“Loved Parlan”

Ranked #115 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
California
“Loved Parlan”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2008

Hotel Parlan truly is a pearl. We spent 3 nights at Parlan and wished we had longer. The staff (may have been the owner) was friendly and extremely helpful with getting us information about local sites. The rooms were larger than we expected and decor very modern and welcoming. We had the room next to the breakfast room and I worried it might be loud but it was surprisingly quiet. Breakfast was delicious and after 2 weeks in Scandinavia I enjoyed the addition of cereal and yogurt to the traditional meats and cheeses. The hotel is in a nice neighborhood about a 15 minute walk to the Vasa/Skansen/Nordic Museum area and the same to the Gamla Stan. We highly recommend Parlan as it is an excellent value with a great location.

• Liked — great staff and location
  • Disliked — not too close to public transportation
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brooke_cristina

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Madison, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2008

Just spent six nights at the Parlan from June 1 through June 7. As others have noted, it was almost suprising to find a hotel listed in what otherwise would have looked like an office building.

Room 23 was wonderfully bright and sunny, and the bathroom seemed quite spacious compared to a recent stay in London. Since it was very warm last week, we did have to leave the windows open overnight for fresh air - and had to get used to some noise from the street and construction in a neighboring building.

Location was perfect - just a couple of blocks to the T-Bana station in one direction, and equally close to the waterfront and tour boats and bus service in the other direction.

The morning staff was friendly and breakfast presented a nice variety - enough so that I could have my cereal and my traveling companion could have her preferred sandwich with meat and cheese.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
bandon, county cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2008

We spent four days at the Parlan and loved it. The location is great as is the price. The rooms and shower rooms are small but very clean and comfortable. The owners gave us a pass number to get in and we picked up our key at the reception desk (During our stay we only ever saw the owners at breakfast time which was fine by us but don't expect the reception to be manned as this is a small hotel with no more than 9 rooms). Guests can make tea and coffee in the kitchen and there is also a fridge and I think microwave for guest use.

This hotel felt like our home for four days. It feels more like a house than a hotel. It was so quiet and so central that we walked almost everywhere. Although the hotel was full, you never really felt that there were many people around.

Hair dryers are not automatically provided so remember to ask for one like we did! Our recommendation to the hotel would be to provide a hair dryer in each room. We also suggest that the hotel might leave an extra blanket in a drawer as the heating is at a fixed temperature.

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank KilbroganHouse
San Francisco, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2007

Based on the high ratings on tripadvisor, I booked a stay for two days. My expectations were high but my experience was just...OK. There was nothing wrong with it, but certainly it was not nice. My room was tiny - maybe 10' x 10'. There was a hot shower, small desk, tiny closet that fit four hangers, and something smaller than a twin bed with a soft mattress. I missed breakfast both days, but that part looked nice. Robyn at the front desk seemed like a nice guy. A gym would have been nice. Next time I'm in Stockholm, I think I'd look somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2006
4 Thank dj4242
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2007

I echo the sentiments of some of the other reviews here. This hotel is a welcome oasis in an otherwise slew of expensive hotels in Stockholm. I don't usually look to stay in boutique hotels, but it was highly rated by the NYT and other sources and given the dearth of affordable places to stay in Stockholm I decided to give it a try.

Location:
1. One stop away from the Central Station (T-Centralen)
2. In a tony/fashionable neighborhood that is reknown for its shops and restaurants. (Not like that matters much to me, but it indicates that it is a safe neighborhood).
3. Walking distance to Djurgarden (the island with the Vasa Museum and Skansen).

The only thing I would note is that it is located on the second floor of a building on a fairly quiet and non-descript sidestreet side street. There is no outer signage for the hotel so you just have to find #27 and then look them up on the doorbell list oustide the main door. If you arrive in the evening (as I did), the street is kind of dark, so it would be advisable to either arrive in cab or have a detailed street map so you know which way to walk when you get out of the metro in Ostermalmstorg.

Room:
Simply decorated, clean, nice-sized, bathroom en suite.

Property:
As other reviewers state, it just has a few rooms. Also a kitchen, a drawing room, another sitting room or two. It is light and airy and tastefully decorated. I think it has only 6-10 guest rooms and per the NYT it books months in advance. I contacted them on a lark and was able to get a room a few weeks in advance.

As others state, they give you a code to come and go as it is owner-run and the owners do not live there.

Breakfast is included. It was a respectable spread of the basics.

Also worth a quick mention is that since it is small, if you are a light sleeper and you are planning to sleep in, you may hear people walking around in the kitchen in the morning (wood floors). Similar to if you are home and hear people in other rooms of the house. So if you want to sleep in, this may be worth taking note of, but if you are like most people and are just looking for a place to sleep before a full day out and about in Stockholm, it should not be an issue.

Staff:
The owner couldn't have been a nicer, more accommodating person. Extremely friendly. He recommended an Italian restaurant that was reasonably priced (even by Stockholm standards). It looked "fancy" from the outside, but once inside it was casual, the portions were ample and the service friendly.

Value:
Stockholm is incredibly expensive on all fronts. This hotel cost about $200 for a weeknight and it was the best deal I found. Also, Stockholm appears to be a popular convention city and I had trouble finding a room in any central hotel for the night I needed (and I booked with a few weeks' leadtime too). Therefore, my tip is in general to book as early as possible in Stockholm.

Overall, I highly recommend this property and would stay there again.

• Liked — Staff, location and value
  • Stayed September 2007
15 Thank kala327
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2007

Good location, great staff and nice rooms. It was cozy and tastefully decorated and the rooms were spacious and had nice baths. Only 8 rooms, with very little noise from either the other hotel guests or from the street. Convenient 7-11 down on the corner and reasonable, good Italian restaurant only a block away. Local subway stop was approximately two blocks away and within walking distance of the harbor and the Vasa museum and Skansen.

• Liked — Convenience and great staff
  • Disliked — scary elevator
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
8 Thank CatlyO
Green Bay, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2007

This hotel is in a very convenient location and is run by very friendly people who go out of their way to help you. You get a code to enter the building and the hotel itself, so it feels like you are living there rather than visiting, which is a nice feeling. The owners leave at night so you are there alone, but they leave their number for you to call if anything comes up. Again, it feels like you live there. There are a couple common rooms you can sit in and there is a refrigerator guests can use to keep their water or leftovers cold.

There are only 9 rooms, and I understand you need to book fairly early. We booked about 9 months ahead. Our double room cost approximately $160 per night, and we thought it was well worth it. We were there on non-consecutive nights so stayed in two separate rooms. Both were large by European standards and had nice warm showers. Breakfast is included. If I am ever in Stockholm again (which I hope to be!) I will definitely stay here.

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff and the location
  • Disliked — Nothing