The Red Boat Hotel & Hostel
US$248
US$217
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Story Hotel Riddargatan(Stockholm)(Great Value!)
US$154
Orbitz.com
US$277
US$177
Nordic Light Hotel
  • Breakfast included
Grand Central by Scandic(Stockholm)(Great Value!)
US$165
US$132
  • Breakfast included
Motel L Hammarby Sjostad(Stockholm)(Great Value!)
US$86
Orbitz.com
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsgamla stanwheel houseold towncaptain's cabinluggage storageshared bathroomshower curtaint banastayed here for nightscity centrebreakfast was includedconvenient locationmin walkslussensodermalmbackpackersgamlastan
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 August 2009

Came to Stockholm for an exhibition, and stayed on the boat for a week. sharing with my mate.
The boat has such character, and from the outside it looks small but inside its bigger than you would expect.
The rooms are small as you would expect, but are cleanish. Not the worst place to stay.
Its cheap and you get breakfast where you can have as much toast/ ham/ cheese/ eggs you desire. The food is laid out like a buffet style so you can have as much as you want. We sneakily made sandwiches to take with us for the day so this saved a bomb on food costs.
The staff were friendly and i couldn't really fault my experience. Stockholm is a lovely city and would definitely recommend it to people my age looking for somewhere cheap to stay.

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank misiak1986
Reviewed 2 January 2009

Unique opportunity which we are pleased we took. Sleeping on a boat in wintery december overlooking the city. Great! We really enjoyed it there. Restaurant for breakfast was obviously very simple but sufficient and it worked out a cheap alternative to a hotel. We were given the room in the boat next to the red boat, white boat if I recall correclty. They gave us the wheel house 'aye aye captain' which rocked! Yeah I couldnt move the boat but I could stand in my PJ's at the big wheel pretending haha!

Worked for me - would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2008

I stayed here when I came for a friend's wedding. My favourite hostel in Stockholm was booked out, and this place quickly answered email requests and I could make a reservation without several phone calls to Sweden.

While the price may seem high for what is offered remember that this is an expensive city. I wasn't able to find something substantially cheaper, not even in a hostel.

The accommodation was also hostel-style though. The room that I shared with a friend was tiny - bunk bed, small locker, micro-table. That's all. A place to sleep and nothing else. There were shared flowers in the bow, you had to plan ahead a little not to get into the shower-rush-hour. Oh, and you'll get a tiny porthole slightly above the waterline.

We didn't try the breakfast or any other services and basically came on board only during the night.

In a nutshell, it's cheap by Stockholm standards, but don't expect much. Since there are hostels in the city that offer more for the same price, I consider the Red Boat second choice.

However, if I'd go again if the other options were booked out.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank averell23
Reviewed 5 October 2008

Gregarious staff; standard Swedish breakfast. The room is ok - don't look too closely, don't expect too much. Strictly for crashing, no room for yoga practice, or trying out any cheesy dance.

2mins walk to the train station and 10mins walk to Old Town. A pretty convenient location. Internet kiosk on the boat.

It's ok. I would recommend it if it was cheaper. Having said that, i could not find a cheaper single room.

All the best.

• Stayed: September 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank transit_tales
Reviewed 24 September 2008

We were a group of 7 Malaysians who stayed at the Red Boat for 2 nights. As it was a boat turned hostel, the beds were double decker and it was quite small. The one that I was in was leaking and as it was raining on the night we arrived, it was wet to get to bed.

The other minus point is that bathrooms and shower are not convenient, and there was no kitchen where we could get some drinking water at night. Whatever it lacked in comfort, the Red Boat had an excellent and substantial breakfast witih a wide variety.

Staff was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends