“Anno 1647. Stay somewhere else.”
Review of Anno 1647

Anno 1647
Ranked #90 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Oslo, Norway
“Anno 1647. Stay somewhere else.”
Reviewed 9 July 2011

This "hotel" is listed at both Hotels.com and Hotwire.com as a 3-star hotel. But be aware; read ALL of the booking documents because in smaller lettering further down on the page does is say that the room you have just booked share bathroom with the other rooms on the corridor.

If you like me refuses to accept to share the two small toilets and two shower stalls with the other eight or so rooms on the floor, you have to pay extra to be allowed to “upgrade” to the "hotel" part of Hotell Anno 1647. I was refused a refund because I had booked through Hotels.com. For me this meant that the two nights I had booked ended up being as expensive as if I had booked at one of the top 4-star hotel in Stockholm that also sell their rooms through the same hotel finders. The room I then got was tiny at around 8 square metres and the “bathroom” so small that I had to squeeze in behind the bathroom sink in order to sit down on the toilet.

The rooms, especially in the hostel part of the Hotell Anno 1647, came across as unclean. The painted eighties glass fibre wallpaper was dirty. In the tiny “hotel” room I was upgraded to the furniture were marked by cigarette burns.

I cannot see this “hotel” as anything but a scam. Stay away and book somewhere else.

On checking out did the receptionist take a carbon print of my credit card and then forgot to return it to me, something that I did not discover before I tried to pay an expensive dinner on a coastal steamer where I was subsequently threatened with the police because I could not find my card and could only offer to pay with Norwegian Kroner for the meal, something that was brusquely refused. An extremely unpleasant and unnecessary situation, and quite typical of the lack of care and potential dishonesty that this "hotel" represent.

Room Tip: read all of the booking documents, so that you are aware of what you have bought.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 15 June 2011

As a frequent business traveller to Stockholm, staying at this hotel was indeed a great disappointment. 1.950 SEK/night for a small single room felt like a rip off. No elevator, no mini bar, no air-condition with 30 degrees Celsius it felt like a bad joke. When I asked for someone to help out with my luggage they offered to watch it while I had to make two trips to the third floor. Sure, the building is historic, but the hotel is in desperate need of an upgrade. Sorry, but this was my first and guranteed last stay here.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Stockholm hotels

Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2011

My teenaged son and I loved staying here for two nights. We were delighted with the quality and variety at breakfast. The hotel staff were professional and efficient.
Our room, which had a single bed plus a murphy bed, was admittedly small, yet was nonetheless clean, cozy and comfortable.
If you visit this hotel, you should embrace its individuality and history. We enjoyed its winding stone stairwells, inner courtyard, and other quirks.
Isn't that what you want if you choose a hotel that is 300 years old? Try it!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Reykjavík
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Location and price were my prime concerns. I was here for a conference that was held at the Hilton Slussen, just a stones throw away.
The staff was quite attentive and nice, they remembered my room number each time though I just dashed out in the morning and came back in the late evening.
Breakfast is in a nice and bright room on the ground floor towards the back of the hotel, facing a small pedestrian street adjacent to the main entrance to Slussen metro station. Quite a nice array of bread, cheese, yoghurts and juice. Good coffee and a selection of todays papers.
Two good amenities: an online computer in the lobby for some quick surfing or emailing and shoe shining machines.
My room was a very basic one, with the toilet and shower out in the hallway. That posed no problems as such. If that´s something you know beforehand it´s not something to complain about I guess. I could shower in the morning without queuing except for once when I waited a couple of minutes. The rooms do have sinks though and I thought I saw a kettle.
I must compliment the bed. Not at all too soft so as to make your back hurt or hard or lumpy. Linens all very basic, nothing wrong with them but not very luxurious. The towels maybe a tad skimpy. The room was clean but the hallways need a bit of freshening up with new carpets and some paint.
Since it was snowy all outside noises were muffled. But I imagine it could be noisy seeing as it is a busy area. The walls are very thin and noises from adjacent rooms can be heard. It didn´t bother me though, as a parent of toddlers this was as quiet as it gets!
All in all its no frills (except for breakfast!) and you get your moneys worth I suppose.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 17 December 2010

Everything you could want in a Stockholm hotel. We went for the nicer room on the 1st floor, Private part of the hotel. The decor was hip-modern, in that lovely minimalist Scandinavian way (minimal, however not marginal or lacking). The only thing that made me mark the "value" button lower than the rest was the quality of the internet... I had a hard time even pre-checking into my flight ( I lost my upgrade window because of its inability to function properly).. it was laborious and often didn't work at all, which I found surprising since Swedes are known, and truly are efficient in everything they do .. maybe it was a fluke, but don't plan on needing even basic high speed internet.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JoshuaSims
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 August 2010

I don't even know where to start to describe the awful experience we had at this hotel. Based on reviews we read, we were really looking forward to our stay. Upon arrival, we discovered that the double room we had booked (which cost around 1250SEK/night) was tiny and with two separate beds - one a ridiculously uncomfortable Murphy bed - and a cramped bathroom.

When I asked the woman at desk to change rooms, she treated me quite rudely. From her point of view, the small print on the booking confirmation that said 'the room may contain a double bed or two single beds' was a sufficient caveat emptor. In the end, they did change our room on the second day - though after some unpleasantness.

The following day when I asked for advice for a restaurant, the guy at desk gave me a name of some chain restaurant in the most touristy part of town. When I asked, 'Is this somewhere you would go yourself?' he said no. When I asked for a recommendation in the neighborhood of the hotel, he just said, 'Just walk out and there are restaurants on either side' and wouldn't recommend anything when pressed. It was obvious this man could care less whether or not we had a good experience.

I had been traveling in Sweden before coming to Stockholm and was really shocked by how rudely I was treated upon arrival here.

My other complaints:
-Bathrooms have a faint smell of sewage
-Internet costs 99SEK per day - and even then you can only connect one computer at a time
-Breakfast was just ok. Nothing like the traditional Swedish breakfast I was so looking forward to
-hotel staff are unfriendly and unhelpful, some even hostile.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mai424
Finland
Reviewed 10 August 2010

I've been in Stockholm countless times, but this time found a hotel that managed to surprise me positively after all these years and visits (we're from Finland, so a trip to Stockholm is like a trip to our own city centre). The location was superb, just a few steps from the fun "Götgatsbacken" - trendy & fun street of good shopping and fun people watching. Excellent breakfast for this price (we had the family room), very clean and excellent service. The only negative thing was very poor sound isolation, but we knew this in advance (thanks to Tripadvisor), so sleeping with earplugs gave us excellent sleep in great quality beds.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family