“Stylish convenient hotel with great breakfast buffet”
Review of Nordic Light Hotel

Nordic Light Hotel
Ranked #33 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
London
“Stylish convenient hotel with great breakfast buffet”
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel location is great, very convenient for central station. Checked in after early flight & room was already available -an unexpected welcome bonus. The lobby is stylish and all staff were very welcoming and helpful including Jesper on the front desk who gave good local dining recommendations. The rooms are adequately sized & have very comfortable beds with luxurious bed linens. Generally the amenities in the room were exactly what you would expect in a 4 star hotel. Some of the furniture in the room showing minor signs of ageing such as loose handles & chipped corners but all perfectly functional. Toiletries in bathroom are luxurious organic Swedish brand but in captive holders so no nice reminders of stay to take home. The room price is competitive & fair for a convenient location in the centre of the Swedish capital. Hotel has bikes for guest use which were a great way to see this compact city. Breakfast buffet was a real treat-lots of choice with excellent local organic choices & home made preserves-yum! Cappucino was an optional chargeable extra at breakfast- a slight disappointment (they do provide very acceptable Swedish filter coffee for no additional charge). Not a five star review because detail of the cleaning slightly lets the property down. The room, bathroom & public areas were basically clean but a fixture in the lift was a little dusty & tea tray rubbish from a previous guest had been left in the ice bucket in the room. Have become accustomed to hotels of this standard offering a small surprise to guests eg. chocolate on the pillow on arrival which was missing here but extensive delicious breakfast buffet does compensate for this to some degree.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CassiusCat
SthlmNordicHotels, Supervisor at Nordic Light Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Hello!

First of all I would like to thank you for posting your review in this forum. If only all guest could be as thorough as you, our work would be so much easier...

The details of your text is just great and I hope that it will be read by many.

Again, a big thank your for writing and we hope to see you back at Nordic Light soon again. Have a great day!

Philip Persson, Nordic Light Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The Nordic Light is an interesting hotel not least because it markets itself as a designer hotel with a boutique-like experience. While I tend to gravitate toward traditional (as in classically-designed) hotels, this really intrigued me and I was looking forward to a four-night stay while in Stockholm for business.

The location of the Nordic Light is beyond superb. It's perfect for tourists, business travelers and others.

I found the staff friendly and fluent in English, just as one would expect in Sweden where English is practically the lingua franca. The service was slightly better than most three-star hotels, but it did lack in some areas. For example, there was no bellman available for arriving or departing guests needing luggage assistance. Also, the front desk was also at times only staffed with one employee, which was odd.

The public spaces were clean and designed in the very contemporary decor that one expects based on the hotel's marketing. As for my room, I was slightly disappointed. This was mostly because I actually found the room to be kind of dark. While there were several lights, there never seemed to be enough to make the room bright. The air-conditioning controls were also pretty unusual, which made it difficult for me to control the temperature during an unusually warm time in Stockholm when temperatures ranged between 85 and 90 degrees.

The room was mostly clean with only the garbage in the bathroom having not been removed from the last guest. The furniture had a fair number of dings and scratches on it and the bathroom itself could use maintenance as the caulking in the tiles was visibly dirty in some places.

Other small things were off, too. The mini-bar wasn't restocked each day despite having been used. There weren't enough towels provided, either. Also, no slippers were provided in my room, though the rooms around me all received them. (I know this because I saw the maid's cleaning cart.)

The TV selection was decent, but it would be nice if CNN or other English language programming was offered beyond the BBC World Service. Wireless internet, which was free, was more than sufficient.

Breakfast each day was pretty good with just about something for everyone's tastes in the buffet, however, the service was poor. I was never once greeted by an attendant. There also wasn't anyone making fresh coffee or espresso for guests, which I thought was odd.

It is difficult to get a good hotel in Stockholm. While the Nordic Light wasn't perfect, it wasn't bad. I would consider staying here again, but only if the price was right.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
SthlmNordicHotels, Supervisor at Nordic Light Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Hi!

I have read many reviews, but not many that are as well-written and thorough as yours.

What I can make of it is that we have succeeded in some parts but failed in some. The room should be clean upon arrival, a "hello" is easy to give the guests when entering the breakfast, etc.

I wish that we could have the same amount of feedback from every guest. Then I promise you, the hotel business would be a lot more responsive and guest friendly. I'm not saying that we aren't already, but we could have a better level of service in all departments of the hotel, which then would lead to a higher rate of guest satisfaction.

We would be honored if you returned to us. Remember that you're always welcome back to Nordic Light Hotel. Just let us know before you intend to return so that we can arrange something special for you.

Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed here for one night following cruise. Great staff - Angelika, Jesper and Jesper especially. Helpful, friendly and on the ball. Although we were there very early (about 3 hours ahead of schedule) our room was ready as soon as we arrived. This made our 24 h in Stockholm much better. Help with phone call, directions etc all freely given. We had an early departure the next day and so a packed lunch was given to us in lieu of breakfast. Coffee laid on early too - couldn't have been nicer. Last time we visited Stockholm we spent 3 nights at sister Nordic Sea (now Nordic C). This time we tried the Light and it will be our first choice. Only negative remark - the fact we only had one night due to flights only running twice weekly. Thank you - Tack!

Room Tip: Ask for a high room if you want quieter one. Ours was silent.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tomedenvale
Hi!

It was a true delight to read your well-written and positive review of our beloved Nordic Light Hotel. I will of course make sure that the staff, Angelica, Jesper and Jesper, will get the praise that they deserve.

Hope to see you soon again - you are of course always welcome back to Nordic Light!

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 26 July 2014

The location is fantastic however I stayed 4 nights and they could not arrange a remote control for the TV despite 3 visits to the reception and asking the housekeeping department, breakfast was good but never set up on time, summer-staff maybe but should not be like that. However the hotel handled my complaint in a professional matter after my check out so I have to give credit for that. Internet was not up to speed either so man times during my stay I had to use my mobile as hot spot and that should not be.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Hi,

Thanks for writing. We need more guests, like you, who really writes what they think of their experience.
It is of course not ok that you did not get your remote control after three separate contacts with the staff and the breakfast must be served on time - which it in this case was not.

I can only hope that you will return, so that we can show our true face - which really is very good.

Again, thank you for writing. I hope that we'll see each other soon again.

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Great location near to my office and the train station. Decor not to my tastes, but for one night it was quiet, fast check in and out and good breakfast. I was there for business so that's all I needed!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
SthlmNordicHotels, Supervisor at Nordic Light Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Richard,

Thank you for writing.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Nordic Light Hotel. Let's hope that your business is good and that we meet again soon.

Have a great day!

Melbourne
Reviewed 13 July 2014

What can I say about our stay at the Nordic light during the period 4th to 6th July, the staff were very friendly, the bar staff were brilliant, and the breakfast staff very friendly.
The room we stayed in was room 419, great room at the back of the hotel, this room was very quiet.
The location of Nordic light was very central, it was a five minute walk to Central station which we had arrived at from Uppsala.

The hotel also was very close to the Arlarnda Express to the airport.
We found walking to all the central tourist area very easy from Nordic light. There was a great restaurant in the hotel which we did not use but we found a brilliant restaurant up the road.

I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Stockholm for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: book room 419
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank infoMelbourne
SthlmNordicHotels, Supervisor at Nordic Light Hotel, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
Hi InfoMelbourne,

Thank you a million for your kind review and recommendation. It was heartwarming to read that you enjoyed your stay at Nordic Light.

I will let the staff know that they did good!

Hope to see you soon again.

Philip Persson, Nordic C Hotel
kununurra
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Booked this hotel after reading reviews of many property's in Stockholm. We came in by Cruise ship and allowed time In Stockholm before flying home. We arrived at the hotel at 9.30am fully expecting to have to leave our luggage and find something to do until check in time. great friendly reception staff [especially Jesper] said no problems go straight to your room. Very surprised at the large room, heaps of space to move around and a nice sitting area. Friends who had booked into a hotel around the corner, spent more time in our room than there own as there room for almost the same cost was the size of a shoe box. Overall can't find any fault with this hotel, great breakfast provided, location or standard. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
SthlmNordicHotels, Supervisor at Nordic Light Hotel, responded to this review, 11 July 2014
Dear bmr,

Thank you very much for writing this review. It means the world to us.

I will let Jesper know that you were happy with the service given. It's going to be my pleasure.

I am also very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay. Remember that you are always more than welcome back.

Take care!