“Great Location”

Ranked #45 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Staffordshire, England.
“Great Location”
Reviewed 25 February 2009

Overall I really enjoyed my stay at the Clarion. The hotel is easy to find as it's signposted from the tube and directly outside the station! It's also walking distance to the Gamla Stan/ Old Town or one tube stop. The room was very clean, warm, quiet and comfortable, English channels on the TV. The hotel and room looked like the website pictures. My only criticism was that there was a weird smell coming through the vent in the bathroom, as we were not in our room that much we did not complain. The 1st floor hotel bar does excellent cocktails. The breakfast is the best breakfast buffet I have ever seen, in terms of choice they have pretty much everything! The area felt safe and there were a couple of restaurants/ bars nearby. We went on the boat sightseeing tour which I'd recommend, Stockholm city centre is quite small so it's easy to walk around. Godd value for money considering the breakfast was included. I'd categorise this hotel as a 4* not 3*.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona
Reviewed 16 February 2009

Nice hotel, in a nice part of town. Easy to find via the subway (they even have signposts within the underground to show you the right exits, etc.)

Room was good, bathroom good. Windows do not open, so it got a little warm, but since it was mid Feb the alternative might have been too chilly anyway!

Nothing bad to say about the hotel. Well...except that the ice machines did not work on three of the floors we tried. But the bar in the lobby hooked us up with a huge bucket of ice, so who cares!

Staff where pleasant and helpful, the room was nice, the restaurant was pretty good, and not too expensive. They seemed a little rushed though, and forgot a couple of things that I ordered, but since I did not pay for them, I did not mind too much.

The breakfast buffet is good. Lots of choices for breads, cereals, hot foods, cold cuts, fruits, etc. Only thing that I missed was a bigger cup so that I did not have to keep going back for a drink refill.

I would happily stay there again, and would recommend anyone to stay there for any purpose.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OsloMike
Paris, France
Reviewed 11 February 2009

The Clarion is esthetically pleasing upon arrival. However the service is lacking quite a bit, especially when it comes to communication between service staff and the front desk.
I called around 11am the day of checkout to let the front desk know I would opt for a late checkout, which is allowed until 4pm, at a reasonable hourly cost every hour past noon.
Even though let them know that I would be staying until 4pm, every 30 minutes the service staff rang my doorbell and knocked on the door to see if I was still there! Even though I told each person that knocked (around 3 different maids?!) that I would be doing late checkout, they continued to bother me! I felt like some criminal who was trying to avoid checking out of my hotel!
So much for late checkout whose original purpose was so I could get some needed rest before my flight home.

At the upstairs bar though, best drinks EVER.

Stayed January 2009
1 Thank WhatYouTalkingBout
Manchester, England
Reviewed 2 February 2009

My husband and I decided on a romantic weekend away and decided to avoid the tradtional places and head to Stockholm - and we were not dissapointed!
This hotel is well located in Skanstull, just 3 stops from T-Centralen on the tunnelbanna and is also well served by buses on line 3.
Literally turn left out of the station and walk a hundred yards and you are there, Clarion hotel!
We had shopped around and were pleased to find a 'buy two nights get a third free' deal on a deluxe double which is basically a 'mini suite' with a lounge and work area, huge double bed and a large bathroom housing both a tub and shower. The room had large floor to ceiling windows with voiles for daytime privacy and blackout curtains to ensure a great nights sleep.
The rest of the hotel was well fitted with contemporary Nordic art all over the place livening it up and taking away the traditional bland 'sameness' usually seen in large hotels.
Breakfast was fab although the breakfast room was pretty crowded making it difficult to get a table that wasn't shared but it did not detract from the amazing choice of food available.
On floor 7 there is a relax area consisting of an excercise bike and treadmill, a small jacuzzi where you could sit and look over Stockholm with a drink or relax by the fire, there was also a lovely sauna. If you need more excercise equipment or fancy a swim there is, next door an amazing leisure centre. This seemed to have an endless array of pools including an olympic pool, diving pool and a leisure pool complete with slides into the deepest splash pool I have ever encountered. There was also, for the brave and stupid! An outside jacuzzi/hot tub. The gym was great with plenty of machines and no waiting. The tip for this place is to buy or take a padlock as you will need one for the lockers and whilst they do sell them you could probably get them cheaper. The price for hotel guests is subsidised if bought from hotel reception and cost us 65KR (approx 5GBP) which was more than reasonable.
If you want to walk there is a path which takes a 10km waterside route, I did not try it but it was supposedly very good!
Location wise the hotel was great located in the So-Fo district which is very trendy, my personal fave place is Slussen however and this is located just 2 stops from the hotel on the T-Bahn.
In addition to the hotel being lovely an extra bonus as a hotel guest is that you get 10% discount on purchases at Ahlens department store adjacent to the hotel.
My hubby and I felt the service at the hotel was amazing, for such a huge place we felt valued by the staff and it was easy to believe that we were the most important people there!
Not being very 'posh' as in jeans and trainers type of people we can sometimes be looked down on in 'good' hotels, but not so at Clarion, we had a totally amazing time and look forward to returning!! Thankyou Clarion!
Quick tip, if travelling soon go to the iceskating rink which is free if you have your own skates or 4kr to hire skates and helmets and is just a fab way to pass a cold afternoon - enjoy!

• Liked — The amazing service, location, free fruit, art and live music in bars
  • Disliked — Breakfast room could be quite crowded meaning you may need to share a table
  • Stayed February 2009
2 Thank shellmark
birmingham
Reviewed 2 January 2009

Great hotel, very arty looks like the tate modern in London. Most comfy bed, great breakfast, great location right next to staition, nice helpful staff and resonable bar. Stockholm is very expensive but the weekend rate i got were i got 3 nights for the price of 2 was excellent value. I would suggest guests not to rush to the center for restaurants and bars as there are cool boho and trendy places 5 min away just ask reception they are really helpful.

Stayed December 2008
Surrey England
Reviewed 31 December 2008

Cold, bleak, sparsely populated, uninviting. No this is not a review of the Swedish countryside. This the Clarion Hotel Stockholm. How did this Hotel get a second place ranking in Stockholm ? What must the others be like.

This is the closest experience you will ever find to a prison with a reception desk. Long soulless corridors, staff in short supply
The breakfast buffet, its strongest point, does not save this Hotel from mediocrity.

The one open bar at a busy time was trying to cope with a queue of clients. But dont hold your breath. You,ll sit on canteen chairs in the lobby. A restaurant on the second floor was yearning to transform to a welcoming bar.

Bedrooms, a warning, have no cupboards or drawers, prepare to leave your clothes in your suitcases.

Taxis, be warned, will strip you of all your cash. 5 minute journeys cost equivalent of 25 Euros.

• Liked — Minibar
  • Disliked — Cold, sparse, bring comfort goods with you
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Davemaxwell
Hull,UK
Reviewed 16 November 2008

My first trip to Stockholm was made hugely more pleasurable by the Clarion. Perfectly situated for me (near my office), it covered all the bases:

- great staff, helpful and friendly
- nice, clean, modern rooms
- very quiet
- good facilities
- excellent breakfast
- very organised (wake up call, taxi booked on time)

I will be back! The only negative point was the flaky wifi in the room which I could not get working (and I'm pretty techy!).

• Liked — Great staff and very modern, clean rooms
  • Disliked — Wifi was dodgy!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)