“Perfect !”

M/S Birger Jarl Hostel & Hotel
Reviewed 11 March 2014

A perfect week-end in this wonderful boat !! We've been upgraded without taxes, the staf is really friendly, we have a beautiful wifi area with coffee microwave, water etc...
I really enjoyed my stay there, it's a pleasure to walk on the boat and looking the beautiful view of Stockholm.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 March 2014

This place is a pretty standard hostel in terms of quality and fairly priced compared to the other hostels in the immediate area of Gamla Stan. It's pretty clean and the rooms are OK, but the wifi does not go throughout the boat, only in the lounge area so that's unfortunate. The other selling point here is that it's unique because it's on a boat, but it's just simply that.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ee978
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I have stayed for three days. The price was quite inexpensive and the place was clean. As it was located in the Old Town and near to three metro stations, it was quite convenient to visit the attractions in Old Towns and go to different places in Stockholm. Also, it is located in the habour, the view was excellent and the night view was quite attractive. However, limited facilities and simple setting were major disadvantages.

Room Tip: Don't choose the room without windows.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed in a four room ensuite. It was excellent value for money and we really enjoyed our stay. If you are fussy about space and particular about your bathroom this is not for you. The room is very compact but that was what we were expecting and because we went with these expectations we loved it! The water was always hot and considering how cold it was outside our room was always cosy. Reception staff were very helpful.

My only lows were the fact the hotel advertised selling duty Free in a little on board shop but when we asked the shop no longer opens, as the ship doesn't travel anymore between Sweden and Finland. I think therefore they should remove the advertising on the shop front and just make it clear that the shop no longer operates for guests. The other was that the on board bar was absolutely dead and often not open. As you can see both my complaints relate to alcohol but I can assure you I am not alcoholic!

We were in the centre of everything and I cannot fault the hotel on the location. I would definitely stay at this hotel or a similar hotel again and really enjoyed our holiday!

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Its cheap and basic, but in a great location in Stockholm. If you just want a cheap bunk for the night, its perfect. You are right in the Gamla Stan (old town). I would recommend it for this and nothing else. Staff are friendly enough.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I liked this hostel a lot, Hostels get a bad name, but this one was more of a hotel, just on a boat.
I booked the cheapest option on Hotels.Com and wasn't expecting much, but I was nicely surprised.
Within walking distance of Central Station, which was ideal considering I arrived to the city at about 20minutes past midnight, found it very easy to find and it was a stones throw away from the old town 2min walk.
I got a room with a bunk, writing table and chair with on-suite wet-room shower/toilet/sink, window, radiator (only problem with this boat is the paper thin walls and if you have rowdy neighbours, but that's the same with some hotels)
Reception managed 24hrs a day, with English speaking staff, very helpful and an array of cold foods sandwiches/Crisps/Chocolate and Canned drinks and water (water from the tap was drinkable)
All in all a very pleasant 3 days, would recommends highly

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stockholm is very expensive for accommodation, it was my fourth visit and as far as value for money goes it is good. If you are running the Stockholm half marathon too, it is excellent at it is less than 200 metres from the start of the race.

The room is very very small, you gain more from experiencing how people who traveled by ship lived. Also my room had no porthole, so there was no natural light, which is a little depressing. Likewise the bathroom is very very basic.

My experience with Stockholm if you book very early, ie 6 months in advance you can get much better hotels. I would stay again, yes only if I booked late

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends