“Comfortable Stylish and Friendly especially in a crisis!”
Review of Hotel Rival

Hotel Rival
Ranked #2 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 25 April 2010

We planned to stay at this Hotel from April 11-15th for a short break in Stockholm and because of the Icelandic volcano ended up staying another 2 nights. So we actually stayed in 3 different categories of rooms (superior, executive and standard).

The first thing to say is that The Rival did not put up their prices when everyone was desperate to find a room, because of the volcano. We heard of another hotel charging £500 a night.

All the rooms were very clean and all had huge black and white pictures behind the bed of Abba or Ingrid Bergman or ?not sure! Each room had a selection of CDs including at least 2 by Abba. The best thing about the rooms was how comfortable the beds and the pillows are - about the best we've come across. The standard and superior rooms are not enormous but are fine. The worst thing about the rooms - the bathrooms have either a window with a blind to the bedroom or in the executive room obscured glass doors. This provides insufficient sound insulation from the bathroom! Please don't let this put you off though it wasn't a problem.

The location is good. It is on a lovely square with trees. It's about a 5 minute walk from one of the best views you'll get over Stockholm. 15 minutes walk from Gamla Stan. 200m from a metro station with trains every 5 minutes to Gamla Stan (2 stops), Central Station (3 stops). If you want to be right next to the water's edge - this is not the place to stay, but it has a lot else going for it.

We ate in the restaurant 3 times. The menu is slightly limited, but the quality of the food is very good. The breakfast choice is extensive.. The service is very friendly. There is a Cafe attached which serves good sandwiches, salads and cakes at reasonable prices throughout the day into the early evening.

We found the staff to be very helpful and friendly. We went to Stockholm airport for our return flight only to find that all flights to Britain were cancelled. We made arrangements through SJ (the train company) to get trains back to the UK and found ourselves with 2 more days in Stockholm. We didn't hesitate to rebook into the Rival. It has a small business centre with 2 PCs and printer which is all free. It also has free wi-fi. This was all very useful.

We would definitely recommend the Hotel Rival.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rthomp
There are newer reviews for Hotel Rival

Reviewed 24 April 2010

Stayed here for a short break last Summer - chose it because it was top rated on Tripadvisor, and because it's part owned by Benny from ABBA...

I agree with one of the previous reviewers - it's a great hotel, but I'm not sure if it's the very best in Stockholm.

Decent location - not in the City Centre, but in a pleasant enough residential square, and a short walk to most of the main attractions. The surrounding area is kind of trendy/up and coming, so perhaps it's a bit more interesting.

Fairly expensive for what you get - stayed in a deluxe room, which was a decent size, but not massive. Comfortable bed. Decent bathroom with separate bathtub and shower cubicle. The wall between the bathroom and the bedroom is glass, but there's a venetian blind system if you're shy... Some nice touches - dvd player, free dvd rental, and a giveaway CD to take home, featuring the staff singing a jaunty little Abba-style song. And there's Swedish movie-themed artwork on the walls.

Had breakfast in the hotel each day - the restaurant is quite fun. Lots of red velvet, felt quite cool. Decent spread, plus also the usual stuff to order.

Downsides are - no gym in the hotel, which I think is a necessity at this price point. No turndown service or doorman etc, but this place isn't that formal, I guess.

Would I stay here again? Enjoyed my stay, so yes, possibly.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2010

Funky hotel with funky rooms and public areas
Very friendly helpful staff and good quality fixture and fittings within the room including an ABBA CD !
Restaurant is nice although not fantastic and you may need to book. Bar is lively although has space over 3 levels
Good location with a 10 minute walk to the old town
Would highly recommend

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2010

I traveled to Stockholm to run in their Fall Half-Marathon and stayed at the Rival for two nights. I wanted to stay somewhere close to the start area of the HM (in front of The Royal Palace) but also, I wanted to stay somewhere stylish and fun. The Rival met those needs! I found a great rate on Otel.com for $160 a night which was about $30 less than the Hotels' website. I was worried my room would be subpar due to the bargain rate but I was pleasantly surprised! It was on the 4th floor and very nice/clean/comfortable. I was tempted to upgrade to a room on one of the higher floors that have a balcony and a bathtub but I was happy in my little room so I didn't. The hotel is close to everything and is on a lovely little street. I would stay here again definitely and recommend to others...

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2010

Since I already knew that this hotel was rated as one of the top hotels in Stockholm here on Trip Advisor before I arrived, I’m having a tough time to rate it according to my actual experience, rather than my expectations.. Because my expectations were very high. So I ended up with a strong 4 rather than the 5 and here is the reason why.

This hotel has personality. It stands out from the crowd - in a good way. The rooms are unique and the fact that the management cares for details and personal touches are visible all thru the hotel. From the glowing handles at the restaurant toilet doors (red if it’s busy and green if..you get the point) to the DVD/CD player in your room with a small selection of (very good) movies and music to accompany it and the teddy bear that sits in the chair, “welcoming you” when you arrive in your room. You will also find “the best of Abba” in the CD collection and I will presume parts of the reason are that Benny – who was part of Abba actually owns this hotel. (We even spotted him in the lobby.. Yey! J) The location is ok’ish.. You are not in the dead center of Stockholm, but in a nice neighborhood a good 10 minutes’ walk away from the old town.

I stayed in a deluxe room and everybody that I travelled with commented on how great their room were. It’s big for European standards, looks new and have some very cool design elements to it and the bed very comfortable. The reason why I don’t rate it 5 out of 5 is that the price level is very high (the room I lived in was about 2700 SEK pr. Night) and for this price I actually expect a lot of the things I mentioned above. Also we had a conference and the room we got were in the basement and even if the room looked fresh it did not have any windows and it was very small. The breakfast was ok, but I’ve had much better in average hotels. At the same time the lunch we got in the restaurant was top notch! There is also as far as I’m aware, no gym or pool. It might not be that type of hotel, but again, for this price you should almost expect it. Service was very good with plenty of people to help you out. Don’t get fooled by the small lobby.

Will I stay here again – Probably, but only if I get a better price and not for a conference. Recommended for the ones that are looking for a stylish hotel with something different. Even with the 4 out of 5.. This is one of the best hotels I have stayed on in Stockholm and even Sweden.

Oh.. And there is free wireless internet available :)

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank PerfectStay
Reviewed 4 March 2010

We had a 4 day stay at this hotel and it was a wonderful experience. The staff were friendly and well informed and very helpful. The room was perfect, bigger than I would have expected and the bathroom was a dream. The food was amazing. We ate breakfast every morning with a large selection at the buffet and a good à la carte menu. Walking distance from Gamla Stan, close to restaurants and public transportation - very, very comfortable and satisfying stay. Would definitely stay there again and totally recommend it for a pleasant stay in Stockholm.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2010

In few words, an excellent Hotel with the highest quality standards.
In June 2009 we decided to make a long weekend in Stockholm and chose the Rival Hotel.
The decission couldn't be better. The Hotel is extremelly cool and fancy, the service excellent and the location very convenient to visit the city by walk and to enjoy the nightlife in Södermalm. In fact, the Rival's lobby bar is one of the best places in the city to have a drink in a modern and sofisticated atmosphere.
We chose a Deluxe room, quite big with signature forniture and with a nice view to Mariatorget park.
Breakfast is also very good.
I'd strongly recommend this hotel to anybody planning to vist the wonderful Stockholm.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple