“Probably the best choice in the area”
Review of Nordic Light Hotel

Nordic Light Hotel
Ranked #36 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 13 December 2008

I have stayed at most of the hotels around Stockholm Central Station and I would probably say this is the best. You would really only choose to be here to be near the Arlanda Express or a meeting venue. It's not the most beautiful strip of a very beautiful city.

This is very much a design hotel with a buzzy lobby. Not generally what I would choose on a business trip but you are quickly through it. Rooms are small but very comfortable - proper hangers, thick towels, pillows bigger than your head (often not the case in Sweden) etc.

Staff are very professional. The breakfast is delicious (but charged at SEK180).

I paid about SEK2000 for the night. Bit overpriced but the prices are very variable in the area depending on occupancy.

Be careful not to confuse the Nordic Light and Nordic Sea hotels. Co-owned and opposite each other. However, Light is a higher standard in my experience.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
NordicLight, Hotel Manager at Nordic Light Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2009

Dear JT14
Thank you so very much for you respond about our hotel ALways nice to here words like these and especially about our friendly staff.
Very welcome back soon again.
Martin Åkesson

There are newer reviews for Nordic Light Hotel

Reviewed 18 November 2008

I booked this hotel for a weekend get-away through a third party website largely due to location and the design feautures advertised. In hindsight, I made a mistake and would advise travellers to stay at the Radisson or the Sheraton a block away. My main concern with this hotel is the manner in which I was dealt with by the front office staff. In short, our reservation was captured incorrectly in the system by the administration staff at the hotel: Pre-payment was not captured, breakfast was not included as it should have been and (to add insult to injury) the front office staff had a very bad attitude when they were confronted with a print-out of my booking indicating the correct details. In terms of the hotel room itself, both the feature-lights and the safe in the room were broken and not working at all. In all fairness, these problems were sorted out immediately once it was reported and the hotel even offered a complimentary upgrade which was much appreciated. However, having to deal with the less than service-minded front office staff was such an unpleasant expererience that I will avoid this hotel in future regardless of its other attributes - and advise my colleagues/friends accordingly.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
NordicLight, Hotel Manager at Nordic Light Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2008

Dear GVAworld
I am so sorry that we apparently totally have failed in delivering the service and standard that you were expecting from us. This is not at all an acceptable manor in which you have been treated by the front office staff and I am both disappointed and sorry for this. Our staff and especially the front office staff are usually very praised for their service and attitude and it makes me sad that we in your case have totally failed. You are mote than welcome to contact me directly for more information regarding this matter.
Yours sincerely

Reviewed 3 November 2008

Good urban chic hotel, in minimalist-techno design. If you don't have a better idea how to entertain yourself at night - you can operate the color light on the bed frame, making them run, strob, pulsate etc.

Good location - right netx to the Orlanda Express Station. Good breakfast - in a chic ambiente as well.

But very, very pricey - not a best value for money. It's more about looks than contents. For instance, very small fitness room with a long waiting line for the cardio machines.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Therese T, Online Sales Manager at Nordic Light Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

Hi,
We would like to thank you for posting such a nice review about our hotel.
Thank you very much for taking your time to review your stay.
It means the world to us.

You are of course welcome back at any time.

Kind Regards,
Therese

Reviewed 8 September 2008

My wife booked this hotel for a suprise trip as she knew I liked minimalist places and I really loved it. Very very cool reception and bar area and the general feel of the place was pretty awesome. Our room had the different lighting which was fun and the bed was comfy, however it was quite small and did feel slightly box-like. Bathroom had no bath but a very good shower. TV had loads of channels but no DVD player and not many films. The location of the Nordic Light is perfect - no it's not the most picuresque area of what is a stunning city but for convenience it just can't be beaten. Overall I would give the room a 4 but as the rest of the hotel is so great I think it deserves a 5 overall. The bar was a lovely place to come back to for a nightcap each night and while the cocktails weren't cheap they were extremely good. I also liked the library type room which was nice and quiet and had free internet.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
NordicLight, Hotel Manager at Nordic Light Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2008

Dear Libero7,
Thank you for your review of the Nordic Light Hotel!
I am happy that you liked our hotel so much especially the public areas. The hotel is now eight years old and from the beginning of 2009 we are planning to upgrade our rooms also, so they do meet the same, or maybe even higer, quality as our lobby.
Welcome back with us soon again to revisit a new cool hotel room.
Thanks.

Reviewed 3 September 2008

The Nordic Light hotel is now ten years old and I think, frankly, showing its age in a few tiny ways. For a (reasonably expensive) boutique hotel it lacks some of the little touches that one might expect. For example the TV is a chunky old thing, there's no iPod docking station to play your tunes, and the lighting effects in the Superior Queen room we stayed in were not as spectacular as one is led to believe - although it plays some interesting tricks on your clothing.

Nonetheless the staff were helpful, the bed is comfortable, the room spacious and clean, the bathroom well equipped and there is free fixed internet in the room plus a laptop-sized room safe. Breakfast was excellent, overall, although some of the pastries were a day old. And the wardrobes are very small.

Thinking about it, the fact that I'm complaining about the age of the pastries shows that it's not a bad place to stay. But there are some newer, interesting hotels that have opened nearby such as the Clarion Sign. Consider checking for deals there as well as visiting the Nordic Light website.

And if you are visiting Stockholm, earn less than $250,000 a year and like more than one alcoholic drink a night, I *highly* recommend stopping in the Duty Free shop before leaving your departure airport. Otherwise you will be very thirsty. Learn from our mistake...

(Having re-read the reviews here, a final thought: the fact that the hotel manager reads the reviews and responds to them is worth an extra star in itself. Good on you, Martin Åkesson. If only all hotels were so reactive to their customers' comments.)

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank getdown

Thank you, getdown!
I got so happy for your kind words about the fact that I reply to our guests that has given us feedback about our hotel.
I really think it is important to meet the expectations and sometimes also explain why or how some things has happened. I am happy you liked our hotel and I hope to see you with us soon again. Then I will have been up earlier so the pastries are really fresh!
Once again, thanks and welcome back!

Reviewed 2 September 2008

Modern, super clean, friendly, funky, everything a young independent and up-to-date traveller could want... with a sister hotel across the road for even a little more variety! The standard rooms even come with all the essentials! The mood rooms have super funky lighting, the lobby has unusal installations and the decor is changed 4 times a year! The breakfast was great, the cocktails were superb! Every Friday from 5pm there are jam sessions, the DJ (Daniel) is just fantastic! The staff are young, knowledgable and super friendly. There is a small gym + spa also. right in front of the arlanda airport express station, and just down the road from the central station, it could not be better place! The sister hotel across the road, Nordic Sea Hotel, houses the infamous Absolut Ice Bar; a hotel where you get what you pay for, no doubt about it!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank AudreyO

Dear AudreyO,
Thank you so much for your review!
You did really come to the right place as I understand. Always fun when our guests feels like home and like both our staff and our hotel product. You are more than welcome back with us soon.

Reviewed 27 July 2008

Nice hotel located near the central train station. Location is not very charming but if you don't mind walking, the walk to the more charming parts of the city are actually very nice.

Trendy and cool rooms, we tried the superior mood rooms, which were very designed but still on the smallish side. Nice beds though and the mood lighting was interesting.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
NordicLight, Hotel Manager at Nordic Light Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2008

Dear jdr27
Thank you for your rewiev.
I hope you enjoyed yoor stay with us and it seems so when I read between the lines.
We are members of Design Hotels and have an quite minimalistic hotel. The only art we have in our hotel rooms are spotlights that can be changed after your own mood both in colours and figures. This is our art work and also why we are Nordic Light.
I promise to look after the situation why you find our staff too cool. We try to have an open relationship between our guests and our staff, and you should always be treated and greated as a friend. I am sorry if this has not been your opinion and I will make my outmost to see that this does not happen again.
Welcome back with us