“Friendly hotel in beautiful neighborhood” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rex Hotel

Rex Hotel
Ranked #59 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
Pilsen, Czech Republic
“Friendly hotel in beautiful neighborhood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

After our arrival we've been accommodated at the first floor of the inner hotel wing in a small room with the window to the busy courtyard (where the breakfast is served) next to very noisy elevator. It was not a bad room, but I was quite disappointed since I'd booked the hotel almost 9 months in advance.
We asked for the room change and we got a beautiful room in main building with windows to the street, I really appreciated the quick and friendly reaction.

The staff overall was exceptional - friendly and helpful.
Location is simply perfect. Subway station around the corner, so the restaurants and pubs and beautiful Observation park. Still it's quiet at the night.

Only thing I would upgrade is the breakfast. There was wide range of breads, but lack of pastries, fruits, vegetables etc... or places to sit.

Overall the price was reasonable and the value was more then expected.

Room Tip: Main building, higher floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Silence_CZ
Per H, Ägare at Rex Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you so much for taking time and sharing your thoughts about your stay.
I’m glad to hear that you informed the front desk when you was disappointed with your first room. All of our rooms are all different and vary in size as well as in furniture and design so we have a lot of different rooms to choose between.

I’m also happy to hear that you enjoyed the staff, service and the location.

When it comes to the breakfast, Rex Hotel is a 3 star hotel and therefore offers a continental breakfast with a variety of breads, eggs, cheeses and hams, cereal and dairy products, vegetables and fruits along with other things from our breakfast selection. If you want a bigger buffet and with warm dishes we recommend you to have breakfast at our sister hotel, Hotell Hellsten**** across the street for an extra small fee of only 20SEK.

I hope that you will return to us on your next visit in Stockholm.

Per Hellsten.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Prague, CZ
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

The bedrooms are clean and confortable (beds too soft for my taste but this is subjective).
The bathrooms are quite small and might need some improvement.

However. overall our experience was very positive thanks to super helpful and friendly staff.
We were advised good places for diner and they even made reservation for us in an efficient way.

The location of the hotel is perfect for a week-end trip: walking distance from city center and close to metro.
I would recommend to any friend visiting Stockholm.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nick-Prague
Per H, Ägare at Rex Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us.
I’m sorry to hear that you thought that your bed was too soft. I would have wanted you to announced the reception because we have extra mattresses that are harder. So next time, please inform the front desk.

But I’m very glad that you enjoyed your stay here with us and thank you so much for your sweet words.

I hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Oslo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

Me and my boyfriend stayed here in the easterholiday and really liked it. great location with subway around the corner and walking distance to everything you need. Rooms are tidy and clean, and will be cleaned every day. Breakfast is simple, but with everything you need. They even gave us an easteregg one of the days <3 stay here :-)

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Per H, Ägare at Rex Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you so much for your kind words, really warming to read.
We look forward for your next return.

milan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

This hotel, 2 subway stops from Central station is in a really strategic area to visit town and offers a good choice of clubs and restaurants if you are looking for a dining option at a walking distance. A 7/11 is just around the corner for any need.
Located close to the centre, is in the most lively area of town (there are more "trendy" ones, but I'm not sure there is enough to do when the shops close, and this happens very early in Sweden (around 5 in the evening)!
The Rooms are really nice with wooden floors and stone tiled bathrooms. Cable tv and a divine breakfast in a warm veranda complete the experience. Plus, free tea and coffee 24/7.
The price is average (100 euro per night a double room) which is not much if you consider that a youth hostel with shared bathroom will cost you only 10-15% less and that many hotels in town don't offer private facilities.

Per H, Ägare at Rex Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us. We really appreciate your kind words and are glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back as a guest in the nearest future.

Where in the world...?!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

The Rex is a lovely little hotel and a really good find if you are visiting Stockholm. Compared to other hotels in the city, what they offer is excellent value.

Some of the rooms are apparently smaller than others, but personally we stayed in a room i really couldn't fault - big new bathroom with a huge walk in shower, and a large airy room with double fronted windows, flat screen TV and very comfortable beds. I was also pleasantly surprised that the room was cleaned and tidied daily.

Coffee facilities were available downstairs, in the entrance lounge, and there was a lovely breakfast each morning in the big, bright conservatory. I don't know what previous reviewers are moaning about regarding the breakfast as there was plenty of options available; meats, cheeses, lots of different fresh bread and rolls, fruit, biscuits, juices, teas and coffee. We certainly never started the day hungry!

The staff were lovely and helped with anything we queried about Stockholm, both in the Rex and the sister hotel opposite which has a nice chilled out bar you can use your key card to get into. (They do great cocktails!)

The Location couldn't have been better - a ten minute walk along a nice row of smaller shops, bars and supermarkets and you were in the main shopping district. A further 10 minutes from there to Gamla Stan. It felt like a safe area, even late at night, and if you needed it (or didn't fancy walking) there was a metro station round the corner also.

I only have one complaint about The Rex, and that was the smoking. I have seen previous reviews on here about people smoking in the courtyard, and then the manager saying they were banning it because of complaints which i was really impressed with (and swayed me to stay here). Unfortunately though when i stayed there were still people smoking in the courtyard by the breakfast room (and the windows of some rooms). My main issue though, was that our room was at the front of the building, and there is a smoking area situated right outside the front entrance. Every night we stayed people were hanging out there talking loudly into the small hours from both our hotel and the hotel opposite, and we got woken up through the night.

Regardless of the issue with the smoking though, i wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel to people who are looking for reasonably priced, homely, central accommodation. I think the owners should be really proud of what they have created.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for one in the main building but at the back rather than the front.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jocypri
Per H, Owner at Rex Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Dear Jocypri,

Thank you for writing this lovely review and sharing your thoughts. We really appreciate your kind words and are glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us.

Sorry to hear that you were disturbed by people hanging out on the street. Smoking is prohibited in the area close by the windows at our courtyard, but is still allowed on the other part of the courtyard.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us again in the future if you come to Stockholm.

Kind regards
Berlin, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2013

The rooms are stylish, but smaller than they appear on the website. Very friendly staff. Spartanic breakfast. Excellent location, close to subway and city center. All in all, it was a fair deal, considering Stockholms generally high prices.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hain47
Per H, Owner at Rex Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2013
Dear Hain47,

Thank you for taking your time to write a review about your stay with us,
I am glad that you liked our friendly staff and great location.
Our rooms are different and vary in size as well as in furniture and colors.
Very welcome to stay with us again the next time you come to Stockholm!

Kind Regards,
Minsk
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2013

When we just came to the hotel, we liked it. Rooms were really tiny, but clean and personal was kind. But after first night I found some insects bites on my skin. We were staing there for 3 nights and after each of them the number of bites became higher. As soon as coming home a doctor confirmed, that these bites were made by the bed-bugs! Thats horrible! It's made our Stockholm trip memories really sad.

Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank dobrimind
Per H, Owner at Rex Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
Dear Dobrimind,

Thank you for your review.
What a terrible chock for me to hear what has happened to you. I cannot tell you how sorry I am for all inconvenience this have caused you.

We live in a world where everybody now is travelling everywhere, and things are sometimes brought from other places when they should have stayed there. Luggage is brought from many places and it is very hard for all hotels in the world to avoid unwanted things from happening.
I can assure you that actions have been taken immediately. Firstly by closing all rooms on the floor, then sanitize them and have them controlled by a professional in sanitizing and pest control to make sure they are 100% clean.

I would like very much to get in direct contact with you regarding this, please send an email to our hotel manager Victor Josefsson at victor@hellsten.se and I will get back to you.
Once again, I apologize for all inconvenience and I hope this will not darken the memories of your Stockholm holiday. What has happened is certainly an unwanted and unexpected experience and I can assure you that what has happened to you is extremely rare in Stockholm.

With my very best regards
Yours