“Excellent hotel and good location”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Nordic Light Hotel

Nordic Light Hotel
Ranked #30 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
Bury, United Kingdom
“Excellent hotel and good location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed here for three nights having spent the previous week in Copenhagen, Gothenburg and Oslo, and this was the best hotel that we had stayed in.

Our train arrived in Stockholm at 1pm, and since the hotel is two minutes walk from the station we asked to leave our luggage, but a room was available immediately. Having experienced street noise at previous hotels we asked for a higher room, and were given one on the top (7th) floor. The receptionist was really helpful, with good advice for transport, dining and sightseeing, as well as information for the hotel.

Our standard room was modern and spacious, overlooking an adjoining office block so little noise from outside. Room is soundproofed, and we did not hear any noise from the corridor or adjoining rooms throughout the stay. We had a comfortable lounge chair and table, desk, TV, fridge bar, kettle and teas/coffees, wardrobe with shelf and eight hangers and a combination safe. The only criticism is that the safe is at floor level below the fridge, and you really have to kneel down to access it. There is also free wifi throughout the hotel with excellent reception and speed.

The bathroom was modern and clean, well lit with organic shampoos and hand wash. The shower is good, and unfortunately it was only on the last day that I discovered a button on top of the shower head which turns it into a water jet - perfect for massaging feet and aching muscles after walking round town.

The reception area has a number of comfortable lounge chairs, and the adjoining restaurant serves an excellent buffet breakfast with a wide range of hot and cold food, and plenty of staff to keep things moving. We did not use the restaurant in the evening so cannot comment on that menu.

The hotel is located just a five minute walk from the waterside, and just ten minutes from the old town. There is access to the T-Central tube station immediately across the road from the hotel, and the Airport Express is just a few yards away. One tip we would give to any visitor is to consider purchasing a Stockholm Card at the beginning of your stay so that all your travel is free, together with free entry to a wide variety of attractions. We purchased a 48 hour card for 650 SEK and when we added up what it would have cost to pay for each item it came to almost twice that amount.

This hotel ticked all the boxes for us, and we would definitely stay here again if returning to Stockholm.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David H
FredricSvanell, Night Manager at Nordic Light Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Wow, you really like us! We like you to!

Great to hear your through review and we are glad that on so many levels we satisfied you.
Next time you will be sure to give those massage shower heads more work to do I am sure.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon hopefully.

Paul McDonald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

A friend from Oslo had recommended this hotel to me after having a great stay there herself. I actually got the room through accrued frequent flyer reward points, so had to pay no cash out of pocket. That considered, I wasn't sure what sort if room I'd end up getting...since I did not reserve and pay through the hotel's site.

Well, from the moment I checked in to the moment I checked out, it was nothing but excellent. I had a large, beautifully decorated room, the staff were exceptionally warm and friendly, and both the breakfast and bar services were great. The hotel also features a state of the art gym with all the amenities for working off all those great breakfasts!

Several local friends visited me at the hotel, and remarked that it was a "best kept secret". Being locals, they never had occasion to stay there, but really enjoyed the hotel, and said they would recommend it to visitors. Well done, Nordic
Light!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Vektor_CA
What a cool review!
Thanks for trying to change the fact that we are one of Stockholms "best kept secrets"
It makes us proud to read such reviews especially related to our staff who are our heart.
Please come and see us again soon. We offer our best rates on our own website in case you have to next time pay yourself
Melbourne, AU
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

Quite a pleasant hotel, reasonable breakfast, excellent proximity to transport. Housekeeping could be a bit more attentive, especially with towel provision, but overall not much to complain about really, except their outrageous laundry prices. Stockholm itself is incredibly poor value for any tourist so only stay here if you get a good price- once you step out the door prepare to pay through the nose for everything.

Room Tip: The mood rooms are quite comfortable. Hotel very well soundproofed so no concerns about that.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Yes Stockholm is not for the faint hearted when it comes to budget! Luckily we off many different deals on our room prices especially if you book and pay in advance via our own website (shhh don’t tell anyone!)

We do not have a laundry ourselves and therefore we cooperate with a local dry-cleaning firm for guests laundry thus not exactly a budget friendly option. We can give directions to coin operated laundries in the city if that is an option anyone prefers.

A part of our environmental awareness policies (for which our chain is well known) is that we have signs in our bathrooms to leave the towels on the floor if you want fresh ones, or if they are hung on the towel rail we will not change them. Perhaps you missed this or perhaps we did not replace towels left on the floor? If the fault was with us we apologize!
We hope you get the chance to visit Stockholm again soon.

Paul McDonald.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

I have stayed in in several Stockholm hotels over the years and as a member of the Design Hotel group scheme thought I would try this on my recent stay - never again.

It is interesting to read over reviews here and see the same problems I encountered - hand wash and shampoo needed refilling, room dirty, one coat hanger in the wardrobe and the 'mood lighting' colour couldn't be altered ( someone had also drawn a face on it with biro..)
When informed , the reception did send up staff however it felt since the previous occupant had left the only bed had been made up and that was all. My room was absolutely tiny and when I looked at the fire escape floor plan my room was indeed the smallest on the floor - a third of it being taken up by the fire exit stairs ! I asked to speak to the manager the next morning but was told no one would be there until Monday. How difficult would it have been to upgrade me to a slightly larger room ? The Design Hotel group should seriously reconsider having this hotel as part of its portfolio - it simply isn't up the standard expected.

Room Tip: The website gives dimensions for each room but without proper photographs and a floor plan they real...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Without more information I am not sure why you did not get to speak to a supervisor or manager on duty. I apologize for that!

Like almost any hotel we have of course several room categories varying in size and equipment depending on your needs/budget. We work very hard with both our own website and through our many booking partners to make sure that descriptions match the reality. Often we find that guests who have some issue with size/type of room are those who have booked through someone else and therefore may not be aware of what they are booking.

Mentioned above our different rooms have different equipment. Our “MOOD” rooms are the ones with the very popular option of ever changing lighting colours, or if you find a colour you like you can set it to that!
If housekeeping missed anything I apologize and hope it was resolved quickly, we all make mistakes, how we resolve them defines us. Our aim is to always try to turn a negative situation into a positive.

I hope you will visit us again and this time stay in one of our “MOOD” rooms with their changeable lighting and generous size beds! Should you find that you are again booked for a smaller room feel free to enquire if we have any special deals on an upgrade.
We will use your review to help us get better!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

I had a great experience at Nordic Light Hotel. The location cannot be beat. It is literally right outside the drop off from the Arlanda Express (which is by far the easiest method of airport/downtown transportation I have ever taken in any city I have travelled so far - it runs on time and leaves every 15 minutes or so). Back to the hotel - the hotel itself has a chic and modern lobby and the staff are very helpful. I checked in to my hotel with ease and had no issue throughout my stay. I stayed in the smallest room you can book since I was travelling solo and still had plenty of room for everything with some to spare. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean.

The hotel is located about a 10 minute walk from Gamla Stan (Old Town) and about 20 from Sodermalm (posh area for good city scapes and cocktails). I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay and yes the smaller room is often an option which is appreciated by guests who either travel alone or plan on being busy in the city.
That you found it to be anyway spacious enough for you , clean and comfortable is exactly what we aim for!

Come and see us again soon!

nj
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Generally speaking we were OK with this hotel. the location is fine, right next to the high speed train from the airport and a short walk to the pedestrian mall. I longer walk to old town and public transportation to the museums but well within the radius of good. Our problem was the room was as small as the cabin on our cruise and the safe was really difficult to use,. this led to us leaving something in the safe (my bad) but when we called the hotel they claimed it was empty and had been checked. When we called again they said they could not check the safe because the room was rented. When we called a third time, this time with someone who spoke swedish the manager checked the safe and found the item., so it was not checked checked when we left, could have been checked the first time we called but we were blown off. Two lies, that is not service.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Glad to hear the location suited you.

Although we would all like to be super human we are not, we make mistakes and for those we take responsibility. I would hope that this was a misunderstanding, we certainly are not in the business of lying to anyone. In Sweden there are strong laws relating to our ability to gain access to guests’ rooms during their stay so yes it can be tricky to check the safe directly if someone else has then checked into the room. I was happy to see you got back the items you left in your room safe.

Come back again and we will do our best to improve upon your perception of us.
Zagreb, Croatia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2013

I stayed here 3 nights in July on my business trip.
The hotel is very well situated, just few steps from Central station where Arlanda Express train from the Arlanda airport arrives. Besides, if you need subway to go around, the subway station is a minute away (and it is beautiful station, painted in blue). Old town is 10 minutes walk away, and actually all Stockholm main atractions can be reached on foot.
The economy room is very very small, but clean, and the bathroom is big enough. The beds are very comfortable, the windows can be open, not too much, but enough to have a fresh air in the room. It was a little bit noisy, because there were lots of work going on on the streets around the hotel. But if you close the window, you can sleep without any noise.
The staff was extremely helpful, and the breakfast was very good with lots of different food to choose from. The only bad thing is the price, which was 165eur/night, but everything in Stockholm is expensive.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest, I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. The smaller rooms like you say still have a good size bathroom and the beds comfortable. Perfect for the price if you anyway will be out and about in the city.
Our staff and our breakfast get a lot of positive feedback, we are glad to add you to that ever growing list.
Sorry that they did some road works outside during your stay. We unfortunately are not always informed ahead of time of such work.
Please come back again soon.