“Booking this hotel was a BIG mistake”

August Strindberg Hotell
August Strindberg Hotell
Ranked #137 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 16 March 2013

It should not be so difficult to check in to a hotel that you wonder whether you'll have to find another one.

I arrived at the hotel at 9pm on a Friday, which is when I told them I would arrive. The front door was locked, and there was no one at the desk, so I used their intercom to call the night manager. He gave me the code to enter the lobby, and I entered. I waited, but no one arrived to check me in. I called back on the intercom, and I asked what was happening. He mumbled incoherently, and when I asked him what he had said, HE HUNG UP ON ME.

I hoped that he had said that he would be arriving soon, so I waited longer. After no one had arrived, I called again. He said, "What, you didn't find the envelope? It's to the left." I asked, "To the left of what?" and when I told him that I did not know what he was talking about, HE HUNG UP ON ME AGAIN. Finally, after I waited several more minutes, I found an envelope behind the check-in desk, with the key to my room.

I cut my stay short at this hotel, and I checked in to a better hotel the next day. When I checked out of the Strindberg, they told me that there was a SEK 100 fee that they would add to my bill, which they had not disclosed when I booked the room online.

This is a shame, because the hotel is otherwise fairly nice, in a good part of the city. But I have NEVER experienced such terrible service. It was late, and I was tired. They acted as if I was inconveniencing them by asking to be allowed to use the room that I had booked with them. I hope that they sell the hotel to someone who actually knows how to run a customer-oriented business.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank nbuchana
There are newer reviews for August Strindberg Hotell

Reviewed 15 January 2013

The place is on 15 minutes walking distance from everywhere in Stockholm Center. Rooms are all individual - my colleague had his bathroom almost the size of the room ... I had just a small one. Some of the rooms are on the building heading the street and more of them behind a small garden that has nice terrace tables and parasols in the summer (I have been there a couple of times). Rooms are very clean, everything in the room work well and staff is very helpful and polite. Breakfast is not a wide selection of different things, but surely sufficient. For people in need of elevator .... I think that does not exist ... tap water in Stockholm is better than Evian can ever be ... and for a good dinner near in Vasastan I recommend for example Wasahof about 10 minutes to walk (book a table in advance). If the hotel had more stars or was more expensive I offered only four points, but in its own category this is an excellent one.

Room Tip: All different - ask for alternatives if the hotel is not full. I like more the rooms in the building...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I've stayed at August Strindberg years ago and chose it again this December. Being three people in one room put is in room 107 on the ground floor. It's probably really nice in the summer since you can step out the door and enjoy almost your own patio, but the downside is that it's right next to the breakfast room - the door is actually IN the breakfast room and the noise during breakfast time is not a happy surprise. On the positive side, the hotel seems to really encourage you to enjoy Stockholm: they have a folder in the reception recommending nearby restaurants and provide maps and tourist info. Nice! On the negative side, the reception is not open at all times and we were slightly confused about how to get in since the door was locked as we arrived. There were no other bathroom amenities besides soap (good for body&hair, yeah right) which felt a little cheap. WiFi worked just fine. The extra bed - couch - was one of the most comfortable ones I've ever slept in!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 October 2012

Stayed here overnight on a business trip and thought the room was good value for central Stockholm. The room was small, but clean and fresh with a personal touch that made a nice change from the larger chain hotels. The 'desk' (read 'sideboard') I had in the room was either designed for the incredibly tall or not suited for anyone intending doing much work as it was quite high and the chair was pretty low.

Breakfast was pretty decent and the staff friendly and helpful (though I had little need of them). The only minor drawback is that the breakfast room is across a small courtyard, so you might need your umbrella if it's lashing it down (which it was!).

Room Tip: Ask which building your room is in, e.g. the same building as the breakfast room, if this is importa...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2012

The room with two beds and a bathroom was very small and the few things there didn´t work very well. The lamps at the beds had to be changed on our request. The TV was misplaced as though you were supposed to be in the bathroom to watch. The shower handle was clogged. A bar behind the two beds was placed so that your couldn´t sit in the bed without hitting your head. The room was on ground floor, facing a small backyard and it was quiet although in the center of Stockholm. Everything in Stockholm was within walking distance. The breakfast room was across the backyard and the breakfast was excellent.

Room Tip: Higher floors in the old building is to be preferred.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Stands out like something completely different than the large chain hotels. I have stayed at August Strindberg several times. Calm and cosy atmosphere.

Room Tip: Room facing the backyard
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 September 2010

I was recommended this hotel by a friend from Stockholm who had her entire wedding party staying there.

The hotel is in a residential backstreet not far from the main train station. It's very calm and close to a small park.

The room I had was rather small but clean and everything was working. The only problem is that there is no elevator, so don't bring too much luggage!

The best thing is the private court yard! Amazing! The breakfast is nice and the staff is very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business