“Great location, good room”

Clarion Hotel Stockholm
Ranked #42 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 27 January 2014

We booked a "Moderate" room at The Clarion Stockholm for three nights in the summer high season. I appreciated being so close to Södermalm, where we spent much of our time, and within a solid walk's distance from most other central Stockholm locations. The complementary breakfast was generous and delicious, and the staff was helpful when asked for directions or advice.

Cons:
- Wifi password system is annoying; you have to keep requesting codes from the reception desk
- Room windows do not open

Room Tip: The small size of the room came as a surprise, even having been warned beforehand. If you're a t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
AnthonyChu, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Stockholm, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Hi amoebamoeba, it's nice to know that you enjoyed your time here and reflected on your summer stay with months later here on Tripadvisor (I can relate - it's cold here now too just as it must be in New York!) Thanks so much.

Regarding the WiFi codes, we use the system of codes ini accordance with our hotel chain's directives but appreciate the feedback. Some recent developments for our complimentary wifi is that we have now a separate server for our public areas and codes are not required for it. Also, another option is available: by becoming a member of our Nordic Choice Club loyalty program (quick and free of charge) guests are now able to use their membership numbers as a login code that covers an entire stay instead of having to change a code every 24 hours. (the membership number at this point in time however does not cover multiple devices). Besides that there are other benefits too such as food and beverage rebates and redeemable points generated for future overnight stays.

Great room tips too - if anyone is ever curious we would be more than happy to show a selection on site in order to suit preferences and needs!

Thanks once again - I hope we have the pleasure of having you as our guests again, be it in the summer or winter! All the very best, Anthony

Write a ReviewReviews (2,987)

Reviewed 21 January 2014

i spend a lot of time traveling and clock up so many miles.
always when i return to stockholm i go to my new favourite hotel.
a hotel thats welcomes you with a smile and a hug. the food is just fantastic and room to forget your problems.
clarion hotel stockholm is doing what other hotels have failed to do in the market.
they treat you like a family guest and not a customer.
keep up the great work.
i will be back again and again.

Room Tip: just ask. they are so helpful.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Alan k, we are very flattered - thank you so much! Despite the fact that we have a large property we really strive to treat our guests in a personal manner that makes them feel at home at any given opportunity, and your comments have been shared to encourage all here to keep it up. Thanks once again for the feedback and welcome back to us at any time. Warm regards, Anthony

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I was there on business and for me this hotel ticked the boxes. The room was a decent size, clean and reasonably stylish. The bathroom didn't have a bath (unsure if some do) which is no issue for me but maybe for others. It was clean and usable. I have read about gaps in the misting causing the occupier to be visible. Yes there are small gaps at the edges but I if you are on show because of these your greater issue is why your partner has their face to the door looking. The main restaurant serves Asian food and the bar/restaurant other. Breakfast was of a standard I would expect and I had no problems with staff service. The subway is a 20m walk to get downtown although there are plenty of shops and restaurants within an easy walk. For those loving to exercise the gym has free weights and techno gym machines. Around the corner is a really good swimming pool and running trails along the waters edge.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your detailed and well-rounded review Skytourist! We're very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here. Incidentally to answer your question we do have many rooms with the option of shower or bath, and even some with both. Only our base-category Moderate rooms offer showers with no variations that feature a bathtub.

Take good care, we hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us and looking after you again! All the very best, Anthony

Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed 3 nights, in moderate (basic) double. I liked the room and bathroom. Both modern and 'simple' stylish. Nice comfortable bed. Own Air con control, (but not in every room) so could reduce the temp in winter as heating permenantly on. No opening window. The lighting in the room and bathroom was mood lighting. Without the option of a big main light, so was quite dim, and definately no good lighting near any of the 3 mirrors to see to do make up etc.

The hotel public areas are very nice and modern, plus roomy. Including the landings and hallways. There are 3 bars/restaurants in the hotel, although on a Thursday night, we only found one to be open.

The breakfast is a very nice and comprehensive buffet, plus the omelette lady will make whatever omelette you wish! Amazing fresh breads, but no toaster, you would need to ask a member of staff to take it into kitchen to get toasted.

We did encounter a couple of issues with our 2 rooms, but on both occassions they were satisfactorily resolved (one quicker and easier than the other)

Swimming pool small - not really a 'swimming' pool, more a plunge/get wet and refresh after sauna pool. Plus not free to hotel guests, in fact they wanted an exorbitant £19 per day to use it.

Location good, although on the fringe on the city. Its surrounded by shops and restaurants and life. The tube link is excellent, and nothing key in the central city is more the 4 or 5 stops away.

Stockholm amazing, hotel good. All in all, a very good visit.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lindlou6

Hi Lindlou6! We're thrilled that you have a positive experience here and equally appreciative that you took the time to write about it here on TripAdvisor. I'm also happy to hear that we were able to resolve some issues you had with the rooms - thanks for letting us know, it's really important to us.

I'm unsure if you ended up using the pool or if you went by to have a look, but if not it is a part of our Elements Spa and the entrance intended for an all-round spa experience and includes access to the pool, saunas, usage of ayurvedic body products and hair products, ayurvedic tea and fruit, and scheduled yoga classes. If we did not properly inform you of the specific details then we'd like to apologise for that, otherwise we respect and acknowledge your opinion. Thank you once again and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us again!

Warm regards, Anthony

Reviewed 9 January 2014

the areas that were disappointing were:

- temperature and dry air in the rooms, it was very hot, despite the termostat being turned on the low temperatures (in January), in addition no possibility to open the window.

- very unstable wifi connectivity

- loud air-conditioning which makes it rather unpleasant during sleep

- there were some signs of wear & tear on the curtains and carpets

The good aspects are the location and breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Hello riga_ef,

We're sincerely sorry to hear that your expectations were not met. Indeed, the points regarding the temperature, noise from the ventialtion and the unstable Internet areare not usual and it is unfortunate that your stay was affected by them. However as we naturally want all of our guests to be satisfied we are more than willing to be of assistance to make things right to the best of our ability.

We hope that you informed us of these details and that we were able to provide some action or alternatives. If not then we encourage everyone to not hesitate to let us know if there is something that is not quite right - either as a matter of taste of if there is a feature of the room that is not functioning as it should be. It's of the utmost importance to us that our guests are happy!

Also, although the design of the hotel is such that the majority of rooms do not have windows that open. There are however some rooms (albeit very few) that are an exception due to the architecture. We also try our best to keep the hotel updated, and attempt to rectify signs of wear individually as often as we can, and throughout the year we schedule work that involves more extensive planning and replacement.

If we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us in the future please do not hesitate to let us know of your preferences as well as the issues that you experienced this stay. You are also welcome to ask to be put in contact with myself directly - it would be my pleasure to help ensure that you have a great stay. Warm regards, Anthony

Reviewed 3 January 2014

The hotel has a good location and is well equip although I felt the service levels on this visit really let the property down. I arrived to the hotel from the airport with some friends as we were staying in Stockholm for New Year’s Eve, we arrived just around lunch time and there was a line at the reception, the line moved quickly and I was checked in. The room was very small for a “moderate double” but was acceptable as I did not plan on spending much time here, the room was generally clean with the exception of the shower head in the bathroom was not very clean (see photo). As it was New Years I checked on the availability of having some dry cleaning done, I called reception 3 times each with no response, I read the laundry bag in the room which stated express service was available so I went down to reception (as the phone is not being answered) to confirm that it would be returned in time for NYE and was told that there is no express service, when I explained it was on your laundry bag in the room the gentlemen said but we don’t have that, he advised he would call the dry cleaner and come back to me, 30 minutes later I went back to him and he said there was no answer at the dry cleaners but he would check and come back to me, I never heard from him again. That was really the start of some service (or lack thereof) issues. Later that night on returning from a bar in the city I came into the hotel through the open front door and walked to the lift, I heard some talking in Swedish but kept going, at this time I was chased and screamed at by the security staff who wanted my name and to see my room key, I understand security and safety is a major issue for a hotel but if that is the case the security guard should have been standing at the door and not sitting on the couch drinking coffee screaming for guests to come to him as they enter the hotel, this also happened on the 2nd night with another security guard, must be standard practice. On my final day I went to reception to check out, I had some coins which I did not want to leave Sweden with and gave these to the receptionist to be deducted from my invoice the remaining I would pay with my card, this turned into being a massive problem for the reception team with 3 members of staff being involved in a process that took almost 15mins with no success, finally a Manager arrived and it was fixed immediately. Overall I feel the hotel to be in a good location, the rooms offer a decent stay and are generally comfortable and clean but if this hotel wants to be special it must work on customer service. Nothing else matters if you have no guests.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank eblac
AnthonyChu, Guest Relations Manager at Clarion Hotel Stockholm, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2014

Hi eblac, thank you for sharing your experience. We are just very sorry that the potential for a positive all round experience was tarnished by the details you mentioned.

Upon reading your review I asked all teams involved if they recalled the situations you described, which they did. Our Night Manager and Head of Security felt that it was important to contact you directly to discuss your experience and I hope that your dialogue helped to address your feedback.

The miss in communication regarding your laundry request was highly unfortunate and we agree that there were a few different methods of keeping you informed of the status that we did not follow up on. This has been shared with the reception team to highlight the importance of keeping on top of details and follow-up.

With regards to the security, we have recently decided to try a change of routine to speak to guests past the entrance and in the lobby instead of right at the door to try and make the encounters more personable and feel less like "security control". However in your case the combination of a misunderstanding of addressing you in another language and not having the routine set properly in place our endeavors have had the exact opposite effect, and for that we are very sorry. It is certainly not our intention for our guests to feel that way and your feedback has helped us make refinements in our routines.

We are very pleased to hear that you would consider returning to us again, and as Jonathan mentioned please let us know when this is the case and we will see to it that we do something special for you for the inconveniences caused. Finally I would sincerely like to thank you for your balanced and constructive comments - please know that we take them very seriously. We are very sorry that we did not deliver a 100% positive experience for you, but we are very thankful that you helped us improve our operation with your comments so that we can deliver our promise with greater consistency. Thanks again, we look forward to having you stay with us again and feel privileged that you would give us another chance. All the very best, Anthony

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Really enjoyed this hotel, very nice and clean. Pretty basic. Enjoyed the bar situated over the motorway. Bar quite expensive. Food quite minimal. Had to rely on outside for food. Great location in the city and beside metro however quite diffcult to find.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello CW, we're so happy that you enjoyed your stay here!

Just to keep you updated, we currently have 2 restaurants at the hotel as well as service in our Upstairs Bar and a special menu at Elements Spa. We also have new menus in place at all outlets as of January 2014 that are significantly different than our previous offerings, so if we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us again we hope you'll find a wider range of food to satisfy a range of tastes. Thanks so much for taking the tme to write about us here! All the very best, Anthony