“Fab service in a modern funky hotel”
Review of Hotel Rival

Hotel Rival
Ranked #3 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
London
“Fab service in a modern funky hotel”
Reviewed 31 January 2011

A warm and helpful welcome in this modern hotel. The cafe was busy and atmospheric. The restaurant was very good and with excellent service. The rooms were nice, but very small. You had to kind of scoot past the bed 1 at a time. The bathroom was very nice, but very small. The hotel was well located, about a 10-15 minute walk to the old town. Stockholm is a very clean charming city with lots of good places to eat and drink, but it is very expensive.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chablis, France
Reviewed 31 January 2011

We stayed in the Rival a few years ago and we were delighted to see that it hadn't changed, but had actually stayed just as fabulous.
We had booked a deluxe room this time, (last time we booked a normal room), and we arrived to the great news that they had decided to upgrade us to a suite! We had a whirlpool bath, massive bed and a lovely balcony to look out onto the city lights.
The restaurant is still just as fantastic with delicious, fresh food at breakfast and dinner, and lunch in the nearly café Rival if you're there. Stockholm should be proud of the amazing Rival!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank parislights
birmingham
Reviewed 28 January 2011

We thought the rival was a stunning, thoughtfully put together hotel in a perfect location. Couldn't fault the food, quality of the furnishings, staff...However, the extremely comfy beautiful bed was two singles pushed together which I nearly fell down the middle of whilst rolling over in my sleep! which for a romantic break was less than romantic! We had paid for a superior room, and I felt that this should have been made clear when we booked - especially as they knew it was for our anniversary.
Such a shame as this would have been my favourite hotel I'd stayed in otherwise!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 25 January 2011

If you're looking for a place to stay in Stockholm with good value for money and a really nice swedish touch, than the Rival is just right.
It's a very sweet hotel where the staff is friendly. The rooms are quite small but have all you need: they're cosy, the beds are GREAT and it all comes with a broad CD and DVD selection. On top you can order a play station for a relatively low extra charge.
Although the neighborhood is very nice and comes with some really good local restaurants, a visit to the Bistro is a must. The pastries and the sandwiches are among the best I've ever had.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2011

The reviews on TripAdvisor led to me to this fabulous, funky boutique hotel in the groovy heart of Stockholm. It was awesome in every aspect and I loved my stay. Best hotel rooms ever. When can I move in?!

The rainmaker showerhead in the gorgeous bathroom was the icing on the cake - just what every longhaul traveller needs after flying halfway around the world! Highly recommended for business or pleasure travellers.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Lily_Was_Here
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 January 2011

Booked a weekend stay at the Rival. Had the pleasure of enjoying a very good and friendly service throughout my stay. The room was not big and the choice of TV channels is quite limited, but guests can borrow DVDs at the reception free of charge.
Would have appreciated a small amenity in the room (fruits, Swedish biscuits or water) but it is not a big deal.
Exceptional breakfast buffet (included in the rate on weekends)
Very good seafood meal at the restaurant in the evening
Helpful and smiling staff at the reception
The only disturbing element was that despite of the Do not Disturb, the cleaning lady knocked at the door and asked if she could clean the room. This, in my opinion, should not happen in such a property.
The free WIFI internet signal was not strong enough in the room and as I needed to work a bit on my laptop, I had to go on the 4th floor where there are business center facilities available free of charge for the guests.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2011

I'm sitting here thinking what I can write about Hotel Rival and I'm worried because I can't think of any negative about my stay. Not that I want to write a bad review, it's just that I can't believe my stay was that perfect!

Location was perfect, only 6 minutes via the T-Banna from the Central Station. Once you have your bearings it's only a 10 minute walk to Gamla Stan and few extra minutes to the town centre. Söder is the perfect island to stay on, there is a huge variety of bars and restaurants to chose from. Plus it has some of the best views of Stockholm from it's highest points.

Staff were friendly and welcoming.

Rooms; I stayed in an economy room and there was nothing economy about it. I always maintain that a hotel room is a place to rest and refresh so I don't need all of life's luxuries in a room. It was a single bed but very comfortable, so lovely and soft...I dozed off as soon as my head hit the pillow. The room was located at the back, no view however very peaceful, no outside noise. The bathroom was clean and had an amazing power shower. The size of the room was adequate, it held a large single bed, bedside table, chairs & table, tv unit, double wardrobe, and I could still move around with my big case sprawled out. However I was talking to an American guest in the restaurant and he thought the economy room too small. Big bonus was the CDs and CD player (and there was a TV and free WiFi). I squealed with delight when I saw those Abba CDs that I used to dance around to when I was a little girl.

Restaurants: The Bistro food was gorgeous and portions huge. Sweden is expensive, fact! Eating out no matter where you go is expensive. So you have to remember that when dining at the hotel, actually in comparsion to other restaurants the Rival Bistro is reasonably priced. I also "dined" at the Rival Cafe next door and as with the rest of the Rival chain it didn't disappoint. It's extremely busy with hotel guests and locals so get there early if you want a table.

The only thing I would say to a potential guest is calm down when you see the CDs. Early evening it was quite endearing hearing people discover their CDs and player subsequently putting a bit of Abba on. But no so endearing at 1am in the morning (which happened on my first night), so think twice before putting that CD on.

I highly recommended Hotel Rival to anyone. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled solo