“neat place to sleep and eat breakfast”

Freys Hotel Lilla Radmannen
Ranked #35 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 11 October 2009

The advise we got from tripadvisor about this small hotel was "right on!" We wanted a quiet place to sleep off jet lag after a night of flying from San Francisco before embarking on a Scandanavian cruise. We preferred economy over luxury. We didn't reckon with a record-breaking heat wave that made sleeping in the small, sun-drenched room impossible for me, tho not for my husband who snoozed the day away. (They let us check in as soon as we arrived in the morning.)Seeking relief in the lobby I found a sympathetic clerk who suggested I try their roof garden. What a blessing! With shade, breeze, wicker lounges adequate for napping, this oasis of quiet and tranquility enabled me to recover my health and equanimity.

The public areas, the tiny room and bath are all immaculately clean and tastefully furnished. The breakfast was ample and delicious.the location was perfect for us, with many restaurants within easy walking distance. The staff were courteous and helpful.

All in all, it was just fine and a great bargin.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Freys Hotel Lilla Radmannen

Reviewed 23 September 2009

We only needed to spend a night in the hotel and breakfast. It was perfect for us. Very, very quiet location, but still centrally located, great service and helpful polite personnel. Very convenient bed in the room. Very good breakfast and free internet.
A.Z.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2009

This is a clean bright hotel. The rooms are comfortable with TV, tea/coffee, mini bar/fridge, iron/board & hairdryer. The bathroom was beautifully clean with large shower, nice toiletries & plenty of towels
The breakfast is good & staff keep things replenished very efficiently.
Drinks & bar snacks are available at reception.
The hotel is quite a walk from the main waterfront tourist area, but there are plenty of shops, bars, cafes & parks in the immediate area.
The hotel's website suggests taking the underground on arrival. I would suggest that unless you are really laden down with luggage that you just walk from the bus/train station as it is only about a 10 min walk & you do not then need to navigate up & down the subway stairs.
All in all a good choice with decent service & value for money.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank angwri
Reviewed 11 June 2009

For my first trip to Stockholm in May, I booked a room at Hotel Bakfickan through Booking.com for 3 nights. Stockholm hotels tend to be quite expensive, so Hotel Bakfickan was a great bargain. As such I wasn't expecting a lot, just somewhere central, clean, with a bathroom to stay in. This hotel more than fit my expectation.

Firstly the hotel is new, it is run by Hotel Lilla Radmannen right next door, which also runs Freys Hotel. Bakfickan is on the top two floors of the building with no reception, so the reception and breakfast room (which I didn't take) are in Hotel Lilla Radmannen. You are given a code for the front door and a code to the floor, to let yourself in. Also the reception closes after 8pm.

The room was basic but adequate. Flatscreen TV (although only local channels in Swedish). A small stove top, sink, and fridge (but I couldn't even boil water because there was no cookware, which was OK since I didn't plan to cook anyway.) Since I was traveling alone, I had a narrow single bed, not ideal but again it was perfectly adequate. The lighting and decor in the room were a bit drab. Bathroom was clean, however the strange thing was there was no tub in the room only floor drain, so after you shower, you would need to use the squeegie to dry the floor.

Wifi was available for a fee, which was about $14 for 24 hours. Expensive but not usual. There is one computer station in the lobby of Lilla Radmannen that you could use. I actually used it to print out a boarder pass on my last day.

The staff was helpful when needed and like all of Stockholm, spoke perfect English.

The best part of my stay, was the location. It is 2 stops on the subway from the central train/bus stations, or about 20 min. walk down the main pedestrian shopping street a block away. The subway station is about a 3 minute walk to the hotel. The street however is very quiet next to a nice little park.

One word of caution is. Don't make the mistake I made taking a random taxi from the train station to the hotel. This costed me over $20 for a 5 min. ride. Apparently taxi rip-off is a big problem in Stockholm.

If I were to travel to Stockholm again, I would not hesitate to stay at Bakfickan again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank siminnyc
Reviewed 20 May 2009

Our room was above a car park entrance and the door was sliding up and down all the time. We woke up at 4.45 and you couldn't have a rest during the day at all. We spent in Lilla Rådmannen only two nights and it was quite enough, never again. It was hot in the room, too.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mikael75
Reviewed 3 April 2009

Ok, so it was a little difficult to find at first! but it's at the top of the main shopping street, so don't make the mistake we did and go the wrong way out of the street! There is a lovely restaurant just down the steps by the tube (Jensens) which is a good price for Stockholm. the hotel was quaint and charming even though a little basic was perfect for our last night stay before we flew home. The staff were nice and helpfull Breakfast was FAB!!! Would definately stay again as was a great price for Stockholm. Were going to stay at another hotel but after reading the reviews I'm glad we stayed here. Can't wait to stay there again!!

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 February 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel for a long weekend city break. The location of the hotel is perfect for this because it is so close to the city centre and most of the main tourist sights are within a ten to fifteen minute walk from the hotel. The main shopping area is also nearby as are many bars and restaurants and other facilities. In spite of being so central the street that the hotel is on is particularly quiet and we were never disturbed in any way at night.

The hotel itself is small with only around 30 rooms, it is generally clean and pleasant, staff are helpful, there is a nice atmosphere and there was a good choice of food at the buffet breakfast. There is a bar and free internet access in the lobby. The bedroom was a decent size but the ensuite bathroom was very small and could be a problem for people that are bigger than us. There was tea and coffee available to make in the bedroom. This hotel was reasonably good value costing us 55 euros per person per night including breakfast, especially as hotels in the centre of Stockholm are generally on the expensive side.

On the downside a previous reviewer referred to problems with getting in to the hotel at night and this was our experience also. We were due to arrive late (around 11.30pm) at the hotel on the first night and because there are no staff on duty after 11pm, the receptionist had provided us with a code to get through the front door in order to collect our room key. However there seemed to be a problem with the key pad at the front door such that it wouldn't open, and there wasn't really anybody to help us out. There was a button on the key pad to call for assistance but the responder was on duty at another hotel and could not come out to help us. Eventually we did manage to get in to the hotel but it was a lot of bother. Given that another reviewer reported a similar problem I would advise people to seriously consider booking another hotel if you are planning to arrive after 11pm on the first night. Apart from this incident however we really enjoyed our stay at the hotel.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple