 bunk beds, table, and lockers. And, until 10.30pm no one but me! Inbetween check in and getting a room mate I had wondered, explored and came back to my room a few times. the chap who became my roommate had been kicked out by his girlfriend!

The location, on the water - obviously - off Stadsgardsleden, near Slussen and in the shadow of Katarinahissen, a few minutes from Gamla Stan and the Djurgarden ferry allows easy access to Stockholm's attractions and fun. The street vendor selling Herring, and the frankfurter kiosk were close at hand, and the hostel had a bar onboard also, where I had a beer with a stunning sunset view, at 68 SK or £6.80

I had never hostel before and enjoyed my one night of it - was lovely being gently rocked to sleep by the water and staying right in the heart of Stockholm. The toilet/ shower room was clean - this was a worry I had given my lack of hostelling experience, and slight cleanliness 'thing' but was impressed and felt comfortable.

I kept our window open and have to say it was noisey late and then again early as the city woke up and the ferrys and things got going again - it did nt bother me as I wanted the cool air - two chaps in a small room can get smelly in a hurry lol and the noise of this city at the end/ start of the day was an experience in its own right imho

I think this hostel would be great for solo or family travellers - children would love atleast one night staying on this boat I would think, and a family of 4 in one of the rooms I had would have a pleasant stay

I have to say I was lucky having a 4 person room with only one other person in it - the room I was changed from would have been, for me, unbearable!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo