“Treat guests like valued customers”
Review of Nordic Light Hotel

Nordic Light Hotel
Ranked #31 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Treat guests like valued customers”
Reviewed 1 January 2009

We choose this hotel based on the good reviews, location, and mostly for the special deal; stay 3 nights and pay for only 2. It worked out to be $115/night all inclusive with breakfast. Indeed it is steps from the Arlanda Express Train and Central Station and a 10-minute walk to Gamla Stan (Old Town).
We arrived on Christmas Eve and were given our room regardless that it was only 11am. Room 412 is right off the elevator, with windows that open onto a busy street. The walls are white and the minimalist furniture is dark wood. The light therapy is just two different color spot lights shining on the wall and on the bed. The bed is comfy and made up in high quality sheets, pillows and comforters. There is a safe, mini-bar frig, and an ice-machine right out the door.
There is very little closet space and absolutely no drawer space...there was a long bench that both our carry-on size luggage fit on. So, we just lived out of our suitcases. A couple of hooks for coats near the door would be really nice.
The bathroom has a good-sized shower stall with excellent plumbing fixtures that keep the water temperature constant and the pressure strong. The abundant towels are nice and soft. There is one white set and one gray set...great idea! The amenities are good. Even though the bathroom is small, the design makes great use of the space and there is plenty of room for your stuff. I loved the bathrobe, just the right size and so soft.
The breakfast buffet is served in the hip bar area. There is a great assortment of meats, cheeses, fruits, cereals, yogurts, fresh baked bread, coffee, and juice. A complete hot breakfast is also available, including made-to-order omelets.
It is very obvious that the hotel's mission is to satisfy their guests. Everything we wanted...the staff delivered. They gave us our room in the morning without making us wait. There's a guest lounge with two computers, no charge to use the internet. Our cruise to Helsinki sailed at 4pm, so I asked if we could get a late check out. We were able to stay in the room until 3pm.
The hotel is a great choice for a visit to Stockholm.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
NordicLight, Hotel Manager at Nordic Light Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2009
Dear Celusneck,
Thank you for staying with us for Christmas. I hope you had a nice stay in Stockholm and I am happy that you liked our hotel even if we have decided to just have our usual design the whole year around. Even the Christmas tree is missing.
Hope to see you soon again.
Martin Åkesson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Collingswood, New Jersey
Reviewed 1 January 2009

This is a really cute hotel in downtown Stockholm. My husband and I picked it for our honeymoon based on a variety of factors: They were voted "sexiest hotel in the world" by Elle Magazine, they got a great review on TripAdvisor, and they advertised in the GayStockholm travel guide.

First, the pluses: GREAT location. Literally across the street from the Arlanda Express Train Station downtown. The staff was helpful (they sent us to a great restaurant, Ulla Windbladh, on Djurgarden for our last night in town), and the breakfast was both tasty and of a wide selection.

Next, the minuses: While my husband and I weren't expecting a large room (we travel in Europe often and are familiar with the size of European hotel rooms), this was quite small, even by European standards. The bathroom shower did not drain well and we had to pile up extra towels by the floor of the shower in order to keep the bathroom from flooding.

All in all, it was definitely fun, but not what I would call groundbreakingly sexy. But still, a good hotel, fairly competitively priced, and worth the trip.

• Liked — location and breakfast
  • Disliked — flooding bathroom
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
Dear Tappdancer77
Thank you for your review.
Sorry we was not informed about the shower so we could have fixed it or maybe given you a room with a bathtub instead.
And about the Elle Magazine some years ago maybe our sexy hotel has turned more into a frienship in the relationship with our guests. But just wait and see what is coming.... Soon we will be the sexiest again. I hope.
Best regards
London
Reviewed 13 December 2008

I have stayed at most of the hotels around Stockholm Central Station and I would probably say this is the best. You would really only choose to be here to be near the Arlanda Express or a meeting venue. It's not the most beautiful strip of a very beautiful city.

This is very much a design hotel with a buzzy lobby. Not generally what I would choose on a business trip but you are quickly through it. Rooms are small but very comfortable - proper hangers, thick towels, pillows bigger than your head (often not the case in Sweden) etc.

Staff are very professional. The breakfast is delicious (but charged at SEK180).

I paid about SEK2000 for the night. Bit overpriced but the prices are very variable in the area depending on occupancy.

Be careful not to confuse the Nordic Light and Nordic Sea hotels. Co-owned and opposite each other. However, Light is a higher standard in my experience.

• Liked — Breakfast
  • Disliked — Highish price for small room
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
Dear JT14
Thank you so very much for you respond about our hotel ALways nice to here words like these and especially about our friendly staff.
Very welcome back soon again.
Geneva
Reviewed 18 November 2008

I booked this hotel for a weekend get-away through a third party website largely due to location and the design feautures advertised. In hindsight, I made a mistake and would advise travellers to stay at the Radisson or the Sheraton a block away. My main concern with this hotel is the manner in which I was dealt with by the front office staff. In short, our reservation was captured incorrectly in the system by the administration staff at the hotel: Pre-payment was not captured, breakfast was not included as it should have been and (to add insult to injury) the front office staff had a very bad attitude when they were confronted with a print-out of my booking indicating the correct details. In terms of the hotel room itself, both the feature-lights and the safe in the room were broken and not working at all. In all fairness, these problems were sorted out immediately once it was reported and the hotel even offered a complimentary upgrade which was much appreciated. However, having to deal with the less than service-minded front office staff was such an unpleasant expererience that I will avoid this hotel in future regardless of its other attributes - and advise my colleagues/friends accordingly.

• Liked — Location and design.
  • Disliked — Front office staff with bad attitude and incompetent administration staff
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
NordicLight, Hotel Manager at Nordic Light Hotel, responded to this review, 25 November 2008
Dear GVAworld
I am so sorry that we apparently totally have failed in delivering the service and standard that you were expecting from us. This is not at all an acceptable manor in which you have been treated by the front office staff and I am both disappointed and sorry for this. Our staff and especially the front office staff are usually very praised for their service and attitude and it makes me sad that we in your case have totally failed. You are mote than welcome to contact me directly for more information regarding this matter.
Yours sincerely
Zug, Switzerland
Reviewed 3 November 2008

Good urban chic hotel, in minimalist-techno design. If you don't have a better idea how to entertain yourself at night - you can operate the color light on the bed frame, making them run, strob, pulsate etc.

Good location - right netx to the Orlanda Express Station. Good breakfast - in a chic ambiente as well.

But very, very pricey - not a best value for money. It's more about looks than contents. For instance, very small fitness room with a long waiting line for the cardio machines.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — torn and worn bedsheets
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Therese T, Online Sales Manager at Nordic Light Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2016
Hi,
We would like to thank you for posting such a nice review about our hotel.
Thank you very much for taking your time to review your stay.
It means the world to us.

You are of course welcome back at any time.

Kind Regards,
Therese
London
Reviewed 8 September 2008

My wife booked this hotel for a suprise trip as she knew I liked minimalist places and I really loved it. Very very cool reception and bar area and the general feel of the place was pretty awesome. Our room had the different lighting which was fun and the bed was comfy, however it was quite small and did feel slightly box-like. Bathroom had no bath but a very good shower. TV had loads of channels but no DVD player and not many films. The location of the Nordic Light is perfect - no it's not the most picuresque area of what is a stunning city but for convenience it just can't be beaten. Overall I would give the room a 4 but as the rest of the hotel is so great I think it deserves a 5 overall. The bar was a lovely place to come back to for a nightcap each night and while the cocktails weren't cheap they were extremely good. I also liked the library type room which was nice and quiet and had free internet.

• Liked — The beautiful bar and reception. Very cool feel to the place.
  • Disliked — Room was a bit small as was the bathroom.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
NordicLight, Hotel Manager at Nordic Light Hotel, responded to this review, 17 September 2008
Dear Libero7,
Thank you for your review of the Nordic Light Hotel!
I am happy that you liked our hotel so much especially the public areas. The hotel is now eight years old and from the beginning of 2009 we are planning to upgrade our rooms also, so they do meet the same, or maybe even higer, quality as our lobby.
Welcome back with us soon again to revisit a new cool hotel room.
Thanks.
/Martin Åkesson
London, UK
Reviewed 3 September 2008

The Nordic Light hotel is now ten years old and I think, frankly, showing its age in a few tiny ways. For a (reasonably expensive) boutique hotel it lacks some of the little touches that one might expect. For example the TV is a chunky old thing, there's no iPod docking station to play your tunes, and the lighting effects in the Superior Queen room we stayed in were not as spectacular as one is led to believe - although it plays some interesting tricks on your clothing.

Nonetheless the staff were helpful, the bed is comfortable, the room spacious and clean, the bathroom well equipped and there is free fixed internet in the room plus a laptop-sized room safe. Breakfast was excellent, overall, although some of the pastries were a day old. And the wardrobes are very small.

Thinking about it, the fact that I'm complaining about the age of the pastries shows that it's not a bad place to stay. But there are some newer, interesting hotels that have opened nearby such as the Clarion Sign. Consider checking for deals there as well as visiting the Nordic Light website.

And if you are visiting Stockholm, earn less than $250,000 a year and like more than one alcoholic drink a night, I *highly* recommend stopping in the Duty Free shop before leaving your departure airport. Otherwise you will be very thirsty. Learn from our mistake...

(Having re-read the reviews here, a final thought: the fact that the hotel manager reads the reviews and responds to them is worth an extra star in itself. Good on you, Martin Åkesson. If only all hotels were so reactive to their customers' comments.)

• Stayed August 2008
1 Thank getdown
Thank you, getdown!
I got so happy for your kind words about the fact that I reply to our guests that has given us feedback about our hotel.
I really think it is important to meet the expectations and sometimes also explain why or how some things has happened. I am happy you liked our hotel and I hope to see you with us soon again. Then I will have been up earlier so the pastries are really fresh!
Once again, thanks and welcome back!
/Martin Åkesson