“An awesome place to stay”
Review of Hotel Rival

Hotel Rival
Ranked #3 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Helsinki, Finland
“An awesome place to stay”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We stayed three nights over a long weekend at Rival. For the first time ever, I feel like everything at the hotel worked as it should. I think Rival wasn't special in any particular way, but it did everything so well, I couldn't have asked for more.

Staff was friendly, breakfast tasty and borrowing a DVD from reception worked well. No extra fee either. We didn't try the pillow buffet, but there was one available.

The location is in a very calm neighbourhood, close to Mariatorget -metro station. Tunnelbana in Stockholm works well, so you can trust it to travel around the city.

Rival is not for budget holidays, but it is great value for money. I will definitely consider to stay here, when travel again to Stockholm.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank chlif

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We stayed for 3 nights at the Hotel Rival. The hotel is very centrally located and our room was very quiet (a big plus given the jet lag). The staff were extremely friendly and helpful giving us advice on things to do, what to see, and how to get there. The rooms were small (typical of many European hotels), but very clean and well designed with nice extras like CDs and Videos. The breakfast was the best we have ever had in all our years of European travel...big buffet plus an extensive set of choices for breakfast items that you can have cooked to order. A very enjoyable place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back -- not the street side where people go in and out of the bar/theatre that...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Peggy C
stanmore
Reviewed 29 March 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a long weekend at the Rival and were very impressed. The hotel was in a great location very close to the Tunnelbana which made travelling around very easy. Hotel was clean and fun and the staff were so friendly and helpful, especially Sean the Concierge. Definitely worth a visit!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We've just returned from as stay at the Hotel Rival, and our first stay in Stockholm.

I'd done a little research around the most popular hotels in Stockholm, and I really liked the look of the hotel as it was a little quirky (something my fiancée really likes).

We booked into a deluxe room with a balcony and had the hotel arrange a private car transfer for us from Arlanda.

Everything was very good starting with our pickup from the airport, a nice comfortable Volvo (of course!) and our drive Thomas was chatty enough to hold a conversation with us (telling us a little about Stockholm, what to see and do on our way in) but struck the right balance of not being too intrusive.

Our checkin was slick and we were up to our room in no time.

Our room was lovely, contemporary, spacious and filled with those quirky touches we appreciate. The Blu-Ray player and CDs/Blu-Rays a nice touch. I enjoyed it out on the balcony (even if it was a little chilly) but it afford us a great view over the square and the surrounding skyline. My particular favourite was the underfloor heating which I now would love to invest in at home!

Breakfast was excellent, with plenty of choice, and items cooked to order if you so wished. My fiancee was particularly impressed with the "macaroon for breakfast!" (thanks to the previous reviewer for pointing this out!).

The staff were attentive, helpful and struck just the right balance between being chatty without being intrusive.

The bar gets busy at the weekend and is clearly popular with the locals (always a good sign) and with a theatre on premise also, I can understand why it's such a popular spot (I'm sure the superstar owner helps too!)

We found it very convenient for the city, without being too close as we like to relax when we get back. With a metro station literally just around the corner, Stockholm was open for exploration and the metro was fast, clean and easy to navigate. Gamla Stan was literally minutes away, and even if you walked there was only a 15 min walk.

A really nice hotel, that made our stay in beautiful Stockholm even more enjoyable.

Room Tip: Go for a balcony room if you can. Great when we were there but I imagine in summer it's superb...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DThompson367
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Stayed at the Rival in early September 2013 for one night and overall, this hotel was quite good. Here's my take on it.

Plus:
1. Room was clean on arrival. Spacious and well thought out with a DVD player and movies (on disc) available in your room.
2. Bathrooms were spacious and clean as well.
3. I took the balconied room which gave a great view of the garden ahead. The street is not too loud and their balcony glass door shuts tight anyway to keep any noise out.
4. Great little lounge with tea/coffee biscuits and desktop computers for use (2 of them) on the 4th floor.

Minuses:
1. Check in guy was not having a great day and it showed. Checked in at 9pm and asked if I could have a late check out tomorrow. His reply of "check with the agents tomorrow morning" is the industry standard but I tend to ask as some clerks do take the initiative of adding a remark in their system for the morning staff to read. This guy was different, his standard reply then followed with a "but I doubt you'll get it anyway". Asked him why not and he never gave me a proper answer. Told him fine, ill just check tomorrow and see my luck for which he repeated that good chance I won't get it. Told him its 9pm and we are both tired and that I can make do without his skepticism for which he scoffed. Made me leave the reception really in a bad mood. The lovely rooms kind of made up for his attitude.

2. The morning breakfast (included in the room rate I booked) was great yet busy so do anticipate this when you plan your morning and factor in a wait time to get a table (I didn't have to wait as I got the last free table). The minus (for me) is that if you are not a pig-eater (as I am), then you are down to just half of a selection of the hot meal on offer. Wish the hotel would cater to a larger customer base by offering meats sans pork/ham.

Would I stay there again? No. I guess being slightly away from the town center kind of turned me off. It is great to try once as it is a GREAT boutique hotel but the surrounding area is kinda dead with no real great choices of restaurants/things to do.

Room Tip: Balconied room if you are a smoker as it is large enough to hold a few people plus there's two c...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank RAH H
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 March 2014

After a false start checking in at another property the next morning we consulted trip advisor and decided we'd walk to the nearby Hotel Rival to take a look. This modestly sized hotel does not appear grand - it is not flashy, glossy or ostentatious - it's wonderful. Formerly a cinema the building sits on one side of a very nice park/square. The lobby is finished in warm colours and it only really hints at what you will find as you move deeper inside.The reception is modest in size but seems uncluttered and effective, and importantly, we were greeted warmly by a couple of the friendly staff neither of whom had any objection to showing us a selection of available rooms. As soon as you enter one of the rooms you notice the difference between the run of the mill chain hotel product and something that has been done thoughtfully and with style. From the warm timbered entries, the bathrooms with underfloor heating and a walk in shower, to the not overdone but importantly quality furnished sleeping and sitting area, and all the natural light one could ask for, you just know you are looking at a space you could spend time in - a space done with a style and with the care that shows it mattered to someone: something not done by a committee.
Breakfast is just right, and in a lovely room that houses the restaurant on the first floor, with big picture windows overlooking the park/sqaure.
The split level bar is a Deco treat and fills up nicely on weekends with a mix of locals and visitors adding to the feeling you are in on some Stockholm secret.
Maybe for many one or two day stay business travellers this hotel won't compete with those in the Stockholm central business area, or provide unlimited 4 am a la carte room service or liveried bellmen, but for me, as a business traveller, I will again happily stay at Hotel Rival and keep taking the cab or metro ride downtown each day to my meetings.
If you're staying in Stockholm for fun and leisure I promise you'll feel at home and won't regret a minute.
This hotel is welcoming, warm, comfortable, and high quality, with a level of attentiveness and friendliness from the staff you are unlikely to better elsewhere.
[My only regret is not being able to snap a selfie with Benny!]

Room Tip: Do yourself a favour and plump for a balcony room facing Maria Torget.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank donethatalready
Vancouver
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Hotel Rival is located in Sodermalm, which locals think of Bohemian and “Brooklyn-esque:” think young professional families, coffee shops and strollers. The hotel is located across a park and is very close to a grocery store, pub, florist and subway stop, among other small businesses. It is not located right in downtown Stockholm, as that is about a scenic, 15 minute walk away.
The room itself was small but not unlike other hotel rooms in Stockholm. The beds were too soft for my liking but I appreciated that they had a pillow menu so I was able to at least select a firm pillow! Heating is controlled centrally so the room can feel a bit chilly. The shower was one of the best I used in any hotel (uncomplicated and perfect pressure!). I loved that the hotel offered a complimentary coffee machine with wonderful coffee and even soy creamer for the lactose intolerant.
The property is very buzzy and the bar gets extremely packed on weekends. I managed to wiggle my way into a seat for a quick pre-outing drink and will say the cocktails are nothing to write home about. Head to the Gold Bar (Nobis Hotel), Marie Leveau, Pharmarium, the Story Hotel or Nosh and Chow if cocktails are your thing because Stockholm is one of the best cocktail cities in the world. All in all, great stay. 4.5 stars.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple