“Nice Location, decent rooms”
Review of Hotel Hellsten

Hotel Hellsten
Ranked #49 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 14 April 2014

I've stayed at Hellsten for 2 nights in March.
The Hotel is well located with a nice decoration and nice atmosphere. The breakfast is good and the bar is also good and nice to spend some time at the end of the day.
The rooms are comfortable but in my view too small, and the toilet is tiny!
Overall a comfortable hotel, but i believe for its price the rooms should be more spacious.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Per H, Ägare at Hotel Hellsten, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Thank you for taking time and share your reflections with us.

I'm happy to hear that you liked our public areas and breakfast.
When it comes to the rooms, all of them are unique and vary in size so next time please inform us if you want a bigger room and we will do our best to find you one that suits better.

We hope that you will stay with us again on your next wisit in Stockholm.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Hellsten

Reviewed 28 March 2014

Stay at the hotel frequently. Clean, modern, stylish. The staff is extremely helpful and welcoming. Nice breakfast included. Rooms are clean and have a warm Swedish atmosphere. Close to the TBana for fast easy access to the city and airport. Highly recommended. Always a great stay. Coffee 24/7. Internet access. Nice boutique hotel at a very reasonable price.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ThomasCT
Per H, Ägare at Hotel Hellsten, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you so much for your kind words, it’s very warming to read, really appreciated.
Looking forward for your next visit with us.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I prefer to stay in local flavor hotels and this was highly recommended by a friend who lives in Stockholm. It's in a quiet residential/business area but there are many shops and restaurants a few blocks away. There are also 2 supermarkets within a block. The old town is a good 20 minute walk away with loads of shops and more restaurants along the way.

The rooms are small (fairly typical of Europe) but nicely furnished. One of my travelling companions noted that the hotel decor seemed to be eclectic garage sale items- true but it works!

The lobby has a FREE coffee machine that makes delicious lattes- I can't believe how tasty they were.

The breakfast buffet was amazing. Fruits, yogurt, breads ,cheeses and meats and several hot selections. We feasted each day.

The staff was friendly and knowledgeable about giving me directions to the few places we needed to head to.

The only thing I didn't like was that my bedroom windows were on the courtyard and the only curtains were those heavy light blocking ones- so my only 2 choices were to have them open and everyone see in or closed which felt a little too confining. Other than that I really liked this place and would recommend it- but if you're travelling with kids I think more than 2 people to a room would be crowded.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jen78703
Per H, Ägare at Hotel Hellsten, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you for taking time and share your reflections about your stay.

I’m flattered to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us and that you liked our location. When it comes to our decoration, we have chosen to mix it with antique and modern furniture, it’s part of the design.

I’m happy to hear that you liked the breakfast buffet and our coffee machine and I agree with you, the coffee is delicious.

When it comes to the rooms are all of them unique and vary in size as well as in furniture and design. So next time, please inform the front desk and we will find you another room that suits you better.

We hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back as a guest in the nearest future.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

Stayed here for two nights at the end of January. The hotel location is very good and only a 1 - 2 minute walk to the Radmansgatan train/metro station. Just turn left when you exit the hotel, take the first right, walk to the next intersection and it's directly across the road. There is also a very nice cafe along the way, and a 7-Eleven across the road from the metro.

You will have no problem finding a large number of restaurants and cafes around the hotel and it's only a 10 minute walk to the centre of the city (Central Station), where there are many tourist attractions. It's only 2 stops from Radmansgatan, but I preferred to walk as it was quite beautiful while I was there in the middle of winter with snow. To get there by foot, take the same route to Radmansgatan metro, but instead of walking into the station, you will see a set of steps going up across the road. Walk up the stairs and go to your left and follow that road for about 8 - 10 mins. There are many shops and restaurants along the way.

Breakfast served here was ok and a bit different to what I am used to. A nice selection of cold cuts, cheese, spreads, bread/rolls, boiled and scrambled eggs, juices, tea/coffee and some biscuits/pastries. No hot dishes. It was ok for two days, but I would have been over the selection for more than two or three days.

Room was comfortable, clean and cosy with timber flooring. The radiator automatically kept the room at a very nice temperature and I could walk around in just a singlet in the middle of winter. The bed was very soft. I actually thought the mattress collapsed when I first got in, but I'm not sure if it's meant to be like that. For me, it wasn't a big issue, as arriving from Australia, I was so tired I could have slept on anything and I would have gone to dreamland.

Wi-fi in the room was complimentary and the speed was good, no drop-outs. Bathroom was very clean, but I am one that hates having the shower in the bath-tub. There was a glass partition along half of the tub, but water still would splash all over the floor. The hotel does not provide complimentary bottled water, just two glasses on the table with a note saying that Swedish tap water is safe to drink. I just bought bottled water from the 7-Eleven.

All-in-all it was a comfortable stay for two days. Clean hotel, but I have to say the corridors of the hotel really need refurbishment. The walls were covered in marks and the red carpet was in desperate need of replacement.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank sHaBz79
Per H, Ägare at Hotel Hellsten, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you for taking time and sharing your reflections about your stay with us.

I’m happy to hear that you liked our cozy rooms, location and wifi, that’s very nice to hear.
When it comes to the breakfast, we are happy to inform that we expanded our range and are now also serving both scrambled eggs and bacon.

I hope that you will choose Hellsten once again on your next return to Stockholm

Per Hellsten.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed here with my partner on Christmas and I have to say that the comfort, did not suit the promisses made in advance. The furniture - all chic-functional scandianvian design- was a little let´s say overused. The bed too soft and look into the patio, well not very romantic.
Nevertheless the kindness of the hotel team made up for all little disappointments - like a Sauna which did not get hotter than 40 degress Celsius or a too small breakfast room where you have to take care not to stuck into someone.

Nice Paino Bar, with nice concerts, very stylish Lobby area, with free internet and a really interesting design and furniture.
We would come again - so we could tell another story about the Hellsten.

Room Tip: Grade-up from Standard its worth the price and ask for rooms with a view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Per H, Ägare at Hotel Hellsten, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Many thanks for your reflections on your stay with us.

I’m sorry if the room you got did not fulfill your expectations. Our rooms are all unique and vary in size as well as in furniture and design. In some of the rooms are the design meant to be mixed with modern and antique furniture. I would have wanted you to inform the reception if you didn’t like the room so they could have helped you to find another room that pleased you. Next time, please inform us and we will do our best to make your stay as good as possible.

I’m happy to hear that you liked our public areas and we are looking forward for your return on your next visit to Stockholm. And again, if there is anything please do not hesitate to inform the front desk.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

Great hotel with lots of character and very friendly and helpful staff. Room slightly on small side, but a fantastic 4 poster bed and unique furniture. Breakfast was plentiful and very tasty. Bar looked intriguing although we headed the short distance into the old town.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Per H, Ägare at Hotel Hellsten, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you for your kind words, It sounds like you had a great stay.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel for 3 nights on a business trip recently. The staff are so friendly and helpful, the lobby, bar, and breakfast are cozy and relaxing as well! I also used the small gym in the basement and found it to be a nice addition (and helpful for working off all the delicious Swedish food I tried!).

My room was a single, though, and it was TINY. There was a wardrobe and desk in the room, but with my suit case in the room, there wasn't much open floor space left. I also probably could have showered while brushing my teeth at the sink. My bed also didn't have a real mattress, but one of those soft foam-like things that reminded me of summer camp. I'm not sure I would stay here again, but I would definitely come back for dinner and a drink!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Per H, Ägare at Hotel Hellsten, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2014

Thank you for your thoughts about your stay.

It’s very nice to hear that you liked our staff and our public areas.

I’m also sorry if you didn’t like the room you got. We are a boutique hotel and all of our rooms are unique with its own style, color, size and interior. So I would have wanted you inform us so that we could have given you another room that suited you better.

I hope that you will consider to come back to us so that we can have a chance to show you some of our other rooms.