“Mixed views”

Ranked #31 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Chessington, United Kingdom
“Mixed views”
Reviewed 8 August 2013

We booked a mood deluxe twin and were given room 502, a corner suite, but smaller than the room we had last time because the hotel is not square. There were two large comfy beds pushed together, a large sofa, desk, chair, fridge, kettle etc. A small bathroom had a large, deep bath with a shower over and there was a tiny separate shower, which we gave up on as it was barely big enough to stand in. The room needed a little TLC as there was slight damage to the bed surround, skirting board etc.
Like other reviewers, we also found that the air con couldn't cope (and it is on a timer!) and the street was too noisy, even from the 5th floor, to leave the windows open at night. The curtains let in a lot of light, so if you are travelling in the summer you may need shades. There is no turn down service, but two bottles of water were delivered to the room each night.
Internet connection is good when actually using it, but it drops out when the phone is not being used or when you leave the hotel, requiring re-registration, which gets a bit tiresome after a while: it seemed to work better next to the window than in the rest of the room!.
Breakfast is included and comprises a very well stocked and tasty buffet. Be warned though, the hotel's policy of "no meat Monday" means no bacon for breakfast that day!
We tried to get a drink in the bar one night and gave up after 20 minutes. We did have better luck another night, but were charged 160 kroner for a small Baileys and a beer!!
We used the gym which is fine: well equipped but too warm.
Reception staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Jesper who arranged an extension
to our room on our last day, which made life much easier.
The location is the best thing about this hotel, as it is less than 100 metres from the Arlanda Express station, and a short walk to the shops and other attractions.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PotterMoose
FredricSvanell, Night Manager at Nordic Light Hotel, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Guest,
Yes some of our rooms even in the same catagorie are not exactly identical, this can be a plus or a minus. I was glad to see you enjoyed the large comfy beds, large soffa etc. We take to heart your comments about TLC being needed and will work to improve this!

Last week we changed our network to a new better and simpler WiFi solution, we pay attention to our guests and try to adapt accordingly.
I live in Stockholm and I can tell you that sadly 160:- for a Beer and a Baileys is a totally average price.

The level of service on your first night however is not what we expect. I am not sure what happened without more detailed information but rest assured we pay attention to your comments!

We have 2 Jespers in our reception currently, both are splendid young men so we are not surprised to see that one of them made such an impression!

Please come and see us again soon and we will show you the improvements.
Paul McDonald

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Paris, France
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Hi again.

Me and my girlfriend spent one night at the Nordic Light Hotel as we were visiting
Stockholm. It is right next to the Central station which is naturally in the middle of
the city and a good starting point for any excursion.
We took the "Love package" which included sparkling wine, fresh fruits and delicious home made
chocolates, and a kit with luxury SPA products.

The room was a Superior double, with great space and an awesome view of the main street
outside through huge windows. That felt very luxurious, kind of like a very expensive apartment that you see in the movies, overlooking the city.
They had the lighting in the room set on "romance" which it really was. They were shifting in different forms and colors and helped to keep a very nice environment for the evening. Hrrm..
The bathtub was big and comfortable, however, when we arrived it was not completely clean which is never fun to discover. I phoned the reception and they immediately sent a cleaning lady which was very polite and she apologized on behalf of the hotel and cleaned our bathtub quickly and with a smile on her face. Professionalism and service is great here!

It is a very nice hotel worthy of 4 stars in our opinion.
There is something missing though too make it 5 stars although that wouldn't be completely wrong. We just feel that it needs to be a bit more "extravagant" to receive such ratings.

All in all it is super nice and I warmly recommend the "Love Package"

Enjoy your stay in the hotel, and wonderful Stockholm!

Room Tip: "Superior room" was very comfy
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review us.

The special moments we get to spend with our loved ones live in our memories so we are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay.
Less thrilled of course to hear that the tub was not cleaned to our high standards, although I have said it before and will say it again…We do not claim to be perfect however we hope that if something does go in any way wrong our guests will be impressed by how we resolve it. Seems we hit the mark on that one so for that we are happy!
I guess we will see you again soon? Perhaps you next time she will be your fiancé or wife? Or why not propose here? Let us know if we can help in some special way.

Bury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed here for three nights having spent the previous week in Copenhagen, Gothenburg and Oslo, and this was the best hotel that we had stayed in.

Our train arrived in Stockholm at 1pm, and since the hotel is two minutes walk from the station we asked to leave our luggage, but a room was available immediately. Having experienced street noise at previous hotels we asked for a higher room, and were given one on the top (7th) floor. The receptionist was really helpful, with good advice for transport, dining and sightseeing, as well as information for the hotel.

Our standard room was modern and spacious, overlooking an adjoining office block so little noise from outside. Room is soundproofed, and we did not hear any noise from the corridor or adjoining rooms throughout the stay. We had a comfortable lounge chair and table, desk, TV, fridge bar, kettle and teas/coffees, wardrobe with shelf and eight hangers and a combination safe. The only criticism is that the safe is at floor level below the fridge, and you really have to kneel down to access it. There is also free wifi throughout the hotel with excellent reception and speed.

The bathroom was modern and clean, well lit with organic shampoos and hand wash. The shower is good, and unfortunately it was only on the last day that I discovered a button on top of the shower head which turns it into a water jet - perfect for massaging feet and aching muscles after walking round town.

The reception area has a number of comfortable lounge chairs, and the adjoining restaurant serves an excellent buffet breakfast with a wide range of hot and cold food, and plenty of staff to keep things moving. We did not use the restaurant in the evening so cannot comment on that menu.

The hotel is located just a five minute walk from the waterside, and just ten minutes from the old town. There is access to the T-Central tube station immediately across the road from the hotel, and the Airport Express is just a few yards away. One tip we would give to any visitor is to consider purchasing a Stockholm Card at the beginning of your stay so that all your travel is free, together with free entry to a wide variety of attractions. We purchased a 48 hour card for 650 SEK and when we added up what it would have cost to pay for each item it came to almost twice that amount.

This hotel ticked all the boxes for us, and we would definitely stay here again if returning to Stockholm.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David H
Wow, you really like us! We like you to!

Great to hear your through review and we are glad that on so many levels we satisfied you.
Next time you will be sure to give those massage shower heads more work to do I am sure.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon hopefully.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 July 2013

A friend from Oslo had recommended this hotel to me after having a great stay there herself. I actually got the room through accrued frequent flyer reward points, so had to pay no cash out of pocket. That considered, I wasn't sure what sort if room I'd end up getting...since I did not reserve and pay through the hotel's site.

Well, from the moment I checked in to the moment I checked out, it was nothing but excellent. I had a large, beautifully decorated room, the staff were exceptionally warm and friendly, and both the breakfast and bar services were great. The hotel also features a state of the art gym with all the amenities for working off all those great breakfasts!

Several local friends visited me at the hotel, and remarked that it was a "best kept secret". Being locals, they never had occasion to stay there, but really enjoyed the hotel, and said they would recommend it to visitors. Well done, Nordic
Light!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Vektor_CA
What a cool review!
Thanks for trying to change the fact that we are one of Stockholms "best kept secrets"
It makes us proud to read such reviews especially related to our staff who are our heart.
Please come and see us again soon. We offer our best rates on our own website in case you have to next time pay yourself
Melbourne, AU
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Quite a pleasant hotel, reasonable breakfast, excellent proximity to transport. Housekeeping could be a bit more attentive, especially with towel provision, but overall not much to complain about really, except their outrageous laundry prices. Stockholm itself is incredibly poor value for any tourist so only stay here if you get a good price- once you step out the door prepare to pay through the nose for everything.

Room Tip: The mood rooms are quite comfortable. Hotel very well soundproofed so no concerns about that.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Yes Stockholm is not for the faint hearted when it comes to budget! Luckily we off many different deals on our room prices especially if you book and pay in advance via our own website (shhh don’t tell anyone!)

We do not have a laundry ourselves and therefore we cooperate with a local dry-cleaning firm for guests laundry thus not exactly a budget friendly option. We can give directions to coin operated laundries in the city if that is an option anyone prefers.

A part of our environmental awareness policies (for which our chain is well known) is that we have signs in our bathrooms to leave the towels on the floor if you want fresh ones, or if they are hung on the towel rail we will not change them. Perhaps you missed this or perhaps we did not replace towels left on the floor? If the fault was with us we apologize!
We hope you get the chance to visit Stockholm again soon.

Paul McDonald.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I have stayed in in several Stockholm hotels over the years and as a member of the Design Hotel group scheme thought I would try this on my recent stay - never again.

It is interesting to read over reviews here and see the same problems I encountered - hand wash and shampoo needed refilling, room dirty, one coat hanger in the wardrobe and the 'mood lighting' colour couldn't be altered ( someone had also drawn a face on it with biro..)
When informed , the reception did send up staff however it felt since the previous occupant had left the only bed had been made up and that was all. My room was absolutely tiny and when I looked at the fire escape floor plan my room was indeed the smallest on the floor - a third of it being taken up by the fire exit stairs ! I asked to speak to the manager the next morning but was told no one would be there until Monday. How difficult would it have been to upgrade me to a slightly larger room ? The Design Hotel group should seriously reconsider having this hotel as part of its portfolio - it simply isn't up the standard expected.

Room Tip: The website gives dimensions for each room but without proper photographs and a floor plan they real...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Without more information I am not sure why you did not get to speak to a supervisor or manager on duty. I apologize for that!

Like almost any hotel we have of course several room categories varying in size and equipment depending on your needs/budget. We work very hard with both our own website and through our many booking partners to make sure that descriptions match the reality. Often we find that guests who have some issue with size/type of room are those who have booked through someone else and therefore may not be aware of what they are booking.

Mentioned above our different rooms have different equipment. Our “MOOD” rooms are the ones with the very popular option of ever changing lighting colours, or if you find a colour you like you can set it to that!
If housekeeping missed anything I apologize and hope it was resolved quickly, we all make mistakes, how we resolve them defines us. Our aim is to always try to turn a negative situation into a positive.

I hope you will visit us again and this time stay in one of our “MOOD” rooms with their changeable lighting and generous size beds! Should you find that you are again booked for a smaller room feel free to enquire if we have any special deals on an upgrade.
We will use your review to help us get better!

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I had a great experience at Nordic Light Hotel. The location cannot be beat. It is literally right outside the drop off from the Arlanda Express (which is by far the easiest method of airport/downtown transportation I have ever taken in any city I have travelled so far - it runs on time and leaves every 15 minutes or so). Back to the hotel - the hotel itself has a chic and modern lobby and the staff are very helpful. I checked in to my hotel with ease and had no issue throughout my stay. I stayed in the smallest room you can book since I was travelling solo and still had plenty of room for everything with some to spare. The bed was comfortable and the room was very clean.

The hotel is located about a 10 minute walk from Gamla Stan (Old Town) and about 20 from Sodermalm (posh area for good city scapes and cocktails). I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Great to hear you enjoyed your stay and yes the smaller room is often an option which is appreciated by guests who either travel alone or plan on being busy in the city.
That you found it to be anyway spacious enough for you , clean and comfortable is exactly what we aim for!

Come and see us again soon!