“Central, Clean and Cheap (For Sweden)”

M/S Birger Jarl Hostel & Hotel
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I liked this hostel a lot, Hostels get a bad name, but this one was more of a hotel, just on a boat.
I booked the cheapest option on Hotels.Com and wasn't expecting much, but I was nicely surprised.
Within walking distance of Central Station, which was ideal considering I arrived to the city at about 20minutes past midnight, found it very easy to find and it was a stones throw away from the old town 2min walk.
I got a room with a bunk, writing table and chair with on-suite wet-room shower/toilet/sink, window, radiator (only problem with this boat is the paper thin walls and if you have rowdy neighbours, but that's the same with some hotels)
Reception managed 24hrs a day, with English speaking staff, very helpful and an array of cold foods sandwiches/Crisps/Chocolate and Canned drinks and water (water from the tap was drinkable)
All in all a very pleasant 3 days, would recommends highly

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stockholm is very expensive for accommodation, it was my fourth visit and as far as value for money goes it is good. If you are running the Stockholm half marathon too, it is excellent at it is less than 200 metres from the start of the race.

The room is very very small, you gain more from experiencing how people who traveled by ship lived. Also my room had no porthole, so there was no natural light, which is a little depressing. Likewise the bathroom is very very basic.

My experience with Stockholm if you book very early, ie 6 months in advance you can get much better hotels. I would stay again, yes only if I booked late

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Eight of us stayed there in late October for a night and we really enjoyed it. The staff were very friendly, we arrived in the early hours of the morning and check in was not meant to be till 12 but they gave us our rooms straight away which was brilliant. The location is perfect based in the heart of the 'old town' and only a 10 minute walk to the centre. Also the next day there is a baggage store facility which we used to leave our bags in for the day instead of carrying them around.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Áine O
Reviewed 25 December 2013

Staying at Anedin Hostel was a really cool experience for us!
The boat itself is really nice and it really has an atmosphere of the "old ship".
The staff was really nice and helpful.
The room was comfortable with a great view (!). I read someone complained about the size, but don't forget you're on a ship! :) So for a ship cabin our room was really good and had everything we needed!
And of course the location! It's just amazing! 5 min walk to almost everything you'd like to see in Stockholm!
We've stayed there for a 3 days and we didn't use the subway/buses at all! Because there is no need!
So Anedin Hostel is highly recommended for everyone who wants to stay in a beautiful city of Stockholm, get a cool experience of living on a ship and save some time/money!
I would certainly stay again!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Anna B
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Plus: The location was very good, close to the main square with many restaurants and stores and also close to many cruise opportunities. Another plus is that you don't feel it shaking on the waves, as I expected. We had a superior double cabin with two original ship windows that open, we had a really awesome view over the water and the island. More than that, you can climb on the last floor(/deck) and have a great view, especially at night even if I'm not really sure that it was allowed (we got there really late and there was nobody to stop us, otherwise maybe somebody would since the deck was really wet and slippery and accidents could have happened if some kid or someone less responsible would've got there).

Minus: -The room was really small, you just ~30-40cm between the bed and the walls on both sides. There was a wall between the room with the bed and the small "balcony" with a small table and two dirty chairs and the windows, so we couldn't see the sky from the bed as we expected. It was really difficult to close the windows and at night it was very cold. Also the ventilation couldn't be completely stopped, and was very loud all the time and very cold in the room even if it was summer. In the first night I woke up at 5am because I couldn't stand the cold and the noise anymore.
- All the cabins had problems locking. First time we leaved the room we lost half an hour trying to lock it and waiting for somebody to help us - he also tried a lot until he managed but then we had the same problem every time we went out and we saw and heard other people trying hard to lock their cabins as well. So don't leave anything valuable in the room.
- At night there was no way to buy something to eat/drink.
- The bathroom was really small and the shower directly on the floor caused an accumulation of water of about 10cm every time we showered. The lack of a mop or something like that was really annoying.

All in all it might be a nice experience for a night or two but I couldn't stand more than that! Next time I will visit Stockholm I will stay at a hotel in the same area but not on a ship for sure!

Room Tip: If you care about your comfort even a little, the a superior cabin!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank alitzuca
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I've never stayed in a boat before and it was a super cool experience. The location was simply the best, centrally located in the old town, no doubt the most beautiful part of the city. The staff was super nice and our cabin was basic and comfy, exactly what you are looking for when traveling on budget right? You can wander around the boat and enjoy the kitsch decoration, the old maps on the walls... it was charming. It is not the cleanest place I have ever been but to be honest it was not dirty either, just average, as said basic and simple perfect for when you are planning to explore the city and stop at the hotel to rest :)
The fact of sleeping in a boat gave it the extra romantic bit, I would recommend to anyone traveling with your partner or friends. Also it was sooooo cheap compared with the other alternatives, Stockholm is ridiculously expensive so I would definitely repeat in this place to save some crowns for other things :)

Room Tip: We went for the no-sharing cheapest option : cabin for two with no window. When we arrived there and...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tatiana G
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Located on the water beside the old city
Cabins small but compact and quite and very clean.. use squeegee in bathroom to "dry" floor
Mattress firm but not rock hard
Plenty of hot water
Excellent wifi in upstairs lounge but not in cabin
Upstairs lounge comfortable with free (the only thing free in Stockholm !) hot water for coffee/tea
Breakfast available 90 kroner