“Nice Hostel, Reasonable Price”

The Red Boat Hotel & Hostel
Ranked #93 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Tucson, Arizona
“Nice Hostel, Reasonable Price”
Reviewed 20 July 2011

The red boat is divided into 2 parts: the original red boat and a white boat behind. The reception area in the red boat serves both. The "hotel" is in the white boat and the hostel and some private rooms are on the red one. We stayed in a private room, shared facilities on the red boat. 1 adult, 1 child (age 15).

Overall, I was impressed. The reception area was clean and nicely decorated and the counter staff all fluent in English and very helpful. The breakfast buffet was good too and reasonably priced for Stockholm. The boat *moves* from time to time due to tidal action on the river but this caught a few people out!

Wi-fi was free in the reception area but our room was directly below so we could get internet there. The rooms are small, however - hey, it's a boat! The location is good with a short walk to Gamla Stan subway and a safe area to walk at night. It's cheaper to buy a glass of wine in reception rather than in a bar in town ...

All in all good value, budget accommodation.

Stockholm, however, is *expensive* ... a baked potato at the airport costs $18!
To be honest, I'm glad I went to Stockholm but won't return because of the cost.
The Armory is pretty cool but everything looks so much like Prague ... and Prague is *way* cheaper.

Red boat, yes. Stockholm, no.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank TucsonTraveller

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Well, I think this will give a different opinion to most of the other reviews but I would point out up-front that we stayed in the hotel section, not the hostel.

On arrival, we were given our room, which was in the other boat - the plain, white one - which we hadn't known before. Not the end of the world but it rather detracts from the style of the place, and the hotel section ain't cheap! The chap at the desk was very helpful. We found our room and were disappointed - it was very plain, with none of the character shown in the pictures on the website. The bathroom was poor and had some mould. Worst of all, the place was extremely hot! - so much so that we hardly slept. Lying on the bed, we just dripped with sweat - the tiny window let in no air. It was an unusually warm period but we paid 5* prices for this hotel and there was no AC, no fan, for that matter no WiFi, no TV and no... style, character.

Breakfast was fine, if not spectacular. I'd be happy with it for hostel prices. When I checked out, I politely mentioned the heat in the night had been terrible and the blonde lady on duty replied abruptly that 'you should have seen it in the hostel - it was much worse.' Well, that's not a good answer and it annoyed me to the point that I walked away determined to write a honest review on TripAdvisor.

I paid a lot of money for this room and expected the characterful and comfortable experience shown on the website. We found neither. The location is pretty good but stick to the hostel and don't go in the heat of the summer. The prices for the hotel are high and most definitely not in proportion to the quality of the experience.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mrkst

Travellers are raving about these Stockholm hotels

Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Stayed just one night with a friend. Allowed early check-in when we arrived at 8am and were exhausted after a night of traveling. Superb location and room was clean. They even gave a complimentary post card. Although breakfast is not included, the price is worth it. Great array of food. A cozy restaurant located in the hostel and bathrooms were adequate.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Penetanguishene, Canada
Reviewed 13 May 2010

I loved this hostel! The only downside was that my bed wasn't ready when I arrived in Stockholm, so I had to walk up and down the street to kill time while I waited. But they did give me a lockable place to store my luggage so I could be free to wander around in the meantime.

I met a few really great people who I shared a room with, who I ended up going out with that night. Loads of fun! And I actually found the scratched/written in names, locations and comments that prior guests had left on the undersides of the top bunks to be endearing. I'm sure the hostel didn't intend for the bunks to become guestbooks, but I appreciated it haha.

The rooms are obviously a bit cramped, since you're on a boat. But still really nice. And the bathrooms were extremely clean! If I remember correctly though, the water temperature in the showers was just below luke warm, at best... but that might have been because I went in after someone else.

The location couldn't be better. You're a five-minute walk from Gamla Stan, and there's a city bike rack just up the street. Perfect. Oh and great breakfast too :)

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2010

Den Roda Baten is a nice place. My boss a few months after I did with his family and has also stayed here and we said the same things about it.

Den Roda Baten is actually 2 boats. The first one, nearest to the bridge, is the dining room and youth hostel. The second is an series of en suite hotel room. I stayed on the latter.

The good points about the hotel are the breakfasts (basic but nice), the quirky experience and the area (near enough to be central, far enough out of the centre to be quiet when you're trying to sleep).

There were two minuses. Firstly, the rooms were incredibly tiny, similar to those on the Hull/Zeebrugge ferries. They also didn't stay very warm at night, but were roasting during the day. Secondly, the service wasn't really "top notch", in that I had to figure most things out for myself - there was no guidance. An example would be that I'd have liked to have left the luggage with them whilst making the most of my day until 4pm when I had to go for the ferry to Mariehamn, but I was told to use the left luggage in the ferry terminal instead.

It's certainly not a bad place to stay, and it's certainly an experience. Just don't expect the ritz.

• Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 10 February 2010

We had a great long weekend in Stockholm staying for 4 nights at the Red Boat in the Captain's Cabin (on the white boat behind).
The Captain's Cabin room was pretty basic but perfectly fine & was nice & warm in a very chilly October, with great views out over the water. (just don't forget you're on a boat! - somehow i was still surprised by the rocking motion!)
Service was very friendly & helpful - couldn't fault at all, & the breakfast buffet was very good with a wide selection (cereal/breads/jams/hams/cheese/fruit/eggs & tea/coffee).
Location was excellent - for walking to the bars/restaurants of Sodermalm & to Gamla Stan. & not far from the Gamla Stan T Bahn to go further afield. (& to walk up & around Monteliusvagen for amazing views - a must-do if you're staying on the Red Boat as it's so close).
Given the very high prices in Stockholm i thought this was a very good budget option.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank dinkyfruit
Sheffield
Reviewed 8 December 2009

Every year university friends and I travel to a different European city, a chance to catch up with each other, see the sight, experience the culture and drink a little local beer. And this year it was decided that Stockholm would be next on the list.

The Red Boat was chosen by a friend and on this website it looked nice. From the outside it looked nice. And it was. It’s just a pity we didn't get to stop on it, after paying for it. My friend and I were told we'd be stopping in the boat behind, The Ran. The Ran had no reception, very poor shared toilets (One male between at least 10 rooms). And oh my god, our room stank. It really smelt like dead people. The owner must have known that this room stinks as there were about five room’s fresheners under the bottom bunk! I reported the smell and how unhappy I was that our group of four had been split (Two on The Red Boat and two on The Ran). The woman on reception was nice about it, but nothing happened, we had to put up with a very smelly room (which made our clothes smell once we'd left).

I would recommend the Red Boat - Just make sure you stop in The Red Boat... And if the hand you the keys to Rooms 28 in The Ran, either remove your nose or hand the keys back.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with friends