“Homely hotel at a good location”
Review of Anno 1647

Anno 1647
Ranked #90 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 21 July 2008

I stayed here alone for two nights due to a concert.

Finding it is easy if you know where to look. The hotel is basically the only building that occupies the alley where its located and that alley is very narrow when compared to the other alleys going on to Götgatan and not on many maps. Look for an ATM on the east side of Götgatans first ascent from Slussen and you will find the hotel.

Once inside I got a friendly greeting in the lobby and I got a room even thou I was arriving earlier than expected. All staffmembers that I met during my stay was friendly and helpful as I would expect in this business but is not always the case,

I had booked a single room that I noticed also could function as a twin with a pulldown bed (see picture). I guess the room would suffice as a twin for a few days but it would be very tight. As a single thou it was just fine.

The room had a number of hooks on the wall for coats, a small wardrobe, chair, bed and tv. It also had a hairdryer on the door to the bathroom. It was clean with nice linen in the bed and a little shelf where you could put your glasses over your bed. Cleaning was done efficiently while I was there.

The bathroom was cramp with toilet and shower facing each other. It was clean thou, cleaner than I expected in an old building like this. Wallmounted shower/lotion was offered but no small containers of any kind which I found odd but it didnt disturbed me, I bring my own stuff.

The TV had five Swedish channels and CNN for free plus two paychannels whos content I didnt care to find out (I think it was movies in general). Wireless was available for a price but since I didnt bring a laptop I didnt try it out.

Breakfast was served in a modest but clean and nice breakfastarea at the bottom of the hotel. It had what could be expected, tea, coffee, bread, marmelade, milk, cerials etc, ie I didnt leave hungry but it wasnt spectacular.

Would I go back again? Sure, I had nothing against the hotel. However, in the same pricerange is the fourstar Hotel Lady Hamilton and its sister hotel the threestar Lord Nelson, both in the old town (see my reviews).

If your main reason for your stay is to explore the old town and the northlaying areas I would recommend those hotels, being closer and having even more atmosphere. Dont feel bad if you booked this hotel, its really cozy, and taste differs, I just happen to really like Lady Hamilton.

One last thing. If Youre planning to explore the Old Town and Royal Castle, make sure you have goot shoes. Walking on the stone that makes up the streets and floor of the Old Town and its buildings will hurt you alot more than walking on concrete and asfalt.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
4  Thank limbaugh

Reviewed 25 April 2008

We stayed in this hotel for three nights in December 06.
We had a room with shared bathrooms which were clean and always free it seemed like.
The room was disappointing because it did not give a very clean impression: wardrobes old and scratched and the curtain had a big whole!
It would definetly need some updating and with just a couple of adjustments it would at least look decent! The bed was terrific though and seemed to be new.
Location is great with a short walk to "Gamla Stan" the old town and to the metro/ buses.
The stay was definetly worth it in the end because of the wonderful breakfast buffet!
The breakfast lounge was nice and comfortable and the buffet had some nice creative options like vanilla or honey yoghourt for your cereals.
But on my next trip I have booked a room in Östermalm the posher side of Stockholm with closer walking distance to beautiful Djurgarden, Skansen, great shopping and nice terrace- cafés.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2008

I stayed in Room 63, one of 1647's 'economy' rooms. It was simple, with a soft, but springy mattress, tv, sink, chair, and window, very shallow armoire, and bathroom/shower down the hall. If I stood at the window, I could look right and see the water and Gamla Stan. In the hall outside the room was a bookshelf with a few books one could borrow (mostly in English, Swedish, and German). One could hear street noise outside pretty well, but I didn't find it disturbing. It might be in summer if one leaves the window open and is sensitive to that kind of thing. Also, the tv had 5 channels--4 Swedish channels and CNN. One can watch a small selection of movies for 85 kronor per day.

The staff were quite friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was fine--scrambled eggs, a choice of breads and juices, some cheese, bacon, coffee...your basic European hotel breakfast. They also provide a choice of newspapers (Swedish and the Intl. Herald-Tribune) at breakfast.

The hotel is centrally located--one can walk easily to most parts of Sodermalm, Gamla Stan, the museums on Skeppsholmen, etc. Or the metro is just a few steps from the hotel.

It's worth noting that the space given to the community toilets is quite small--they are smaller than the lavatories on your typical Airbus or Boeing jet. If one is significantly overweight, one might experience some challenges in using the bathroom.

Additionally, while the hotel provides frequent flier miles to a variety of programs, these are not provided for the economy rooms. Overall, a good experience.

• Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 25 October 2007

I spent 3 days at Anno 1647 on a business trip. The hotel is set within a very old building - hence 1647. As such it may not suit those with mobility needs or people with small children. However, the welcome is really warm and the staff were the most helpful I've come across.
The room was small but comfortable. The shared bathrooms are a bit of a drawback but I guess that's okay for a few days. Other reviewers have mentioned the breakfasts - they are really lovely. Lots of warm bread rolls, scrambled and boiled eggs, bacon and sausage. The usual cold meats and cheese, cearals and preserves. Well worth getting up that little bit earlier for!
My room looked out over 'Peter Myndes backe' - this was probably the best for a view but it can be a bit noisy at night with revellers passing to and fro. By the way, if you don't like the sound of a clarinet being played for hours on end - then keep your window shut! The rail station (and the clarinet player) is located nearby and shops and visitor attractions are also close.
I recommend a walk to the old area of Gamla Stan - a good way to spend a spare day.
Overall, a very welcoming hotel in a good location.

Stayed: October 2007
2  Thank ShropshireKeys
Reviewed 21 September 2007

I stayed here for 4 nights alone on a business trip.

Nice clean room with an old style interior. Very clean and nice bedroom and bathroom. The view from my room was towards the backyard so it was no great view. No air condition, but you could open the window and it was not noisy. The breakfast was great.

The hotel is located in a area with many nice cafe's and pubs, and it is not that high class are where everything is about to see and be seen. This area is more relaxed and and cool.

3 min walk to the subway. 5 min walk to the old city, and 20 min walk to city center.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank oslo_ken
Reviewed 7 September 2007

We stayed for just a few nights. Great location -- a quick walk to the Old Town. We chose a room with shared bathroom. The shared bathrooms were clean. The room itself was very simple but adequate. The best part was the breakfast. Wonderful fresh warm whole grain rolls, hard and soft boiled eggs, different cheeses, jams, meats, yogurts and that amazing butter! I took the nearby subway to the central station on my way out (very easy). It would have been a short walk, but I had a suitcase. There was some noise street-side from late night summer partiers.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 August 2007

The hotel enjoys an excellent location, handy for the attractions of Sodermalm & the old town which is about 10 minutes walk away.
I stayed in a single room with a shared bathroom for 3 nights at the beginning of July. My room was quite small but it was adequately furnished and it represented good value considering what I paid for it. One downside was that my room, which was located at the rear of the hotel facing onto a busy thoroughfare, could get quite noisy at night.
The hotel's public areas were nice and modern but both the bar and restaurant advertised on the website where I booked remained closed the whole weekend I was there. The breakfast was a bit limited in terms of variety but was good nonetheless. One thing I did find was that the staff were, without exception, some of the most helpful and friendly I have encountered anywhere. I would definately stay in this hotel again

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo