“Freezing!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stockholm
Gustav Af Klint Hotel/Hostel
Reviewed 29 March 2013

I'm not sure if "you get what you pay for" applies here, but I still think we deserved better heating, especially if temperatures outside reached -15 C. It was so cold in the room that ice formed INSIDE the window.

This was a very basic hostel. The only thing I liked here was the location. It was just a few minutes walk away from the nearest subway station, which is part of the central line.

Even though some of the receptionists were friendly and helpful, it was not enough to make us feel warm.

Room Tip: You can ask the receptionist to show you a few rooms before choosing one.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stephenco

Reviewed 25 March 2013

The room heating did not work, and the blanket provided by the hotel was not sufficient. Not all of the sinks had running hot water. So it was a freezing existence.

The hotel reception specially during check-in time (first half of the day) seemed very cold and non-cooperative. First, offered room(s) with bad conditions. In order to appear convincing, they said, 'hotel is fully booked'. Then, they offered another room in the evening. So, if you are not happy with your room, then fight with the receipt to get a good one. Usually the people who sit at the reception during the evening seemed more considerate and understandable.

It would be better to check the room(s) before making the payment. The middle section of the boat (all floors) seemed uncomfortable for various reasons such as, smell of the food (close to kitchen), noisy (close to stair cases), noise from water supply and utility lines, toilet smell etc.

The rooms seemed very small and claustrophobic. If you are sharing a room with 3 other people then you don't have any space for movement. Specially in the morning, you may have to wait in bed until someone leaves the room. So, if you are in a rush in the morning (for living in a shared room) then better wake up early.

Although the hotel is close (12/15 mins walk) to the old town, but the location is not very nice. For example, at one side of the hotel, there are junctions of highways blocking the city view and this is a permanent feature. On the other side, there is a lake and city view which you may not enjoy from your room because of the tiny (like a pin-hole camera) window.

You can enjoy that view outside of the ship but there is no lake side activity anywhere near the hotel (may be it is different during the summer).

The hotel reception area has big windows which gives a very good view of the lake and city and creates a good first impression. But don't get carried away by the look of the reception.

There is no guest kitchen which might affect your food expenses. For example, you may have to wait long to get hot water from the hotel reception.

Room Tip: The review says it all....
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2012

We stayed here at the Hostel Part. We had a room for two persons with "seaview". The room was small but also cheap. It had everything we needed. The beds are quite big.
The showers and toilets, which are shared by all guests were clean.
We had breakfast on the boat, there was a lot we could choose and also typical swedish food.
The location is just great! Its located next to the station "slussen". Its possible to walk into the old town (Gamla Stan) and with the Djurgardfärjan you can drive over to Skeppsholmen,where its actually very nice and where some museums are.
We loved our stay there but it also should be mentioned that sometimes,when big ships turn in the haven there are whaves and the ship moves on it (of course it does, but for example I felt like throuwing up sometimes).

Room Tip: Choose a room with seaview
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Cheap, a little scruffy but fun and what a location. Easy and pleasant walk to Gamla Stan or Sodermalm's cool bars.

A decent priced pint at the bar looking over the water to Gamla Stan was particularly enjoyable.

Only downside was the lack of wifi access in the cabins, in the bar it was great.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Gustav Af Klint was the cheapest hotel (even cheaper than hostels) that I could find months in advance to our trip to Stockholm.

Myself and a friend stayed in the 'hotel' end for two nights, in a twin cabin (remember, it is a moored boat - not a purpose built hotel) which had a bunk bed, large wardrobe, a desk/bench type thing and a sink with mirror. There were two large shower cubicles and two separate WCs down the hall, which were always clean whenever we used them.

The room was clean on arrival, as was the linen we rented.

The beds were comfortable, although the top bunk (which I slept on) was quite high, and I only had a little step stool to get up there, but as I previously said, this is a boat, not a purpose built hotel.

We paid for the breakfast on both days as it was a cheaper option in the very expensive city. There was a good variety of breads, meats, cheese, cereal, tea and coffee etc. which was replenished often.

The location is perfect for sightseeing, just metres away from the old town and conveniently located near the train station. It's also pretty cool to say you stayed on a boat too!

Staff were quite aloof but professional and efficient.

The wi-fi was free and quick but we could only access it from the dining area.

The boat also has a bar on the deck which has a cheap (for Stockholm) happy hour; wine or beer for 35 kr (rather than 55 kr - roughly £5.50).

All in all, the price was very reasonable and the stay was comfortable. If I were to visit Stockholm again I would stay there, although compared to places I've stayed on the same budget elsewhere in the world are much much better!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank LinguoGirl
Reviewed 17 April 2012

I was shocked by the prices of hotels in Stockholm, so I booked the cheapest I could find (which was still 30 euro's p.p., so 60 per twin room... AND they charge you separately for the sheets: 6 euro's p.p. and breakfast: about 8 euro's. So you finally pay 88 as a couple... we could have gone to the Marriott for 10 bucks more). Wrong decision!

The place looks worn out, filthy and old. I'm wondering when it was last renovated? The woman checking us in was cold and reserved... but you will have to get used to that in Stockholm, the people are as their climate. My boyfriend and I had to sleep in BUNK BEDS, so far for the romantic weekend. I was in the highest, I had to jump in there as there were no stairs, only a handle on the ceiling (I am not a bodybuilder though). The bed was so close to the ceiling that I banged my head about 3 times to it, every time I woke up (and lost consciousness again). The room is TINY, you could not change clothes with 2 people at the same time. Tiny window, hardly any light... but well, I understand that as it's a boat after all. Oh, and make sure you take a shower quickly, because the light will turn off half-way and you have to run out naked to switch it on again.

Things that I did like: breakfast was alright, although you have to pay for it separately. Location is perfect.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dutch_delight013
Reviewed 19 November 2011

I stayed at the Gustav in May this year. Its a moored boat in Sodermalm, close to Gamla Stan which is the the old city. Its easy to access from the tunnelbana (metro) - about a 5 minute walk down to the quayside. I stayed in the hotel part of the boat - I had my own room with a washbasin and a small table. The room was quite basic, and could do with a bit of modernisation. I was expecting an en-suite bathroom but unfortunately it was a shared bathroom out in the corridor. As a woman travelling alone, I tend to prefer en-suite bathrooms and the booking didn't make this very clear. That said, the shower was good, and it was clean. I met some other residents who were staying in the dormitory and they complained about a terrible night sleep - in particular the beds being too short! Breakfast was OK - fairly standard youth hostel North European fare of sliced cold meats, cheese and bread, tea, coffee and muesli. The big plus was free Wifi which was handy and enabled me to call home for free using Skype. The view from the boat and its central location is excellent - and for that reason its a good place to stay. I paid about £60 a night for the room - a bit overpriced given the basic room and shared bathroom. I've stayed in other places for the same price and had better quality accommodation. On a further note, there is a Co-Op supermarket in the bus station opposite and there is a great hot dog stand that appears outside the Gustav some evenings. If you're into the gay scene, the boat next door is a gay nightclub.

Room Tip: Choose a room, not the dormitory if you can afford it.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo