“Being in Prison isn't that bad”
Review of Langholmen Hotell

Langholmen Hotell
Ranked #81 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 14 December 2013

This place was once a prison. It has been redone into a hotel and is quite beautiful. The halls have a symmetry and calmness. The rooms themselves are compact and small, but the beds comfortable and the bathrooms clean and modern. If you are looking for the large American hotel room this is not your place. But if you are looking for a charming location with great food and Swedish hospitality this is a very good place. The location is on a charming island that is also inhabited by artists. It is a lovely 3km walk around the island. To walk to downtown Stockholm is about half an hour or ten minutes by bicycle. Taxi is about 200 krona. I was there for a conference and so I did not have the time to be downtown. The staff was excellent and every problem I had was quickly solved. My internet did not work but they quickly gave me a little modem to plug in. Conference facilities were fantastic.
We ate in the restaurant 3 times a day and i can say that the food was excellent and different everyday. Breakfast had lots of choice and suited just about every dietary need. Dinner were tasty and the staff friendly and fun. There was no problem speaking English with anyone. They have a charming little coffee room for breaks and everyday was a new fresh baked treat. I think I gained at least 5 pounds.
this is truly a little gem of a hotel. The people kind, the ambiance simple and relaxing, the surrounding interesting and fun. I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Let me start off by saying that i stayed in this hostel quite a few years ago (before Tripadvisor was anything anyone cared about) -- and I currently watched a re-run of "No Reservations" and Mr. Bourdain reminded me of my wonderful stay and prompted me to write a review. I was visiting Stockholm with a friend and a few backpacks and that was about all. I had rekindled a friendship with my high school prom date/foreign exchange student in his homeland, and he gave us a great tour of the city. We didn't have smart phones. We didn't have computers in our backpacks, but we LITERALLY stumbled upon this place in the middle of the night. It was the best find! First of all, a hostel with private rooms and shower? FANTASTIC. Comfortable and friendly and clean.. and the aesthetic value was absolutely astonishing. Really cool place! Langholmen was actually WAY above my expectations for a prison hostel, and that was years ago! I really would love to return! I broke out all my old photos and memories!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2013 via mobile

Stayed in Langholmen during a busy May weekend. Was not sure if I should book this place since it was a bit over our budget and quite far from the centre but it was SO worth it. It's a very quirky place with lots of charm on an quiet island which feels like countryside an added bonus after a busy day in town. And the walk to the town centre is also a plus , there is always the subway but we never used it and the children enjoyed watching the boats along the promenade. The rooms are tiny but the bathroom was huge. Everywhere was very clean. The breakfast is delicious with lots of choices. The tiny museum is a gem. Would really like to go back there as its such a unique place to stay.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Agnieszka M
Reviewed 19 September 2013

No matter how much I tried to convince myself it still felt like a prison. Small room and if you are claustrofobic, look for something else. If not, go for the experience. The service was good and the breakfast too.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 September 2013

A different experience, after all it's not every day you get the opportunity to sleep in a prison cell.
The room is great, with an excellent bathroom.
The breakfast is divine, very worthwhile.
The location is reasonable, you can walk to the center of Stockholm, but it takes about 30/40 minutes.
The hotel is on an island in the middle of the river, is near a ladder gives access to a bridge that connects the right and left margin of the city.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2013 via mobile

The converted prison makes for a very interesting stay. The beds are comfortable and its nice and quiet. The staff however are a little on the stiff side and could value from some customer service training. Not all visitors from other countries are as stand offish as some Swedes. Other than that a great stay and i would recommend this place.

1  Thank amidstt
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed in Långholmen, in the hotel section, at the end of May. It is definitelty the most interesting hotel I've stayed in. We had a lovely double room (which in Sweden means 2 single beds pushed together) which was overlooking the former inmates exercise yard with a simple but clean bathroom.

The wifi signal was excellent and the water in the shower was lovely and warm and the water pressure very good.

The hotel is a little bit outside the very centre of Stockholm but it is easy to get to the underground station and there is free parking at the hotel which is very useful if you're renting a car (or bringing your own) as parking in Stockholm tends to be quite expensive.

The staff at the reception desk were very friendly and were very helpful in suggesting nearby restaurants and telling us how to get to various places.

My favorite part of my stay was definitely the buffet breakfast, sitting outside in the sunshine.

I would definitely recommend Långholmen and would love to stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple